Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reducing weight of duty gear and back injurues

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post

By "crunches", I do not mean "sit-ups". In the article about Prof. McGill which you've linked, they are identified. But they are not the same. I don't like sit-ups but I like the type of crunches which I've just described.

Planks: Yes, I fully agree. They are very good. If one does not like crunches, they are a good alternative. I think their effect is similar, they strengthen the abs. I do both exercises.
    I don't think you read the article. If you had, you'd have seen that McGill (who not a random PT but is the foremost subject matter expert on lower back disorders) is against crunches. It's literally in the title and the first paragraph.

"https://www.macleans.ca/society/health/the-man-who-wants-to-kill-crunches/"

Anything that puts the spine in flexion over and over (or in flexion under load) can lead to back problems.

Instead, McGill advocates the eponymous McGill curl up. You place your hands under the small of your back (to keep the lordosis) and do sort of a plank.

Here he is showing it to Brian Caroll. Caroll was a powerlifter who had herniated discs at both L4-L5 and L5-S1, broken sacrum, multiple endplate fractures and stenosis. He didn't think he'd be pain free again, much less compete. After working with McGill, he went on to deadlift 800lbs and squat 1100lbs without surgery. He's pain free.

Last edited by BigD; 08-25-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Going to a new department soon and I have the option of what pistol I can carry (self-provided). This department has done away with batons and only carry pepper spray and tasers.

I keep going back to the lighter setup with the idea of less damage to my back.

The two I have it narrowed down to are the Sig P320 Carry in 9mm and a full size 1911 in 45acp. (both railed with lights).

Of course the Sig in 9mm weighs less and capacity is an issue, but time will tell.

Good thread.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I don't know if you guys are using "Asp" as a generic for expanding baton or talking about the actual brand. We use Monadnock and I've yet to see one bend or break. I've used my frequently with good results.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

This isn't just duty related, but you shouldn't be carrying your wallet in your hip pocket.

User Tag List