Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GP100 sights

I think options are limited if the revolver has the plunger front sight versus a Novak dovetail.

If you can find a set, I'm a huge fan of the Millett Orange Bar (they were also available with a white bar) front sight and white outline adjustable rear sight.

Disappointingly, Millett ceased production of most of their excellent iron sights several years ago, so you'll have to search.

Although I've never personally used them, my next choice/recommendation would be for Bowen's Rough Country sights. As reviewed and endorsed by Grant Cunningham:
    http://www.grantcunningham.com/2008/...00-inaccurate/

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 09-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.

Does anyone have experience with the Meprolight sight set for Ruger revolvers?

https://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...prod70586.aspx

Looks like it should be reasonably rugged. Haven't seen them compared to the Bowen Rough Country option. Frankly, wasn't aware they existed until a few days ago.

There's also this Williams FO setup. I like their FO tubes a lot better than the Novak that comes from the factory on the GP MC, but their stuff is usually aluminum, so I don't know that it would have the durability of a Bowen or perhaps Meprolight.

https://williamsgunsight.com/product...ol-firesights/
    -----------------------------------------
    ^^^ DAO dork ^^^

I've had the Williams, on a Redhawk, and was not impressed with the adjustments, nor with the sight picture of the rear fiber optic sight. The Williams front fiber optic worked just fine. No experience with the Meprolight but I'd be hard pressed to buy anything other than the Bowen sight, unless the Bowen was cost prohibitive. It's that good of a sight.

A panopoly of panopticons awp_101's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    I've had the Williams, on a Redhawk, and was not impressed with the adjustments
    What issues did you have with the adjustments? I just put a set on a 4" GP and when I went to sight it in, Magtech 158g FMJ .38 Special was still 2-3" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I thought the problem was a loose nut behind the trigger but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the Williams FO rear that just replaces the blade is a better option?
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

If it's the end of days I'm goin' out in style

Yes had a Millett black rear and custom Patridge front for years, but replaced them with the Williams FO a couple of years ago. The rear is too much in my opinion, but coloring the FO with a Sharpie tones it down a bit.

The front is quick to pick up and they work well. Just replacing the front with a narrow fiber optic is an easy and inexpensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    What issues did you have with the adjustments? I just put a set on a 4" GP and when I went to sight it in, Magtech 158g FMJ .38 Special was still 2-3" high at 25 yards with the rear sight bottomed out. I thought the problem was a loose nut behind the trigger but now I'm not so sure.

I wonder if the Williams FO rear that just replaces the blade is a better option?
    Inconsistent click values and failure to hold zero; that, and the fiber optic tubes give a terrible rear sight picture to my eyes, particularly in bright sun when they tend to "bloom" and distort the rear sight notch, exactly the opposite of what I want a rear-sight blade to do.

A panopoly of panopticons awp_101's Avatar
    Thanks. The rear FO doesn't bother my eyes (so far) but I may swap the original rear back onto it and see if my zero issues go away.
    Last edited by awp_101; 06-20-2019 at 07:06 AM.
    Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain

If it's the end of days I'm goin' out in style

User Tag List