Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo floss and tennis elbow

Tennis elbow started for me maybe 15 yrs ago. The fix then was a brace like this
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/MUELLER-T...&wl13=&veh=sem
    And cortizone shots. Did the right and the left years apart. Than about 2 yrs the left started hurting again. Went to a different Doc since we had moved and he said current thinking is no shots and gave me some exercises to do. I was dubious, but 6 weeks of the exercises and pain is gone and hasn't come back.

I just never could buy into the voodoo floss idea, but like others the PT exercises linked as well as the theraband have worked really well for me.

Another forearm exercise that helps is tie a weight on the bottom of a rope (approp 3') and tie the other end to a 1" diameter 3' long broom handle/dowl rod and work your wrist/hands like the throttle on a motorcycle. palm up and down.

After I started doing this my elbow felt much better and it encouraged me start a regular stretch and exercise program. The problem with a workout program for me is, it is so easy to quit and so hard to start and stay committed to. But this thread has inspired me me to get my lazy ass in the basement to dry fire and work out.

There is a lot of good information in this thread! My background is in strength and conditioning with an emphasis in lower arm and grip strength.

If you have consistent pain/discomfort or limited range of motion after you have tried a program of exercises there is probably a muscle impingement or other issue that needs to be addressed and more exercises probably won't fix it. I would highly recommend seeing an ART (Active Release Technique) therapist and have then work on the area.

There are few things I am almost evangelical about, ART and ECQC topping the list. If you have a soft tissue issue and you have battled with it for more than a month, find and ART therapist and get it fixed. If ART and a weights won't fix it...a bow saw is your next best option.

http://www.activerelease.com/find-a-provider.asp

For those in the AZ/Flagstaff area Kym Wilkens is one of the best in the business.
    Last edited by strow; 08-15-2018 at 08:01 AM.

I used voodoo floss when tendinitis flared up. I'm not convinced it's a long-term solution, but it feels good afterwards (hurts like hell when you are doing it.)

You don't have to buy the $24 bands from Rogue. I took a MTB inner tube, cut out the valve and split the tube long ways. Couple of bucks to try it out.

To echo what others said - Tyler Twists, or reverse Tyler Twists, with a Thera-Band Flexbar were the long -term fix (knock on wood) for me.
    Last edited by BigD; 08-15-2018 at 08:37 AM.

BTW, these are the exercises I've done with the Theraband Flexbar that have worked very well for me.

Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    This thread has been great. I suffer from what I now know is "golfer's elbow", which is amusing because I don't golf. However, this ailment prevents me from doing pullups or chinups. I can do 2-3 sets of 3 without too much pain, but beyond that it hurts more and more. Before my injury, I was doing multiple sets of 6-8.

I'm going to buy one of the flex bars.

Chris

FYI, if you leave a green Theraband Flexbar in your bedroom, most construction workers won't know what it is. It took me a while to realize why I was getting weird looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Interesting concept. Thanks for posting. I have not had any serious elbow pain since using The Theraband Flexbar

https://www.amazon.com/theraband/s?i...Ck%3Atheraband
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Check out this blog and the recommended exercises: https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

I've battled it on and off for years, but haven't had any pain or flare ups since starting this routine.
    My case was pretty bad. I do not have enough time to go the range to practice so I try to compensate it with daily dryfire (One hour a day at least). Two years ago my elbow situation became so bad that I could not move my trigger finger to the point that it was impossible to open a soda can. I was not able to press a light competition Glock trigger. At some point I could not even press a computer mouse. Each time when I gripped the gun I would have a considerable pain. I had been doing the flexbar exercises prior to it a lot. Obviously it did not help me to prevent the problem. I went through 3 different doctors and 4 physical therapists. I could not shoot for almost three months and I could not go to the Nationals even though I bought the airplane tickets and stuff. Not refundable of course. I was doing various physical therapy exercises and wearing braces. I tried laser therapy and some shots. Nothing worked until I started the Absolute PT routine. I was doing it every day religiously. Still doing it 3-4 days a week. It worked very well. The key is to increase the weight to the point that it is very difficult to complete the whole set of exercises. It works fellas. It really does. Everything else is way less effective in my experience.
    Last edited by cheby; 08-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I used voodoo floss when tendinitis flared up. I'm not convinced it's a long-term solution, but it feels good afterwards (hurts like hell when you are doing it.)
    Jury is still out on whether or not it'll be a part of a long term solution, in the short term the result look promising. By itself the tape could not correct muscle imbalances, if those are at the root of the problem. Flexbars and the PT exercises haven't really done anything for me, and that's after doing them religiously for months on end. Acupuncture/dry needling helps but the cost of doing that weekly is prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This thread has been great. I suffer from what I now know is "golfer's elbow", which is amusing because I don't golf. However, this ailment prevents me from doing pullups or chinups. I can do 2-3 sets of 3 without too much pain, but beyond that it hurts more and more. Before my injury, I was doing multiple sets of 6-8.

I'm going to buy one of the flex bars.

Chris
    Have you thought about Harbinger Hooks once I figured out that every exercise doesn't need to be a grip exercise, my grip improved quiet a bit because my elbows didn't hurt less of the time.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Tennis Elbow Relief

I have found this technique works great for warm up, prevention of, or relief from tennis elbow.

Tennis Elbow Relief/Warm Up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_x1WlefJCs

To avoid tendonitis, I learned it was extremely beneficial to warm up your hands and elbows before doing any dry fire/live fire sessions. It also helps your performance to warm up your entire body. Treat it just like any other athletic event. Warm up or pay the price.

In the past, I have had bouts of tendonitis, and the treatment that I found the best relief with was acupuncture, rest, then PT.

As always, the best course of action is to prevent it, instead of having to treat it.

I would say try this technique before you live fire or dry fire, and whenever needed to prevent or treat sore forearms/elbows.

The massage you do on your forearm/elbow area with just your fingers works very well for me. I have had great success using it to prevent further flare ups.

FJR

User Tag List