Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GP100 sights

I think options are limited if the revolver has the plunger front sight versus a Novak dovetail.

If you can find a set, I'm a huge fan of the Millett Orange Bar (they were also available with a white bar) front sight and white outline adjustable rear sight.

Disappointingly, Millett ceased production of most of their excellent iron sights several years ago, so you'll have to search.

Although I've never personally used them, my next choice/recommendation would be for Bowen's Rough Country sights. As reviewed and endorsed by Grant Cunningham:
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/2008/...00-inaccurate/

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Does anyone have experience with the Meprolight sight set for Ruger revolvers?

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod70586.aspx

Looks like it should be reasonably rugged. Haven't seen them compared to the Bowen Rough Country option. Frankly, wasn't aware they existed until a few days ago.

There's also this Williams FO setup. I like their FO tubes a lot better than the Novak that comes from the factory on the GP MC, but their stuff is usually aluminum, so I don't know that it would have the durability of a Bowen or perhaps Meprolight.

https://williamsgunsight.com/product...ol-firesights/
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I've had the Williams, on a Redhawk, and was not impressed with the adjustments, nor with the sight picture of the rear fiber optic sight. The Williams front fiber optic worked just fine. No experience with the Meprolight but I'd be hard pressed to buy anything other than the Bowen sight, unless the Bowen was cost prohibitive. It's that good of a sight.

Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I've had the Williams, on a Redhawk, and was not impressed with the adjustments
    What issues did you have with the adjustments? I just put a set on a 4" GP and when I went to sight it in, Magtech 158g FMJ .38 Special was still 2-3" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I thought the problem was a loose nut behind the trigger but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the Williams FO rear that just replaces the blade is a better option?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Yes had a Millett black rear and custom Patridge front for years, but replaced them with the Williams FO a couple of years ago. The rear is too much in my opinion, but coloring the FO with a Sharpie tones it down a bit.

The front is quick to pick up and they work well. Just replacing the front with a narrow fiber optic is an easy and inexpensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What issues did you have with the adjustments? I just put a set on a 4" GP and when I went to sight it in, Magtech 158g FMJ .38 Special was still 2-3" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I thought the problem was a loose nut behind the trigger but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the Williams FO rear that just replaces the blade is a better option?
    Inconsistent click values and failure to hold zero; that, and the fiber optic tubes give a terrible rear sight picture to my eyes, particularly in bright sun when they tend to "bloom" and distort the rear sight notch, exactly the opposite of what I want a rear-sight blade to do.

Thanks. The rear FO doesn't bother my eyes (so far) but I may swap the original rear back onto it and see if my zero issues go away.
    Last edited by awp_101; 06-20-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    If you can find a set, I'm a huge fan of the Millett Orange Bar (they were also available with a white bar) front sight and white outline adjustable rear sight.
    Picked up a Millett Orange Bar front sight from fleabay. Tried installing it. Was able to push the pin, and get the sight to come 98% of the way out, but it wouldn't quite release. I did some googling and found a post on another forum where a guy had several guns that he could easily change the sight on in seconds and spent an hour screwing with one of them, until he finally just grabbed it with some big-arse pliers and destroyed it to get it out. He found that Ruger had installed a defective front sight that wouldn't disengage from the pin, or something along those lines.

This video is what I was expecting.

It didn't work that way. 98% of the way out and back in fully seated, over and over. But no freedom. Kept cycling it farther and farther, finally got it a little bit farther. Used a popsicle stick under each side to lever the sight out of the slot.

Turned out there was a big ol’ burr on one side of the slot along the top. Trimmed that out with an X-Acto knife, and it now works just like the video with the factory sight.

The Millett has proven to be a waste of time, however. The only thing good about it is the bright friggin’ orangeness of it. Had to file the base to get it to actually fit into the “dovetail.” When it finally did, the base was wider than the rib, overhanging each side, taller than the old sight base. The rear of the blade doesn’t rest on the rib behind the dovetail like the factory sight does, so it looks goofy, like one of the worst dovetails Ruger has cut for the Novak sights on MC guns. And worst of all, the blade is too narrow, so there is noticeable lateral play when it’s installed. It’s the equivalent of the rear sight moving several clicks randomly without resistance. Checked everything about the front sight, and while it will audibly click when force is applied laterally, I can’t see any movement.

TLDR: I learned yet another detail that Ruger QC can screw up, and accomplished nothing other than making the front sight mount serviceable. I guess that would have needed to be done eventually, but I wasn’t expecting to spend an hour swearing at it and end up right where I (should have) started.

Next up will be a factory Ruger molded plastic insert orange bar sight.

I think I'll be calling Mr. Bowen when I decide to upgrade rears.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 09-16-2019 at 11:08 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Wow,Olong. Sorry for the flawed experience. Above and beyond the burr in the barrel sight mount, I'm wondering if your Millett was actually the correct one for the GP100; I have Millett Orange Bar fronts on both my GP100 and Security Six, and both fit perfectly-nothing like you experienced. I'm wondering if the sight you obtained was for another gun entirely.

Best, Jon

User Tag List