Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 sights

GP100 sights

I'm considering the replacement of the factory sights for a Ruger GP100. Old eyes and all that. I've researched tritium, fiber optic types, sets vs. front sight only, and available ones from HiViz, Williams and a couple of others. What do y'all think?

Check out Dawson Precision, they are great sights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GP100 sights

Depends on what kind of shooting you want to.

For a true night sight, you’ll want tritium.

Most revolver front sights are 1/8” wide and don’t allow enough light for my eyes. As barrels get shorter, it gets worse. On barrels under 6”, I generally want a 1/10”-wide front blade.

For general purpose, I like a post with an FO insert or gold bead.

For precision shooting , I like a good ol black post or ramp with no colors to distract from sight alignment.

For faster DA work, your eyes will probably pick up a larger FO dot more quickly. I recently installed a 1/8”-wide HiViz on a 4” M-66 and seem to pick it up a bit faster than the 1/10” on my other 4” guns.

Here’s some others you may want to look at:

SDM
    Dawson Precision.
    XS
    Last edited by jtcarm; 08-14-2018 at 10:31 PM.

Which model of GP100 do you have, and what do you use it for? I have...a lot of time working on and shooting those guns.

I'm a fan of plain fixed rear sights and a high visibility front.

I have have no experience with them, but I've seen Bowen's rough country sights recommended a few places (eg http://www.grantcunningham.com/2008/...00-inaccurate/)

Thoughts on those from folks with more experience?

Novak Front night sight, narrow and 24 pickup.

My all purpose carry 357
    Last edited by Zeke38; 08-20-2018 at 12:28 PM.

I did Hiviz on my 6inch GP100. I did front and back but you only really need the front sight. I liked it because it's squared at the top and not rounded. Great sights.
    https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Viz-GPLW01.../dp/B00MRAPIGC

Site Supporter
    I have the green fiber optic on my 3 inch GP-100 and I really like it. Any light makes the sight stand out. If you are shooting in the day time or have a flashlight they are amazingly bright. I have found that even in low light at least for me they work well.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The green fiber optic "lens" on my GP100's front Novak overhung the square edges of the front sight, and was also not centered in the sight. This slowed me down, as my brain had to decide whether to center on the fiber optic lens or the square outline of the front sight, which were differently aligned sight pictures. I replaced the FO element with a brass pin and am happy.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeke38 View Post

Novak Front night sight, narrow and 24 pickup.

My all purpose carry 357
    Wild. My MC could be the twin for that. Novak tritium front, stock adjustable rear, Altamont grips replacing the wood grips.

It is not really a carry gun for me. The extractor gets too finicky and won't close at the first microscopic hint of crud. I've sighted it in for 158-grain SJHPs so it could do as a Texas "outdoors" carry.

User Tag List