Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The South African land grab has begun

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    So I may have a visa already
    Halfway home.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

You mind telling this South African who happens to be a Mlungu what exactly this means to "escape" is?

I'm as British or Dutch as any of you are.

Not that I am in a mad rush to leave just yet, but its easy to say just move elsewhere its a lot more challenging to actually get into elsewhere without a (for example) EU Passport or amounts of money the average middle class dude can't access.
    I don't have any good suggestions for you. Best I can muster for you is - Take what marketable skills you have and start applying to jobs elsewhere. Then when you get something and the visas are started, start selling everything of value and buy one way tickets out.

Teaching English is always a skill needed in many parts of the world. One does not necessarily have to leave for a developed country. Going to a developing country where at least the political climate isn't actively hostile towards you, is a step in the right direction.

But this underscores why refugee status is an important thing to be able to attain. If you're (universal you) being actively displaced by war or your own government then becoming a refugee may be the only alternative you have. The slower the bureaucracy is in processing your claims, the longer you have to become a victim of your own countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by TiroFijo View Post
    All over the world most poor people want "redistribution of wealth", in one form or another, no matter what... the greater the gap, the greater the animosity and the least concern for the consequences.

And every person gets an equal vote. If the have-nots far outnumber the ones who have something, the climate is ripe for populism of the worst kind.

Be it Sweden or Liberia.
    Truer words have yet to be written in this thread. If there is anything that is a true potential force against radical left or right wing policies of wealth "redistribution" it is a healthy middle class mixed with opportunity. For millennia we have seen that the nature of mankind creates inequality in any society, this will never change, but the severity, the degree, of the inequality can be limited by (and only by) a healthy and large middle class and by limited government.

Right now what we're seeing in the U.S. the true existential threat to our society here - is that more of our population is becoming poorer, not richer. As a result disparity is growing rapidly and thus so is the internal animosity. The conceptual idea that the government can fix this problem will be the final straw on this camel. Because our government has too much power and too many resources to use wisely as it is. Right now, all other "existential" threats to our society are simply distractions from the elephant in the room. I fear increasingly that our post-apocalyptic society in the US will look more like "The Purge" than "Judge Dredd".

For what little it is worth - I obviously hope that you and yours are able to be safe in there in this deteriorating political climate and that you're able to get out safely. I can only speak for myself here (though I feel this is universal) if you or any of our foreign members need help escaping persecution in their home countries, I will help in any way I can. Don't hesitate to ask and I'll do my best to help.

Most of us are quite lucky to have been born what is arguably the freest country in the world, which we often take for granted. One way to honor that fact is getting my hands dirty to help others gain the same or similar freedoms.

Why? Just enter through California.

The Governor will be there to welcome you with a drivers license & voter registration.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

The Governor will be there to welcome you with a drivers license & voter registration.
    And an EBT card and free health care.

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post

Make sure to beat it into them that you are African.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Make sure to beat it into them that you are African.
    ...and escaping from an apressive government.

...and escaping from an apressive government.
    Freudian slip?

(I kid, I kid. Entiendo que no es su lengua nativa.)

Ha! More like an injured hand... slicing onions too fast.

Ha! More like an injured hand... slicing onions too fast.
    I hope you mend quickly. I've had more than a few stitches.

User Tag List