Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Police Bodycams Can Be Hacked To Doctor Footage

Quote Originally Posted by TSH View Post
    My agency had (has) some issues at the command level with our county fire department. I haven’t seen any bad blood at the street level, nor do I expect any, but we were told to leave our cameras running during any interaction with firefighters/paramedics.
    I spent my first 10 years in a place where all of the publicly safety agencies were in constant battle with each other. I have tried to promote cross training and cooperation in my current stomping grounds, and it seems to work even though there wasn't bad blood here. We will adjust our personnel's schedule as much as possible so that they can attend medical first responder or firefighter training. We also allow/encourage those that volunteer with Fire Rescue to respond to calls in the SO vehicle when off duty. The citizen's paid for the cars, and I doubt they will quibble about blue lights showing up to help along with red. The Sheriff and I went through the medical responder training as well, and we deputized the EMA director (oversees Fire Rescue). We train with the Rescue Task Force concept for a unified response to active shooter incidents.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by TQP View Post
    We get police response on some of our EMS calls. I believe* that most of the time they turn them off in non-public areas when they're with us on an OD or whatever, and they all turn them off in the back of the ambulance.

*Where I work I interact with 3 police agencies daily, and one more regularly. They all have cameras, and I'm not that familiar with any of their policies.
    If that agency has anything other than a "cameras on at ALL times" policy, I'd be very surprised as that would make them a real outlier.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

I like to keep policies simple:

Name:  BWC-page-001.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  42.4 KB
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    Maybe someone in this thread knows...could it be a HIPAA issue?
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

I can see that being a reason for refusal of open information act request, that it would be a HIPAA violation, by revealing protected health information (PHI). Realistically, a SCOTUS case will eventually decide the boundaries of release of body cam footage from inside areas where an "expectation of privacy" exists.

I suppose I think of the world like this - I don't let cops into my house without a warrant (period). As a result, I don't worry about maintaining my "expectation of privacy", because, I don't let cops see inside my house (except through any open windows, in which case, no expectation of privacy). If an officer is inside my house, there will be probable cause and/or a warrant. In which case, the "expectation of privacy" becomes highly limited anyways.

I guess my thoughts on this are that there are simple legal ways of dealing with most of the privacy concerns. None of which supersede the importance of cameras in preventing or prosecuting abuse (either to or by police). My justification for that is simple - The Constitution enumerates a right to due process and a right to privacy is only inferred.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 08-12-2018 at 10:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    I was looking for some of the news articles at the time, which of course I can't find now, from when Columbus PD was implementing their program, and there was a lot of pushback ( like mentioned earlier in the thread) and I thought the policy, at least initially, was somewhat restrictive in private homes at least.

The officer that rode to the hospital with us last week had his camera off. They had called us to come chemically restrain ( Ketamine) a special needs person who was beating themself up in the back of the cruiser. They were trying to take him to the ER, he wasn't under arrest.

(I'm being overly vague because HIPAA)
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

(I'm being overly vague because HIPAA)
    I imagine HIPAA is a real concern, but in my case that’s for our public information officer to figure out. I’ve had my camera save me enough times that I record every interaction, to the point I’ve gone 10-8 when someone has objected to it being on. When possible, every search is in front of the camera, whether it is car, person, whatever. I conduct my interviews in front of the camera, I search personal belongings in front of the camera, and I set up my ped-stops and occupied vehicles for the camera. We like to control the scene, I see cameras as just another opportunity to do so. It allows us to control the narrative that may be played out in court later.

I recently took a retired LAPD guy out for a ride-along. He worked well before the age of cameras and he was curious about the way I spoke, the way I parked my vehicle, etc. until I pointed out that a recording of every encounter I have may be played on a screen in court, so I need to set the scene. On one particular ped stop, I explained on camera the reason for the detention, the scene I observed, why I was as patting down the subject, and everything else I did. My ride along understood but was glad he never had the deal with it. On the other hand, he worked at a time when patrol officers wore helmets, so I may have it easier than him.

Interesting that you being up HIPAA. One of the very few problems we have had with BWCs involved trauma center docs and an RN. They flew the HIPAA flag and demanded security staff arrest our cops when they were in the ER after another agency's OIS because they were there to guard suspect, collect evidence, record any dying declaration, etc. They played that card in two of those events I was supervising. FML. There is case law and signicant legal opinions that cut the legs right out from under their bovine fecal matter. It was shockng that the members of a profession (allegedly) responsible for a couple hundred thousand deaths a year doesn't want BWCs anywhere near them.

Was good to see that the Axon wasn't subject to the issues others were. I wonder how long that will hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Was good to see that the Axon wasn't subject to the issues others were. I wonder how long that will hold up.
    Until someone tries harder.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Interesting that you being up HIPAA. One of the very few problems we have had with BWCs involved trauma center docs and an RN. They flew the HIPAA flag and demanded security staff arrest our cops when they were in the ER after another agency's OIS because they were there to guard suspect, collect evidence, record any dying declaration, etc. They played that card in two of those events I was supervising. FML. There is case law and signicant legal opinions that cut the legs right out from under their bovine fecal matter. It was shockng that the members of a profession (allegedly) responsible for a couple hundred thousand deaths a year doesn't want BWCs anywhere near them.

I don't know what the correct word usage is here; so, I'll just write "interesting". It would be very interesting to see a security guard try to arrest one our Deputy Sheriffs who is in the course of his/her duties.

User Tag List