Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GP100 sights

I have an email in to Kensight asking if the Colt sight will fit or can be made to fit the GPs. In the mean time I dug out my feeler gauges and I can get a .011 in my 5 inch and a .009 in my 3 inch. Searching the interwebs to its deepest depths, I can only find the Bowen sights for a direct replacement and the go to fix for the stock sights is a shim. I am sitting here contemplating using the feelers for shim stock. Its raining here so it may become my rainy day project.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    If you do this please let me know how it turns out.
    Looked carefully at the shape of the Kensight and the fact that it appears to still be spring loaded and decided I’d be happier in the end with a Bowen RC. Finally ordered one, which was the plan when I bought the MC several years ago. It’s why I chose the adjustable sight model.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I spent last Friday working on my 3". I ended up using a .004 shim on either side of the rear sight and there is no more side to side movement. The bad news is I shot it on Saturday and at 15 yards, I bottomed the rear out and I'm still 5 inches high, I had some great groups though. I did some research and found this one was shipped in 2017 and has a lower serial number than my 5 inch that I've had for a while. While perusing the internet for taller front sights I found many references to my particular models being shipped with front sights that were way short. This brings me to my list of questions, Its ok you didn't have to study.

Question number 1, do I call Ruger and complain and hope they can get it right?

#2 nothing else is wrong with the gun so to heck with Ruger and order a taller front sight?

#3 does anyone know if the calculator on Dawson's web sight is correct?
    Dawson's calculator recommends a.306 tall sight and anything within .005 will work. My options are a .300x.125 ramped or a .315x.100 partridge, both are serrated. Anything that glows blooms on me with my bad eyesight so no FO and paint if I need to make it more visible. I'm leaning toward the narrower one.

#4 Have I missed anybody that makes a taller sight in a Novak cut?
    Dawson is the only place that I found that makes taller than factory.

If this works out I may change out the 5 inch too. Its not bottomed out but its close.

Thanks, FES

#3 does anyone know if the calculator on Dawson's web sight is correct?
    Dawson's calculator recommends a.306 tall sight and anything within .005 will work. My options are a .300x.125 ramped or a .315x.100 partridge, both are serrated.
    I tend to want to rely on the info on the www and not interreact with people (I have to do that on my job...), but in the process of figuring out what the rear sight on the Ruger SR1911 Target is ("Kimber" pattern, got it on the third try...) I called a few times and seemed to always end up talking to Jay (IIRC) and he was very knowledgeable and helpful. They might know exactly what the score is based on how old you gun might be. Maybe not, but I experienced great customer service and was worth the call.

Anything that glows blooms on me with my bad eyesight so no FO and paint if I need to make it more visible. I'm leaning toward the narrower one.
    It is impossible to see what another guy sees through their eyes, but Dawson specifically sizes their FO rods a little smaller (0.040") and recesses them into the blade nicely. Not saying that it will make a difference, only suggesting that it might. Tried to take a pic:
    Name:  MMc MP Dawson FO.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  87.0 KB
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-28-2020 at 08:20 AM.

User Tag List