Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research on handgun/holster combination and speed of 1st round

Research on handgun/holster combination and speed of 1st round

This study - Holster and Handgun: Does Equipment Effect Response Time? - can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile...ponse-Time.pdf

I'm familiar with one of the researchers. If you are responsible for selecting, approving equipment or selecting, approving firearms it is a worthwhile read.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    This study - Holster and Handgun: Does Equipment Effect Response Time? - can be found here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile...ponse-Time.pdf

I'm familiar with one of the researchers. If you are responsible for selecting, approving equipment or selecting, approving firearms it is a worthwhile read.
    I’d like to see their future research on thigh holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’d like to see their future research on thigh holsters.
    Just switched back from a single leg drop to the UBL for draw speed. It’s not significant, but it’s a difference for sure, especially with dynamic movement and vehicles involved.

Interesting. Although the difference between the two may be “statistically significant” for research purposes, I question whether they are significant in the real world.

I would also be curious about the difference between these two holsters (neither of which I personally consider acceptable for uniformed LE use due to different drawbacks) and a Level III (Level IV? I find the retention screw as a “level” to be a BS argument, personally...) holster such as the Safariland 6360/7360, discontinued Safariland Raptor, Uncle Mike’s Pro 3, or Safariland 070. I am disregarding the SERPA holsters because...SERPA.

Personally I think that the trade off of a slightly slower draw in exchange for drastically increased security is a small price to pay, and the automatic locking feature of the 7360, Pro 3, and Raptor holsters immediately upon “speed reholster” is a necessity in LE work—you’re going to roll around a lot more than you’re going to draw against the drop, and if you need to go from guns to hands in a hurry, you need a system that gives some level of retention immediately upon reholster.

All in all, just like “shootability” may not be the primary consideration in a carry gun, my personal opinion is that a quick draw is not the primary metric upon which a duty holster should be judged.

Draw speed can be critical, and I’m aware of several people at my old agency (including me) who are alive because they were able to draw quickly and get hits before the other guy. Like most things, it’s environment and situation dependent. Are you working alone with backup 30 minutes away or are there 4 people on every call?

One thing that often gets lost in the debate over speed vs security is that many people wearing security holsters just don’t practice enough to be proficient enough to draw quickly under stress or movement. It doesn’t take much realistic scenario training to see this.

What a firearms instructor can demonstrate and what the average patrol person can do under stress isn’t always the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    One thing that often gets lost in the debate over speed vs security is that many people wearing security holsters just don’t practice enough to be proficient enough to draw quickly under stress or movement. It doesn’t take much realistic scenario training to see this.
    Five presentations before each shift while gearing up. My FTO told me this day 1 and I still do it. Puts a patrolman far ahead of his peers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    Interesting. Although the difference between the two may be “statistically significant” for research purposes, I question whether they are significant in the real world.

I would also be curious about the difference between these two holsters (neither of which I personally consider acceptable for uniformed LE use due to different drawbacks) and a Level III (Level IV? I find the retention screw as a “level” to be a BS argument, personally...) holster such as the Safariland 6360/7360, discontinued Safariland Raptor, Uncle Mike’s Pro 3, or Safariland 070. I am disregarding the SERPA holsters because...SERPA.

Personally I think that the trade off of a slightly slower draw in exchange for drastically increased security is a small price to pay, and the automatic locking feature of the 7360, Pro 3, and Raptor holsters immediately upon “speed reholster” is a necessity in LE work—you’re going to roll around a lot more than you’re going to draw against the drop, and if you need to go from guns to hands in a hurry, you need a system that gives some level of retention immediately upon reholster.

All in all, just like “shootability” may not be the primary consideration in a carry gun, my personal opinion is that a quick draw is not the primary metric upon which a duty holster should be judged.
    That's an excellent post. I agree 100%.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Draw speed can be critical, and I’m aware of several people at my old agency (including me) who are alive because they were able to draw quickly and get hits before the other guy. Like most things, it’s environment and situation dependent. Are you working alone with backup 30 minutes away or are there 4 people on every call?

What a firearms instructor can demonstrate and what the average patrol person can do under stress isn’t always the same.
    I practiced a lot with the 070 when I carried it, and always felt that I could be smoother/faster/etc. But there were a handful of times on the street where my gun just "magically" appeared in my hand.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Research on handgun/holster combination and speed of 1st round

One of the, “hacks,” I’ve used with security holsters of various types, and especially the felt lined Safariland types, work best for me (with long arms) if I suck my elbow in close to my body, and twist the grip towards me.

That helps get the gun out quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sherman A. House DDS; 09-06-2018 at 09:44 AM.

I’m quicker with my current 6360 for my G17/TLR1 than I was with my 6280 M&P no light combo I used on an old part time job. That suede always hung me up if the draw wasn’t perfect and I have enough practice with the 6360 that I defeat the SLS and ALS in one smooth movement and out it comes. So for me personally I think the Level 3 has only upside.

User Tag List