Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Eotech

I kept two of my Eotechs. I did send four in for the refund. I simply shoot no other 1x RDS faster or better. I'll definitely be looking at the new stuff, more in support of myself than them, though.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Ive been running one for a year now on my duty rifle with no issues to report. I change the battery every three months regardless of use despite the rifle being taken out of the cruiser quite frequently as we have alot of gun and weapon related hot calls in my district.

Having to turn it on and then roll is a non issue as its done as I'm slinging the rifle. Do I wish it had better battery life? Absolutely but that is the one trade off that you have to accept if you want the superior (subjective) reticle.

Astigmatism makes most traditional red dot sights a non-starter for me as even with 2 MOA, the "dot" looks like a cluster of berries. The 1 MOA EOTech dot is about a clear as I could ask. I'd happily spend my money elsewhere if Trijicon or Aimpoint actually had a similar product on the market...but they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    EOTech has some pretty special optical technology compared to other RDS, as we might expect from L3. For example the center dot remains the same size while using a 3x magnifier.
    What do you mean by "the same size"? Why would the size change for any other red dot? A 1 MOA dot remains a 1 MOA dot on the EOTech, and a 2 MOA dot remains a 2 MOA dot on a CompM5 or T-2.

I believe the EOTech uses diffractive optics to keep the dot from being magnified. 1/3 moa at 3x.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    Guys who I trust implicitly tell me that the latest generation EoTech is as good as anything on the market right now.
    Here’s the problem with that, at least for me...

For over a decade, maybe two now, we have had dozens of otherwise very switched on Super ninjas that have proclaimed the Eotech to be as good or even better than the Aimpoint. Then every few years there is some new problem or fiasco with Eotech and that generation of ninjas just quietly slips away and after the dust settles there’s some new generation of highly credentialed folks touting the Eotech again, until the next scandal.

For me, it’s the snowflake optic. People claim it’s better, or that they are better with it, but you rarely see quantification of either, and when you do it’s something like “I shoot bill drills faster with an Eotech”, which ultimately doesn’t mean a thing. Mostly it’s the gun equivalent of the guy that puts a K&N filter in their car and feels the increase the first time they touch the gas. They’re always looking for some new ray of hope (all the way back to the XPs turning the battery sideways so they stopped crushing battery terminals... no, before that they added little rubber cups under the terminals to reduce the crushing) but at the end of the day it’s always the also-ran. The great red(dot) hope that’s going to knock out the champ, but Aimpoint just keeps coming out on top.

Couple all that with the fact that you can now buy a pretty decent fakepoint for half the money or less, and the rise in popularity of the LPV, and the Eotech just further becomes the “why bother” optic.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If I kept a grudge list of all the firearms manufacturers that screwed up over the years, I wouldn’t have a thing left to shoot.
    Says pretty much every guy that is willing to trade their principles for new hotness. Just look at the replies below this. “If I stayed mad at s&w I wouldn’t be able to buy an m&p”. Most people stay indignant right up until it’s inconvenient.

That said, the firearms community does tend to get triggered by a lot of minuscule offense, especially in the internet age.

But I’d say that what Eotech did is a bit more egregious than Bill Ruger supposedly being to blame for the ten round mag limit. At least on my scale. Ymmv.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Here’s the problem with that, at least for me...

For over a decade, maybe two now, we have had dozens of otherwise very switched on Super ninjas that have proclaimed the Eotech to be as good or even better than the Aimpoint. Then every few years there is some new problem or fiasco with Eotech and that generation of ninjas just quietly slips away and after the dust settles there’s some new generation of highly credentialed folks touting the Eotech again, until the next scandal.

For me, it’s the snowflake optic. People claim it’s better, or that they are better with it, but you rarely see quantification of either, and when you do it’s something like “I shoot bill drills faster with an Eotech”, which ultimately doesn’t mean a thing. Mostly it’s the gun equivalent of the guy that puts a K&N filter in their car and feels the increase the first time they touch the gas. They’re always looking for some new ray of hope (all the way back to the XPs turning the battery sideways so they stopped crushing battery terminals... no, before that they added little rubber cups under the terminals to reduce the crushing) but at the end of the day it’s always the also-ran. The great red(dot) hope that’s going to knock out the champ, but Aimpoint just keeps coming out on top.

Couple all that with the fact that you can now buy a pretty decent fakepoint for half the money or less, and the rise in popularity of the LPV, and the Eotech just further becomes the “why bother” optic.
    This...

For me the bottom line is that the EO is a great concept that is not well executed with regard to engineering or manufacture. It is full of fleas with regard to emitter design, battery usage, battery connectivity, hologram delamination, switch convenience, predictability/integrity of adjustments and day to day loss of zero. I didn't put that out because of whom I work for, but based on tons of actual use and training on the sights. A good day in that very professional training operation was 20% of the EOs down. A bad day approached 40% down. As Darryl Bolke later characterized them, "they're an aquarium for your iron sights." As a positive, they've likely conducted the very best subliminal marketing campaign of any piece of tactical firearms gear by their pervasive "free gear" programs to various movie, TV and video game production companies over the past 20 years or so, which helped sales tremendously. It also tells you that most males will buy it because they've seen it on TV or in a movie and not because of objective reasons of performance in hard use. I can make an EO work for me, but I quit seeing the reason to try several years ago based on experience, not advertising or Internet forum discussions.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What do you mean by "the same size"? Why would the size change for any other red dot? A 1 MOA dot remains a 1 MOA dot on the EOTech, and a 2 MOA dot remains a 2 MOA dot on a CompM5 or T-2.
    This is covered in the video linked on page one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Says pretty much every guy that is willing to trade their principles for new hotness. Just look at the replies below this. “If I stayed mad at s&w I wouldn’t be able to buy an m&p”. Most people stay indignant right up until it’s inconvenient.

That said, the firearms community does tend to get triggered by a lot of minuscule offense, especially in the internet age.

But I’d say that what Eotech did is a bit more egregious than Bill Ruger supposedly being to blame for the ten round mag limit. At least on my scale. Ymmv.
    I don’t appreciate your implications as to what my principles are so don’t project your issues on me. What I care about is performance. Manufacturers don’t stay the same in perpetuity. The leaders responsible for unethical decisions leave and are replaced eventually. It’s up to you if you want to hold people responsible for the sins of their fathers, so to speak (although I guess that’s literal in Ruger’s case).

The Eotech optics sucked before based on several performance metrics. The big wigs tried to hide it. They eventually got called out and got their peepee slapped, being hit with several law suits and having to eat a metric ton of refunds. Supposedly the optic has now been fixed. It’s up to everyone to decide for themselves if they care more about past unethical behavior by the company leadership or the performance of the item. Another example from the past couple of years is the Sig P320. There were several very concerning issues with the performance of the design. There’s a lot of reason to believe that Sig knew about the issues and tried to hide it. Supposedly the gun works properly now. It’s up to everyone to decide whether or not the gun meets their needs and how they want to weigh things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List