Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Research on handgun/holster combination and speed of 1st round

Site Supporter
    Did anyone use the Safariland Raptor series? If so, how did you like them ?

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    Did anyone use the Safariland Raptor series? If so, how did you like them ?
    We used them for several years when we converted from Berettas to Sig's. We first tried to use an identical holster, the Safarland 070, but about 20% of them wouldn't ever break in. This was with 226R's.....holster didn't really accommodate the rail. We then went to the Raptor. Easy transition, since the draw stroke was nearly identical. Not ideal, though....and then a Sergeant almost lost his gun in a violent struggle out of a holster with a broken SLS hood spring....went to the ALS/SLS combo with the hood guard afterward. Not a huge fan of the hood guard, but love the ALS system.

Anyway...the Raptor was okay, especially as a transition from the 070. No good in the long run, in my opinion, because there is no WML capability.

I had issues with the raptor that were not issues with the 070. With small hands and short fingers, popping open snaps was fine, but holding the middle release against spring tension affected my master grip. The SLS/ALS combo is far superior, IMO.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 09-08-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I had issues with the raptor that were not issues with the 070. With small hands and short fingers, popping open snaps was fine, but holding the middle release against spring tension affected my master grip. The SLS/ALS combo is far superior, IMO.
    I thought some raptors only had to be rocked back to get the gun out.

Would you say the 070 is the most secure holster? I'm an ALS guy all the way but I have a pal who is still 070 all the way.

Would you say the 070 is the most secure holster? I'm an ALS guy all the way but I have a pal who is still 070 all the way.
    The level 3/4 Raptors have to be rocked back too, but to get to that point, you have to push the middle finger, “GLS-esque,” button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The level 3/4 Raptors have to be rocked back too, but to get to that point, you have to push the middle finger, “GLS-esque,” button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Our Raptors had the SLS hood and were rock-back only.

I used an 070 with a Beretta for years. It was a good holster, if you trained with it. I won the class shoot off in my Gunsite 250 class using a 92G from an 070 holster. That said, the ALS is the best duty holster yet devised, in my opinion. With the SLS hood, as secure as an 070, and faster. My opinion, YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Interesting. Although the difference between the two may be “statistically significant” for research purposes, I question whether they are significant in the real world.

I would also be curious about the difference between these two holsters (neither of which I personally consider acceptable for uniformed LE use due to different drawbacks) and a Level III (Level IV? I find the retention screw as a “level” to be a BS argument, personally...) holster such as the Safariland 6360/7360, discontinued Safariland Raptor, Uncle Mike’s Pro 3, or Safariland 070. I am disregarding the SERPA holsters because...SERPA.

Personally I think that the trade off of a slightly slower draw in exchange for drastically increased security is a small price to pay, and the automatic locking feature of the 7360, Pro 3, and Raptor holsters immediately upon “speed reholster” is a necessity in LE work—you’re going to roll around a lot more than you’re going to draw against the drop, and if you need to go from guns to hands in a hurry, you need a system that gives some level of retention immediately upon reholster.

All in all, just like “shootability” may not be the primary consideration in a carry gun, my personal opinion is that a quick draw is not the primary metric upon which a duty holster should be judged.

I believe that there is more to the holsters in this experiment than just speed. I think the speed is just the easy metric to test. I trained on the SLS and switched to an ALS as an instructor. I had the chance not only to shoot both for years, but I got to see data points from a 1,000+ officers shoot each for years. Not just shooting the AZPOST qual but AOT up to and including FoF.

One of the takeaways I have is the ALS is faster because it's easier to remove the retention. That will be true no matter the other retention features one uses. So it's not just speed. It's the amount of fumbled, failed and screwed up draws that occur across the bell curve of officer's ability. With the ALS the numbers of fumbled draws went down drastically with those officers that just, show up to qual and never/rarely train. On the rare occasion that the ALS jammed, almost universally because the officer pulled up on the pistol before bringing the thumb switch back enough, it was quite easy to remedy. That was not true for the SLS. What we found was that officers that had a panic response after a fumbled ALS draw also went drastically down.

I will take the speed increase because I don't get to choose how much time I have. The bad guy, fate, etc does. But the 2nd and 3rd order effects of that speed that I talk about above are just as important to a successful gunfight, IMO of course. As far as retention being more important? Maybe. It's certainly a balance. Luckily most major holster makers will give a complete menu of retention in various configurations. So we can pick our level and our combination of holsters that are quicker while being harder to steal.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Level II raptors did not have the middle finger release. Level III did.

The 070 is secure, but the two snaps have to be manually engaged to re-secure.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Our Raptors had the SLS hood and were rock-back only.

I used an 070 with a Beretta for years. It was a good holster, if you trained with it. I won the class shoot off in my Gunsite 250 class using a 92G from an 070 holster. That said, the ALS is the best duty holster yet devised, in my opinion. With the SLS hood, as secure as an 070, and faster. My opinion, YMMV.
    I concur.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List