Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IN YOUR OWN WORDS - What set of beliefs define a person's polical affiliation?

IN YOUR OWN WORDS - What set of beliefs define a person's polical affiliation?

Hello,

Per another discussion on a thread, I got curious:

What criteria do people use to include/exclude a person from being a part of a particular political party, loose affiliation, philosophy, etc.? Do you have a series of 'litmus tests' that act as 'by definition' criteria? Abortion? Gun Rights? Taxes? Social safety net? Gay Rights? Defense spending? Foreign Policy? Climate Change? etc.

Genuinely curious, not interested in telling people they are wrong or monsters, etc.

Just ask that you give your thoughts in your own words, and not with links and quotes.

Site Supporter
    We don't all fit into boxes.

Site Supporter
    If they can't follow the golden rule (treat others as they would like to be treated)
    If they can't, won't, or don't believe in keeping their children and elders safe and as comfortable as possible, and seeing to the best possible future for their kids
    If they would see violence or death upon anyone that simply disagrees with them or refuses to conform to their ideals

Then, generally, I think those sorts belong on a scale of 'asshole sorts of people' to 'inhuman fucking monsters' depending on the severity of the case.

Thus far in my 30-something years of life, I've found that every imaginable demographic is represented on that scale.

I don't care about a person's political affiliation or religious beliefs. I only care that they treat people with respect and dignity, and that they are honest.

I have no idea why anyone would want to abdicate thinking for themselves, even if they choose to ally themselves with a particular group or organization for any particular reason.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    If the political spectrum could be represented on a number scale, from 1 to 100... Where 1 is far left and 100 is far right....

It would be tempting to lop off 1 through 35 from "my circle" because I generally don't agree with far-left-leaning people on things...
    .... except... I do on some things...

It would also be tempting to lop off 80 through 100, because the ultra-right can usually kiss my ass about their issues... except there's some overlap on guns and the constitution and probably some other things..

Then looking at the leftovers.... 35 through 79.... well, some of those folks would like to tell me I'm going to hades for not sharing their God. Others would like to use government force to regulate away my gas-guzzler or take my money and give it to environmental causes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with JRB and Blues... Obey the Golden Rule. Disagree respectfully. Don't be butthurt when your every opinion is not embraced by others. Don't expect government to solve everything. In fact, be suspect of everything government is proposing to solve.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

You do you, just don't expect me to pay for it. Don't be a hypocrite. If you want me to pay for your addiction, recovery, prevention, and lifestyle choices, you can kiss my ass. Unless you want to fund my choices. I believe in equal opportunity, but not equal results. People want freedom of choice, cool, live with your choices. Don't make me fund, finance or put up with them. So simply put, my political leanings are Libertarian. And get off my lawn.
    Taking a break from social media.

Disregard.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 08-15-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    I think the spectrum is stupid. My continuum is whether you want to control personal liberty or not.

Economic and international politics are empirical questions as to what works to protect and aid in the growth of the USA.

As far as the Constitution, BobLoblaw - are you saying it cannot be changed or should not be ever changed through the amendment process. The original version had some provisions antithetical to the liberties of many folk at its time of adoption. Were the changes not to be done?

I see what I responded to was deleted, oh well.
    Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; 08-15-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    As far as the Constitution, BobLoblaw - are you saying it cannot be changed or should not be ever changed through the amendment process. The original version had some provisions antithetical to the liberties of many folk at its time of adoption. Were the changes not to be done?
    No, the living document bullshit is the idea that the words in the Constitution are open to interpretation and that interpretation evolves over time. If people want it to change, the amendment process is near perfect for a changing society.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    We don't all fit into boxes.
    With a chainsaw and strong stomach we do...

User Tag List