Thread: 2018 Eotech

I’m going to pull out of this discussion after this post. See this:

https://www.newport.com/n/focusing-and-collimating
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I’m going to pull out of this discussion after this post. See this:

https://www.newport.com/n/focusing-and-collimating
    I'm not sure I see the relevance of the URL. The collimating light is used to generate the image of the reticle, that I understand, but the image of the reticle itself, as seen by the human eye and the magnifier, is not consisting of collimated light, AFAIK, i.e., the circled area in the image from my last post is not collimated light. If I am wrong about that, then I can see why a magnifier would not magnify the alleged 1 MOA dot; I guess this is the source of our conflict, whether the hologram itself is projecting collimated light to the shooter's eye.

FWIW, the technical support guy at EOTech that I spoke to did say that it was indeed a perception issue, and that the dot is in actuality smaller than 1 MOA, while the guy at Vortex was befuddled as to how a holographic sight might be able to maintain the same preceived dot size with and without a magnifier. Not staff from the engineering team, but still something to keep in mind.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 08-14-2018 at 12:28 PM.

The light coming out of the diffraction grating and the hologram image should still be highly collimated.

Digging into the EOTech patent, I discovered the mechanism of temperature sensitivity. It's pretty interesting!

"As taught in U.S. Pat. No. 5,483,362, the emission wavelength of a laser diode changes with temperature, and the angle of diffraction is a function of wavelength. By simply illuminating a reticle image hologram with a laser diode, the angular position of the reconstructed image will not be stable. The reticle position will shift with a change in the case temperature of the laser diode. To produce a stable reticle image over a wide temperature range, the illuminating beam is diffracted first by a grating. The wavelength dependency can be removed by matching the dispersions of the grating and the reticle hologram. In the sight described in U.S. Pat. No. 5,483,362, a transmission grating bonded onto a prism is used to produce a dispersion equal to, but with the opposite sign of, the dispersion of the image hologram. In a preferred embodiment of the present invention, a reflection grating is used to compensate for the wavelength dependency of the diffraction by the image hologram. The reflection grating is lighter and more compact than the prism/transmission grating combination..."
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 08-14-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    So many entities lie and cheat and steal and harm the public that we literally couldn't boycott them all without living in mud huts. Why harm yourself with virtue signalling when it won't matter one bit to L3?
    Virtue signaling? Lol! Whatever sport.

I could care less whether my refusal to give them my money affects their bottom line. They don’t deserve my money and I can’t possibly trust my life or that of my loved ones to them. Even before their conspiracy to hide their issues came to light, the EOTech was a mediocre optic. I had 2 or 3 fail on my duty rifle. Countless more in my agency failed and there were boxes of them shipped back for warranty.

As for “harming myself”... hardly. Plenty of better and more reliable optics are available for use. I’m safer by not using anything manufactured by that pathetic company. You do what makes you happy. But don’t put others down for having principles.

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Virtue signaling? Lol! Whatever sport.

I could care less whether my refusal to give them my money affects their bottom line. They don’t deserve my money and I can’t possibly trust my life or that of my loved ones to them. Even before their conspiracy to hide their issues came to light, the EOTech was a mediocre optic. I had 2 or 3 fail on my duty rifle. Countless more in my agency failed and there were boxes of them shipped back for warranty.

As for “harming myself”... hardly. Plenty of better and more reliable optics are available for use. I’m safer by not using anything manufactured by that pathetic company. You do what makes you happy. But don’t put others down for having principles.
    I get that, but many people out there refuse to use what they view as they best products because of things like this. Then the same person will go buy a Ford or something and not see a darn thing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Take this for what it’s worth. Reports I have gotten are the issues are not eliminated. Even when pointed out for years E/O Tech fans (and I was one) kept going back to “mine is perfect”. Right up till it isn’t. We generally see organizational problems at places that issue a lot of them and are not a sample of one. At this point....go ahead and keep using them. They are the safe cigarette of optics. This comes down to trust. If you believe the company now, spend your dollars and take the ride.
    This is interesting. Are these LEO field test reports? Can you elaborate?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Am I the only one who wishes trijicon made a battery ta44? Nice clear etched circle dot reticle that is nice and crisp to my old eyes. Every red dot I’ve looked through looks like a comet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Pay attention to industry announcements. There's about to be a huge change for a large state LE agency that should turn some heads. EOTechs are still EOTechs...
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    No. Believing me is totally optional. I won’t burn my sources.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by drjaydvm View Post
    Am I the only one who wishes trijicon made a battery ta44? Nice clear etched circle dot reticle that is nice and crisp to my old eyes. Every red dot I’ve looked through looks like a comet.
    One of my favorite rifle set ups is on my DMR’s with a ACOG and offset Aimpoint Micro. Get the perfect optic for everything I want in the right place on the gun.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

User Tag List