Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GP100 sights

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    shopruger.com lists one part number (looking at the Williams FO set) to fit GP100, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, and Super Blackhawk Hunter. I have never stumbled across any information that would suggest there was any other spec that could be mistaken for a GP100-compatible front sight that wasn't the right one.

The sticker on the box says FB00018 and the part looks just like this one https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005925014, which is listed for both the GP100 and Super Redhawk.

I may just go all Tom Givens on the existing Ruger sight, since I have the stuff sitting around already.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by xray 99 View Post
    I think options are limited if the revolver has the plunger front sight versus a Novak dovetail.
    Actually just the opposite. There are more options for the standard GP100 front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you can find a set, I'm a huge fan of the Millett Orange Bar (they were also available with a white bar) front sight and white outline adjustable rear sight.

Disappointingly, Millett ceased production of most of their excellent iron sights several years ago, so you'll have to search.
    Somewhat oddball question, perhaps. Or perhaps an awesome one.

There's a guy on fleabay selling what appears to be the Millett version of this sight:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005845866

This sight is compatible with pistols and revolvers supplied with factory original Elliason or Accro rear sights, such as the older Colt 1911 Gold Cup Series 70 & Series 80 guns, Pre-Series 70 Colt National Match, Colt Ace, Colt Python, Anaconda, King Cobra, Trooper, Diamondback, Officer's Model Match and Woodsman Target models. It will NOT fit Colt Delta models or newer recreations of the Colt Gold Cup 1911.
    It happens to look a lot like a Ruger sight and by the reviews is subject to the same cross pin walking issue. It wouldn't be completely inconceivable to me that Ruger would have matched the interface of popular Colt models so that there would be excellent aftermarket support as soon as his guns launched. Does anyone know for sure either way? Or am I going to have to test Midway's return policy?
    Not another dime.

I have the Dawsons on a couple of pistols, and I thought some of their hype seemed like hype, but they are pretty nice. The FO seems to be a nice size (a little smaller than some?) and it is recessed nicely, taming the bloom.

And I think they have 3-4 widths and I think I counted 10 height options.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-16-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Currently by the ocean in CA and on the move to a more free state. Three more years!

Bowen RC Sights

I have Bowen Rough Countries on a couple of my Rugers. I would consider them as durable as a fixed sight, but with the bonus of being able to adjust them. I have a set on my Ruger Alaskan that I sighted in a locked in place about five years ago. I use the gun quite a bit and the sights are still dead on and rock solid. I really like the look of the fixed sighted GP MC, but ended up with the adj MC and Bowens. My gun hits right where I want and the sights are not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Does anyone know for sure either way?
    Surprised no one knows. Also asked the question on RugerForum.net, and only got one reply pointing out Bowen's offerings.

Does anyone have an old Colt with an adjustable sight? If the distance between the pivot pin and the screw is as close as one can tell to the same, I figure it's worth buying one just in the name of science.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I've been having inconsistent accuracy with my GP100. Zero will wander, shots will be random...just weird. I think my next big purchase will be a Bowen rear sight.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I’ve passed up on a couple of gp-100’s lately that has the barrel (and its accompanying front sight) screwed on too far towards the left...

I can see it easily leveling the gun and lining up where the top of the barrel meets the top strap.

Sure I might be able to crank the rear all the way left to sight in, but damn that irks me.

This was present on my .454 toklat too.

I generally prefer these DA’s because I can polish the trigger/replace the springs and minimize the endshake myself.

*sighs* Somethingsomethingfitandfinish...

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I've been having inconsistent accuracy with my GP100. Zero will wander, shots will be random...just weird. I think my next big purchase will be a Bowen rear sight.
    https://www.grantcunningham.com/2008...00-inaccurate/
    Not another dime.

Both of my Gp100s have play in the rear sight and I have considered shimming them. I have also read on the Ruger forum that a new Ruger sight from Midway https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004346319?pid=643810 will address the issue. I may try a Bowen sight on my 5" and see if I can get the 3" tightened up with shims or a new OEM. I do wonder if a phone call to Ruger will get me anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Somewhat oddball question, perhaps. Or perhaps an awesome one.

There's a guy on fleabay selling what appears to be the Millett version of this sight:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005845866

It happens to look a lot like a Ruger sight and by the reviews is subject to the same cross pin walking issue. It wouldn't be completely inconceivable to me that Ruger would have matched the interface of popular Colt models so that there would be excellent aftermarket support as soon as his guns launched. Does anyone know for sure either way? Or am I going to have to test Midway's return policy?
    If you do this please let me know how it turns out.

User Tag List