Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reducing weight of duty gear and back injurues

Reducing weight of duty gear and back injurues

We're attempting to lighten our duty belts and gear. Chief is working with Workers Comp to improve our ergos and working conditions to reduce overall injuries. We're doing evaluations next week to choose a polymer frame 9mm to replace our current P series Sigs, switching to light weight ASPs & cuffs, and considering outer vest carriers without gear mounted on it. Putting Tasers, radios, etc on the outer vest isn't compatible with our rifle rated vests.
    Anyone have other suggestions, especially with durable but lightweight duty belts? Need a nylon look. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    We're attempting to lighten our duty belts and gear. Chief is working with Workers Comp to improve our ergos and working conditions to reduce overall injuries. We're doing evaluations next week to choose a polymer frame 9mm to replace our current P series Sigs, switching to light weight ASPs & cuffs, and considering outer vest carriers without gear mounted on it. Putting Tasers, radios, etc on the outer vest isn't compatible with our rifle rated vests.
    Anyone have other suggestions, especially with durable but lightweight duty belts? Need a nylon look. Thanks

I was never patrol, but suspenders save my back when I have to carry metal frame pistol, two mags, cuffs, ASP and radio in plainclothes. I think you are on the right track by trying to get as much weight on the shoulders as possible.

I'll add something else. Having had to learn to deal with herniated discs in both the neck and lower back, I've become a big fan of the McKenzie Method, which says posture (seated, sleeping, and standing) has a lot to do with it most back and neck issues. Most cop cars don't have very ergonomic seats. Lumbar rolls or inserts would help. Once you get used to them, you don't want to drive a long time without them.
    Last edited by BigD; 08-13-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Quite a few of our guys wear suspenders. I’d explore that option.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

Site Supporter
    I wear Bianchi Accumold gear, it cuts down on the weight. You can get the leather look or nylon look.

I dumped the ASP a long time ago. Not just for weight, but for space on my small waist. We can carry OC but we do not have tasers.

One thing I've found is that losing weight has actually made my belt feel lighter. Obviously it's not lighter but I guess it just fits better and carries better.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    I was never patrol, but suspenders save my back when I have to carry metal frame pistol, two mags, cuffs, ASP and radio in plainclothes. I think you are on the right track by trying to get as much weight on the shoulders as possible.

I'll add something else. Having had to learn to deal with herniated discs in both the neck and lower back, I've become a big fan of the McKenzie Method, which says posture (seated, sleeping, and standing) has a lot to do with it most back and neck issues. Most cop cars don't have very ergonomic seats. Lumbar rolls or inserts would help. Once you get used to them, you don't want to drive a long time without them.
    Thanks! I'll look up the McKinzie.

Polymer framed guns - that work - and alloy cuffs won't hurt. While I carried expandable batons, including a lt wt one, I'd not willingly go back to doing so. If you need an impact weapon, you need the heft that goes with a real one. We had a fight that damn turned out disastorous for an out numbered cop because of an alloy ASP.

Suspenders might well be a good idea. Based on issues that stemmed from 18 months in an Interceptor vest, I'm not a fan of external armor carriers and hanging crap on my shoulders.

The Bianchi AccuMold gear is viable. My belt is a mix of their gear, BladeTech, Eleven10s, and Surefire.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Polymer framed guns - that work - and alloy cuffs won't hurt. While I carried expandable batons, including a lt wt one, I'd not willingly go back to doing so. If you need an impact weapon, you need the heft that goes with a real one. We had a fight that damn turned out disastorous for an out numbered cop because of an alloy ASP.

Suspenders might well be a good idea. Based on issues that stemmed from 18 months in an Interceptor vest, I'm not a fan of external armor carriers and hanging crap on my shoulders.

The Bianchi AccuMold gear is viable. My belt is a mix of their gear, BladeTech, Eleven10s, and Surefire.
    What did you not like about the vest?

Changing to a polymer frame pistol may save a couple ounces, but I doubt it will have that much of an impact.

ASP's, whether steel or aluminum, do almost more harm than good and in my opinion (and many others) are a liability. A straight stick or if you must a Peacekeeper work well.

I've gone down the aluminum handcuff route. They work great for a detective in plainclothes or some other assignment where you rarely handcuff people. For patrol? Forget them as your primary. I now carry a regular set of steel Peerless backed up by my aluminum Peerless set in a double cuff case in the 1 o'clock position.

My 2 cents is lightening the actual equipment doesn't work. Get the crap off your belt you rarely (or don't) use and put it in more ergonomic locations. Get rid of the expandable baton (useless) and use a ring with a straight stick. Get everything off your belt between 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock.

You would be amazed when you look critically at your duty gear how much of it you don't need.
    Last edited by KevH; 08-13-2018 at 11:03 PM.

The external armor carriers with load bearing ability help loads with lower back pain. They are also a lot cooler than concealed armor.

Site Supporter
    We went to expandable batons because they were "convenient" and because a standard baton or a PR-24 was so clumsy and difficult to ring when you dismounted the cruiser. Effectiveness never entered into the discussion. Today, the expandable baton is pretty much a check-the-box liability protection unless,God forbid, you might actually need a baton to, well, like...hit a dangerous offender.

I've considered alloy cuffs as I carry handcuffs off duty and two pair on duty.I think more agencies and officers would carry them if they worked as well as standard cuffs. I understand that an allied agency with many people on foot and bicycle patrol issued them, but many people purchased their own standard cuffs.

User Tag List