Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardening the Home

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post

@TCinVA at the end of the episode you mentioned that the best thing's to adapt a currently owned hunting shotgun into a good HD shotgun were a shorter stock, a buckshot that patterns well, and training. In general, what else would you recommend? For example what does your HD shotgun look like?

Also, any other tips you have for hardening the home would be welcome. It was a really good interview.

-Cory
    Tom beat me to the punch on that one...but yeah, that's what my go-to HD shotgun looks like. My alternate is an 870 Wingmaster with rifle style sights, a Magpul stock, and a Surefire forend on it.

As for home hardening, you are on the perfect forum to bring that up and get some rational, reasonable responses from a number of people with experience with various products.

Good measures to start would be:

- Deadbolts in your doors and longer screws affixing the deadbolts and the strike plates
    - Hurricane film on windows
    - Good alarm system
    - Good camera system with at least one camera clearly visible as a warning to shitheads
    - Good dog trained to help keep watch and protect against intruders

It would be a great topic in and of its own right where people with experience with various aspects could give sage guidance on purchase decisions, installation, etc.
    3/15/2016

I’ll try to get to a computer and get something more comprehensive and intelligent down soon. There are a lot of “feel good” measures that people take, but don’t do anything real to increase protection. Professionals are rarely even slowed down by commercial/over-the-counted/Home Depot measures, and even a retarded amateur can defeat many measures by applying enough brute force.

MTF.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

So far I've liked 100% of the posts in this thread, so I guess I'd better subscribe.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    I have to harden my new home so I am watching this with interest. I still think one of the best tools is a hard dog. I really miss my bull terrier. My old house was one of the few that were not burglarized and I credit the dog. I know it’s not hard to defeat a dog but I really appreciate an extra set of ears. Especially since I’m deaf now.

From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Also, I found this product that is similar to hotel door latches, but with an extra auxiliary lock on it.
    It was easy to install on the main point of access, and is simple enough to be consistently used.
    There's no known bypass methods when the auxiliary lock is engaged.

Name:  715A5Fs6OAL._SL1500_350.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  16.7 KB

Defender Security U 11316 Swing Bar Door Guard With High Security Auxiliary Lock
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XJS8S4/

It's not one major thing or another, it's mindset and the sum of a bunch of little things;

It's not only locks on the doors, but actually using them all the time - even when you're home.

It's those more expensive heavy storm doors that always have glass in them, and are kept locked too. More time, sound and exposure needed to get through two doors instead of just one.

It's making the lesser-used, more vulnerable doors even harder to get through with something like this. More time, more noise....

It's "pinning" double-hung windows so the glass must be smashed out to open them.

It's sufficient outdoor lighting that comes on automatically.

It's maintaining some level of ambient lighting at night inside your house.

It's pulling shades or closing blinds at night so it's not so easy to see inside.

It's keeping shrubs trimmed and minimizing concealment near windows and doors.

It's keeping the garage door closed and locked.

It's dogs, and not necessarily land sharks. Our mutts serve as early detection, not active protection.

It's a comprehensive alarm system that is used when away, every night when sleeping and perhaps even when just hangin' at home (with motion sensors turned off).

It's using timers on lights and appliances when not home.

It's talking with neighbors and calling them if something doesn't seem right at their house (let them know you're watching, good chance they will reciprocate).

It's letting them know when you're out of town for a few days and the house will be empty...and having them fetch the mail for you.

It's keeping the lawn cut, belongings stored, etc. - making it look like people live there.

It's about having a plan (discussed with family members and agreed upon) in the event that a breach occurs and active protection is required.

It's being armed all the time (even when home).

Each of the above may not be sufficient by itself, but in their totality represent something that IMO is greater than the sum of its parts.

At least this is how we do it in our home.

I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

User Tag List