Thread: MY MR556 SPR project

MY MR556 SPR project

I'm home finally. I've just been able to get my project rifle close to its end state. My goal here is to get an effective medium range engagement SPR/RECCE rifle setup I can rely on to launch 77gr TMK's out to respectable distances with effect on target. I've got 800 rounds down the pipe so far with with the Vortex PST 1-4 that was once on it, which has since moved to another rifle.

So far I've installed:
    Geissele HK 14.5" FDE/Bronze/whatever they want to call it rail.
    Magpul Bad lever
    Blueforce gear sling/magpul swivel QD mounts
    Trijicon Accupower (insert Machoman randy savage yelling "MEGA POWERS YEAAAH!") 1-8x28 Red MIL VPO
    Geissele standard 0 MOA mount

What's going in:
    - Surefire M600 scout light with DS-SR07 switch
    - Geissele MR556 trigger (ouch)
    - Maaaaaybe send the barrel off to be nitrided. I'm strongly considering it.

I'm going to get some time to get the optic zeroed next week and will provide updates/pictures as it unfolds. But here's some pictures in the mean time.

Name:  MR556 Trij 1.jpg
Views: 3004
Size:  40.9 KB Name:  MR556 Trij 3.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  37.2 KB

Site Supporter
    That is a damn fine setup!

Might I ask what 77gr loads have worked best for you, and what sort of accuracy are you seeing from them at 300-600M?

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    That is a damn fine setup!

Might I ask what 77gr loads have worked best for you, and what sort of accuracy are you seeing from them at 300-600M?
    Currently, I run the 77gr Black Hills TMK's exclusively, but I've also fired 20 rounds 77gr IMI razorcore with pleasant results. That was with the Vortex 1-4 and I was able to squeeze 1MOA @ 100 on a windy day with the TMK's, and about the same with the razorcores, I'm hoping the Trij and TMK combination gets me in there tighter. I also thing the Geissele trigger will help a little. The stock trigger isn't terrible by any means just a touch heavy. I think it's in the 6lb range, but smooth. My wife's KAC SR15 is noticeably lighter so I'd say it's about 1-1.5lbs heavier than hers.

But I'm going to do a range day with the stock trigger, 77gr TMK's and see what I can do on 6x and 8x. I'm also going to push it out to 200 yards for a group. I'll let you know what I can do with that. As for 3-600m I'm going to have to find a range for that. My current range is only 200 yards. But I'd love to get to a 700-1000 yard range not just for this but my MR762. But I'll make sure to document everything well and go from there, also if you know of a long distance range in FL let me know. I'll take the drive I've got 2 weeks of leave coming up here soon. I'd love to do some accuracy testing while my wife is at work. (she hates the slow fire stuff, she likes kick doors and high speed stuff....which I do too, but she's got no patience for precision long range days).

Also I think I'll throw in some "Sustained fire" for a group. Let me know what you guys want to see. I can try to do 5 rounds slow fire for a group, and 1 shot a second 5 shot groups. Then just see how fast I can shoot 5 rounds and still get hits. I don't have a chronograph or a shot timer, but just let me know what you guys want to see and I'll do my very best to grab that info.
    Last edited by navyman8903; 08-15-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    Currently, I run the 77gr Black Hills TMK's exclusively, but I've also fired 20 rounds 77gr IMI razorcore with pleasant results. That was with the Vortex 1-4 and I was able to squeeze 1MOA @ 100 on a windy day with the TMK's, and about the same with the razorcores, I'm hoping the Trij and TMK combination gets me in there tighter. I also thing the Geissele trigger will help a little. The stock trigger isn't terrible by any means just a touch heavy. I think it's in the 6lb range, but smooth. My wife's KAC SR15 is noticeably lighter so I'd say it's about 1-1.5lbs heavier than hers...
    Mostly I'm just intrigued by the combination of precision accuracy and duty-rifle reliability that the HK's offer. Convincing myself to sell off a brace of other configurations for just one HK is difficult, but the results so many people are enjoying with these HK's keeps pushing me toward that end.

So any and all experience & data you care to share on the 556 or MR762 is welcome!

Mostly I'm just intrigued by the combination of precision accuracy and duty-rifle reliability that the HK's offer. Convincing myself to sell off a brace of other configurations for just one HK is difficult, but the results so many people are enjoying with these HK's keeps pushing me toward that end.

So any and all experience & data you care to share on the 556 or MR762 is welcome!
    Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. I'm going to start a different thread for the MR762, I'm waiting for a few more things to get to the house and a Geissele super precision extended 20 MOA mount to get back in stock so I can run it with the Steiner T5Xi I got for it.

I'm using the MR556 as a MK12 replacement because I feel that's the place it fills in my inventory. I will run it quickly, and I'm planning on using this setup in "Tactical" 2 gun matches as well to test it out in different shooting conditions. (I say tactical because they allow lights and attachments, so you can run your Home defense rifle/duty rifle.)

