Thread: Thoughts on Sabre Red tactical pepper spray baton

Thoughts on Sabre Red tactical pepper spray baton

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...er-spray-baton

Any first hand experience with this?

.4 oz / 6 bursts

6 foot range

I currently carry a MK6, but am finding it a bit bulky, looking to explore options.
    Taking a break from social media.

I have both.

The little baton doodad is on my keychain, and the Mk6 goes in the pocket.

The baton is easier to carry, but more difficult to rapidly deploy. Especially with a single hand. If I am deploying pepper spray, it's with my left hand, because my right is going to be very close to a pistol.

What's the OAL, and diameter?
    Taking a break from social media.

Site Supporter
    This looks a lot like the ASP Key Defender. I do not have the Sabre baton but used to carry a Key Defender. The size and shape makes it very convenient to carry, and I like the fact that it doubles as a Kubotan/Yawara/pocket stick type weapon. I did not attach my keys to my Key Defender, because I found it easier to carry and use without keys attached. Pushing the safety latch out to use te pepper spray is a slower process than I would like. During some impromptu training with my wife several years ago, we came to the conclusion that planning to strike and then spray might be better than trying to spray first at close distances.

With the Key Defender, paying attention to the expiration dates was critical, because many of the refills would lose pressure over time. I stopped carrying the Key Defender when the most recent set of inserts rattled around in the device, making me question whether quality might have gone downhill.

While I cannot comment on the Sabre product, the range of the cone spray for the Key Defender was unimpressive. Hopefully the Sabre product provides the full 6 feet. If so, I would consider trying one. Or, I might try the Sabre refills in my Key Defender to see if they will fit and if they will work.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-17-2018 at 04:36 PM.

I’m still looking. I have most all of the Sabre form factors. I really don’t like the prospects of an ND in my pockets.

I am pondering buying this one:

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...k-pepper-spray

Since it has a cap, basically. Not thrilled with the color choice but I can get past that.

Lightbulb

I edc a street defender, which is a larger version of the previously mentioned key defender. It clocks in at about 6.5 inches and on paper, the size comes with several advantages. It has a range of about 10 feet and averages about 30 1/2 second bursts per cannister. The extra length can make it trickier to pocket carry in the original format, I typically carried in my cargo pockets so it was a non issue for me, YMMV. These days, it rides in my mag pouch next to the spare mag on my phlster flex. It's worth noting that this style of O.C has the seal of approval of both Chuck Haggard, (http://www.recoilweb.com/how-to-pepp...ay-139086.html), and Greg Ellifritz, (http://www.activeresponsetraining.ne...-march-16-2018). The biggest disadvantage is that the safety can sometimes be hard to engage.

One potential advantage to the Sabre version is that I can find the Major capsaicnoids on it, so far, I can only find the Scoville Units on ASP.

User Tag List