Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Reducing weight of duty gear and back injurues

Matt Wenning, champion powerlifter, has been able to reduce worker's comp claims in fire departments by getting them stronger.

https://1812columbus.com/from-wheelc...wers-for-good/

Around the same time, Wenning relocated to Columbus to train at the world-renowned, invite-only powerlifting gym, Westside Barbell. Before long, Wenning’s work with the military gained notoriety amongst the local fire departments. The first department to approach Wenning was Washington Township in Dublin. Over the past ten years, he has been collecting both the strength and insurance data for the department. Notably, as the firefighters’ strength numbers have gone up, Washington Township’s insurance expenses have gone down. When Wenning began to coach and program workouts for their 135 firefighters, the average deadlift was under 200 pounds. Today, the average deadlift has doubled to just under 400 pounds, and the department is spending $250,000 less on insurance costs.

Site Supporter
    I agree that strength training is important, so is reducing the load. One thing that REALLY helped was this:

http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-CM-Belt-p/eu116.htm

Since black buckles are no longer available, some rattlecan therapy is likely in order.

I have had Bianchi, Eagle, and Tactical Taylor gear (Logan and I had lunch a couple of times in his hometown where I was a new cop.), This Emdom belt, despite the color of the buckles, is the lightest duty belt, I have had, bar none, and with my Wilderness Ring belt with the correct velcro sewn to it by the Wilderness. For the last decade or so this belt combination has resulted in a feeling that my duty gear has been welded to my hips. Maybe if we created enough of a storm we could convince the manufacturer of the buckles to offer black again...

I kid you not, this is the lightest by far belt I have had. I am on my third in 16 years, not because of problems of the belt; rather my expanding waistline...

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 08-17-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Great info and suggestions so far. Please keep them coming!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I carried a P229 for the better part of 20 years. My back and hip pain started getting so bad a couple of years ago there were days I went to work carrying just a J frame or LCR. Switching to a polymer framed gun (VP9) made it possible for me to pack a real gun every day again.

I hate ASP handcuffs and lightweight batons of any type. I carried ASP handcuffs for maybe two shifts when I worked patrol. One good scuffle where the ratchet got twisted outside the cheek plate ruined me on those handcuffs. It can happen with any brand, but it takes lots more force with an all metal handcuff. Lightweight batons simply lack enough mass to be effective.

Getting gear to the front of your belt and/or on a vest helps tremendously.

Stretching, exercise and taking care of yourself helps more...........just my .02 cents worth!

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    It's well document that crunches can lead to herniated discs and lower back pain.

[...]

While there are lots of ways to injure a back, the sit-up is an easily preventable one. According to his research, a crunch or traditional sit-up generates at least 3,350 newtons (the equivalent of 340 kg) of compressive force on the spine. The U.S. National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health states that anything above 3,300 newtons is unsafe.

So McGill suggests replacing sit-ups with exercises to strengthen the core while not bending the spine: bridges, planks, leg extensions, bird dogs, and “stir the pot.” [...] So last year, after talking to Stuart McGill and other experts, the IAFF dropped the sit-up in favour of the prone plank—basically a static push-up that will leave the unfit trembling with fatigue.
    BigD, I think your post contains important truth. It depends on fine points, if the exercises are beneficial.

I try to describe the fine points of the exercise which I've called crunches in my previous post:
    • At the beginning of the exercise, press the lumbar spine on the ground. This corresponds with tensioning the abs and brings the pelvis in a better position.
    • Lift the upper body only so high that the shoulder blades don't touch the ground. Not higher.
    • Support your head with your hands, don't pull it. The head should be at an angle of about 45° to the ground.
    • Hold the position for about 10 seconds, then lay down the upper body. Relax a few seconds.
    • Repeat 10 times.

The exercise was taught to me by physiotherapists. I strongly recommend for people with pain in the knees or the back to go to a physiotherapist in order to learn the exercises correctly.

By "crunches", I do not mean "sit-ups". In the article about Prof. McGill which you've linked, they are identified. But they are not the same. I don't like sit-ups but I like the type of crunches which I've just described.

Planks: Yes, I fully agree. They are very good. If one does not like crunches, they are a good alternative. I think their effect is similar, they strengthen the abs. I do both exercises.

PS:
    I've found this video. First, she demonstrates crunches and then sit-ups. Her kind of crunches are similar to "mine" but not identical (e.g. she does not hold the position for 10 s).
    youtube.com/watch?v=rSYVSmlmT-c
    And, interestlingly, she shows planks, too.
    Last edited by P30; 08-18-2018 at 02:32 AM.

When I was in motors we had some old heads that were all about weight reduction. Their duty belt consisted of a gun, mag pouch and a radio. Cuffs? Hell no, that means you have to arrest people.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I’m not going to say that absence of proof is proof of anything, but where all these spinal injuries from crunches and sit-ups actually occurring? McGill might know his trade, but he preys on fear about injuries and spreads paranoia. There are risk associated with lifting weights with spinal flexion, if you’re moving heavy stuff in the real world it’s going to be with a rounded back. You can train that in the gym with a healthy dose of common sense in a controlled environment, or you can roll the dice on the streets.

Crunches, Jefferson curls, straight leg deadlifts, upper good mornings, and sandbag lifts might be on the naughty list for spinal flexion, but they might save you a lot of pain and suffering too.
    Last edited by txdpd; 08-18-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    fear about injuries
    My physiotherapist says, most joint problems come from too little movement.
    Last edited by P30; 08-19-2018 at 04:25 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    I agree that strength training is important, so is reducing the load. One thing that REALLY helped was this:

http://www.emdomusa.com/Emdom-MM-CM-Belt-p/eu116.htm

Since black buckles are no longer available, some rattlecan therapy is likely in order.

I have had Bianchi, Eagle, and Tactical Taylor gear (Logan and I had lunch a couple of times in his hometown where I was a new cop.), This Emdom belt, despite the color of the buckles, is the lightest duty belt, I have had, bar none, and with my Wilderness Ring belt with the correct velcro sewn to it by the Wilderness. For the last decade or so this belt combination has resulted in a feeling that my duty gear has been welded to my hips. Maybe if we created enough of a storm we could convince the manufacturer of the buckles to offer black again...

I kid you not, this is the lightest by far belt I have had. I am on my third in 16 years, not because of problems of the belt; rather my expanding waistline...

pat

Actually, duh, you can pick up another belt buckle (got a $12 Bianchi one sirring here from Kaufman's). No need for spray paint. You can also thread the appropriate of the wrong color onto a piece of webbing and have a buckle hanging from the vents of the locker door, allowing the belt to hang from the door, freeing up space in the locker.

pat

User Tag List