Shooting update 1

So I was able to get to the range, zero the optic and run 120 rounds through it. I zeroed it at 50/200 yards since that seems to be my perfect zero for most of what I do. Man, I am impressed. This is a very solid and high quality optic. I was worried at first because of how snuffed the optic was around everywhere it seemed, though well reviewed that it would not be as good as I was hoping. Well it was better. I am very happy and very impressed with it. I was also able to compare it to the NX8 which I was looking at, the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6 and the ATACR 1-8. The shooting day went very well, zero issues and once I was zeroed I was off to the races. I was very happy and impressed with how precise the MIL setup was. I really liked the MIL setup and will we going with it from now on. I could have zeroed much faster than I did if I had taken my time (I had an hour at the range to shoot this and my new P30L V1 9mm). I had to adjust a total of 1.9 MILs in elevation and about .5 MILS left. Very accurate, and I'm very happy with the VPO overall. I will also say, the Geissele Super Precision mount is awesome and will be my standard mount for all of my scopes. I'll be picking one up for my MR762 to hold the Steiner T5Xi 3-15x50. But more on that later.

What I liked:
    - Glass clarity was superb. I honestly believe it's on par with the vortex razor, I liked it better than the NX8 and it's below the ATACR for sure, but I don't know if the ATACR is $1300 better, but that's subjective.
    - I really like the 1-8 mag range, it's very good for what I am looking to do with this rifle platform, it would also be good on a battle rifle I think. 1-8 seems to be a very nice happy spot.
    - Field of view was excellent through the entire mag range and it is very nice at 8x. I really like the 28mm exit pupil.
    - I really love the turret design/feel. They're easy to use, and I like the push down to lock feature for two reasons. 1. You know it's down. 2. It minimizes the signature of the turrets, which is a plus.
    - The reticle is very useable. I love it just as much at 1x as I do all the way through the mag range up to 8x. I was worried when playing around with it that it would only be really good on 6x and situationally good at 8x. But in truth it's excellent and very useable through the whole magnification range. It's great at 200 yards at 8x, it doesn't obscure the target at all, though I want to see what it does at 500 and further.
    - Magnification ring is exactly where I like it as far as adjustment feel. Not too stiff, and not too loose where it feels cheap or you're not moving anything. Very precise and well weighted feel. I like it a lot and a throw lever for me, isn't necessary.
    - The eyebox is pretty good and I like that it doesn't change as you dial the magnification up.
    - The whole setup "Feels right" I can't tell you how many times I've had something everyone said was "The desirable setup" or "way to go" and it just wasn't for me. Even though this rifle/optic combo isn't light, it definitely feels awesome together and getting hits feels easier with them so long as I do my part.
    - FFP is a requirement for me at at the price point I'm very happy with this. I don't like doing guess work at all, let alone in a potentially stressful situation.

What I don't like:
    - The weight, but it's definitely the same as the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6 and the NF ATACR 1-8. So to meet the same objectives I've set, 25oz at this point in time is a necessary evil.
    - The aluminum isn't the strongest they could have used, but it's still very strong. I know the stronger aluminum would carry with it increased cost, weight and size potentially.

Overall I really love this thing and I'm happy with the purchase. I really think this was an excellent buy and though it was cost effective, I don't feel like I sacrificed anything to get here. I feel like I made a quality choice and it has repaid me with hits on target and ease of use. I plan to add the Geissele trigger and a Surefire M600DF with switch and 60 degree mount. That will bring this build home and allow me to fully test it. I plan to take it out again this weekend for another 100 rounds with some more dynamic shooting and possibly some drills. I am also planning on running it for FDCC when I get a chance to do it. We'll see how she does and I've been calling her the "Heavy Reece" for the time being. It's not exactly the full spirit of the Reece but it's also not a MK12 either.

I've included a video below of just the shooting footage, please excuse the music in the background there was a Brit who thought it was just his day and was blasting music.

Last edited by navyman8903; 08-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.

I like the traffic-light setup at that range.

Site Supporter
    Thank you for taking the time to go into such great detail on the experience. It sounds like a very potent setup! I'm assuming you were sticking with the 77gr stuff for the whole session?

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    (great post)
    ...I've included a video below of just the shooting footage, please excuse the music in the background there was a Brit who thought it was just his day and was blasting music.
    Hey, you're the one that gets to keep HK rifles in your home - we'll let the Brit slide on some music!

Thank you for taking the time to go into such great detail on the experience. It sounds like a very potent setup! I'm assuming you were sticking with the 77gr stuff for the whole session?

Hey, you're the one that gets to keep HK rifles in your home - we'll let the Brit slide on some music!
    Yes, I'm only going to feed it Black Hills 77gr TMK's from here forward.

User Tag List