Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Voodoo floss and tennis elbow

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Check out this blog and the recommended exercises: https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

I've battled it on and off for years, but haven't had any pain or flare ups since starting this routine.
    Thanks for sharing. These exercises are helping decrease the pain in my elbow and my grip is improving. I discussed these exercises with a chiropractor friend of mine who is very experienced in sports medicine and rehab, and he agreed they were appropriate for shooter's elbow and for general arm conditioning.

Be advised, when you first start the regimen, you may have pain in the elbow and in new places (hand, wrist, fingers). The exercises target muscles and tendons that you may not use very much on a regular basis. Such was the case for me and I am a regular weight lifter.
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Check out this blog and the recommended exercises: https://www.absolutept.com/shooters-elbow/

I've battled it on and off for years, but haven't had any pain or flare ups since starting this routine.
    Just a necro affirmation -- I imagine that what I had is tennis elbow, from something; I did the exercises and all pain was gone on day 3.

The Absolute PT link appears to be dead. Are these exercises the same ones? https://youtu.be/hJIIcTQjXJ8

If not, I'd appreciate it if someone could post the exercises please?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    The Absolute PT link appears to be dead. Are these exercises the same ones? https://youtu.be/hJIIcTQjXJ8

Worked for me; and yes, same.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Same exact video. I highly recommend: cured me of very painful golfer's elbow.

If I remember correctly:

Wrist curls 15 reps
    Reverse wrist curls X 15
    Palm up curls X 15
    Tricep extensions X 15 (I do skull crushers)

Repeat twice more, incrementing the weight up each series. Start very light in weight.

I also make sure I stretch forearms and upper arms intermittently throughout the day, and when doing lots of squeezing movements, I consciously take a couple seconds to occasionally flex (technically, extend) my fingers and wrist, splaying out my hands and working the opposing muscles and tendons.

Hammertime
    Important tennis elbow study. Not everything needs treatment. And in this case the best treatment is nothing. Be very cautious about either steroids injections or surgery for this problem because it is self limited. Yes it hurts. No it isn’t dangerous. Usually it resolves -without treatment- within a year. Voodoo floss is likely just voodoo like most recommended treatments.

“about 90% of people with untreated tennis elbow achieve symptom resolution at 1 year. The probability of resolution appears to remain constant throughout the first year of follow-up and does not depend on previous symptom duration, undermining the rationale that surgery is appropriate if symptoms persist beyond a certain point of time. We recommend that clinicians inform people who are frustrated with persisting symptoms that this is not a cause for apprehension, given that spontaneous improvement is about as likely during the subsequent few months as it was early after the symptoms first appeared. “

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34874323/

I started to use a pair of elbow sleeves during my lifting workouts as of a couple weeks ago. I have on again / off again bouts with both medial and lateral epicondylitis. I can go for long periods in between...or sometimes just a vague lingering nag.

The compression sleeve seems to be helping...and it's easier to wear during training than the BandIt. For $15.95 it was worth the investment.

https://www.amazon.com/Elbow-Brace-C..._dp&th=1&psc=1

I also do a lot of exercises to balance the flexors and extensors in the forearm.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

20 yrs ago I started getting tennis elbow. Every couple of years it would flare up and I'd get a cortizone shot. Had 4 or 5 of them over 10 yrs in both elbows. Had another flareup after we had moved so had to find a new doc. Got checked out x-ray etc, yep tennis elbow. OK doc give me a shot please. Uh, we don't do that much anymore. Here are some exercises for you. I left the office very doubtful. Got home, grabbed a small can of soup and started the exercises. Maybe 3 weeks later the pain was gone. I kept up w/ the exercises for another couple of weeks and then stopped. That was 5-6 yrs ago and I feel I am a very lucky guy. Every once in a while I will feel a bit of the old pain coming back. I grab a can, exercise for a week or two, and am good to go. The nice thing is that I can do the exercises sitting at my PC. If it's my right elbow, using the mouse left handed is pretty hilarious, so I switch to exercise while reading a book or watching TV.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    20 yrs ago I started getting tennis elbow. Every couple of years it would flare up and I'd get a cortizone shot. Had 4 or 5 of them over 10 yrs in both elbows. Had another flareup after we had moved so had to find a new doc. Got checked out x-ray etc, yep tennis elbow. OK doc give me a shot please. Uh, we don't do that much anymore. Here are some exercises for you. I left the office very doubtful. Got home, grabbed a small can of soup and started the exercises. Maybe 3 weeks later the pain was gone. I kept up w/ the exercises for another couple of weeks and then stopped. That was 5-6 yrs ago and I feel I am a very lucky guy. Every once in a while I will feel a bit of the old pain coming back. I grab a can, exercise for a week or two, and am good to go. The nice thing is that I can do the exercises sitting at my PC. If it's my right elbow, using the mouse left handed is pretty hilarious, so I switch to exercise while reading a book or watching TV.
    Any chance you can share those exercises, please?

Red face

Any chance you can share those exercises, please?
    Here ya go.
    Tenis elbow exercises by craig stuard, on Flickr
    I don't have a copier so this is a cell phone pic that I tried to edit some to make it better.
    Edit to ad; Jeez when it popped up on the screen I realized I can't spell tenis very well and now the whole world will know.

User Tag List