Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R12 shell lifter

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    The trick unloading an 870 directly from the tube, is to use your index finger (or whichever one you use) to pull the base of the shell away from the barrel after you release the shell stop. That lifts it up over the depressed lifter, otherwise it hits the lip of the lifter and won't come out. I had to relearn this after using Mossbergs exclusively for awhile. Works for Winchester Defenders as well. Hope that makes sense.
    I'm familiar.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    For me cycling means ejecting chambered shell and then turning gun on its side to allow the next up shell to fall from action. Repeat until all are removed. Done this way, zero shells enter chamber. I agree that removing shells by manipulating shell stop is a better method. I haven't been able to do so without fumbling but will practice the procedure. At one time Winchester 94 lever action 30-30 rifles were common on prison pickets and are probably still used by high riders--field guards on horseback armed with rifles. The 94 is unloaded by cycling through action. ND's on pickets have occurred because of cycling. The rifles were unloaded and reloaded after each shift change. Ditto for shotguns.
    I agree that sensible safety procedures are paramount. Old ways of handling firearms are not necessarily better even if they were once taught.

I haven't seen this discussed and invite comment. Police shotguns are transported in vehicles with an empty chamber. What's acceptable? Dry firing on the empty chamber or not doing so and then using action release button in order to work action to load chamber in case of need to fire weapon.
    There are over 18,000 LE agency in the U.S. That's 18,000 possibilities for what is "standard". At the two agencies for which I have worked, standard is making sure the chamber is empty, dropping the hammer, and loading the magazine. This allows the action to be worked without having to hit the action release button.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    At the two agencies for which I have worked, standard is making sure the chamber is empty, dropping the hammer, and loading the magazine. This allows the action to be worked without having to hit the action release button.
    My major dislike of the 870 is the location of the action release, which requires one hand or other (absent long, dexterous fingers) to move from their respective firing positions. I much prefer the location on Mossbergs.

I prefer to leave the hammer back and safety on.
    1) On some loose guns, the action can start to open up just from vibrating around in the vehicle
    2) A small hedge against unauthorized access

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    For me cycling means ejecting chambered shell and then turning gun on its side to allow the next up shell to fall from action. Repeat until all are removed. Done this way, zero shells enter chamber.
    A preferred method if you can't manipulate the shell under the lifter.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 10-01-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List