Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leather AIWB for J-Frame?

Lobo offset clip has worked great for me. I'm still partial to leather

Quote Originally Posted by Irelander View Post
    Not cheap, but the Bobmacs SN-2 looks to me a great option for leather AIWB.

https://bobmacs.com/SN-2
    I was unimpressed with my sample.

Bluntly, the craftsmanship was not on par with the price. Molding was minimal and nowhere close to the quality of other makers I have experience with (Kramer, 5-Shot Leather, JRC Leather, etc.). The holster did not stay open with the gun empty despite the reinforced mouth. Retention of the firearm was not acceptable to me (very little drag on the gun) and vigorous movement could dislodge the gun. Ride height was high -- leading to spillover with the short-muzzle J-Frame. The belt loop, advertised at 1.5", was significantly larger -- leading to shifting of the holster.

Well-executed, it would be a good design. Unfortunately, the sum of the above issues -- particularly the loose retention and holster collapse -- made it unacceptable for my use.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Mutt View Post
    I can't remember the P-F gent off the top of my head that uses a single loop Sparks Summer Special for his snubbies, but he's made me want one.

Mike Pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Mike Pipes.
    I'll try to wake my old partner up so he can mosey over here & contribute, stand by for his scroteisms.

With a small airweight J frame, having a big holster is not a positive. The DSG clip AIWB is the standard for a solid NOE carry system and I wore one through Cecil Burch’s class with zero issues. For leather like....Safariland # 27 is always a favorite for me.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

DB, I know it wasn’t for a j-frame but IIRC, you’d procured an SME for one of your K or L framed wheelies. Have you had time to vett it? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRunner/CSAT Neighbor View Post
    I'll try to wake my old partner up so he can mosey over here & contribute, stand by for his scroteisms.
    Here I is, I like the Milt Sparks SS with 1 loop because it floats a bit for comfort. Just got back from the range using one for the Kimber R6. Draws were smooth and consistent. Shot a 12 point down snub test from holster making all times efficiently. I liked the Safariland 27 that DB recommended but I just prefer a belt loop. CYA Retro PS. Gonna do better on the points down next time!
    The Thin Blue Line is TOO Thin........Thug Life Must End

Ha...I was just pm'ing you!

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    DB, I know it wasn’t for a j-frame but IIRC, you’d procured an SME for one of your K or L framed wheelies. Have you had time to vett it? Any thoughts?
    Like most great dedicated AIWB leather rigs....it is fat and big. I have been building several J frames lately with frame clips. They can go inside a Safariland 25 pocket holster or be shoved in a waistband using the clip. They also fit some of the DDG AIWB holsters. Gives numerous options while keeping things thin.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pipes View Post
    Here I is, I like the Milt Sparks SS with 1 loop because it floats a bit for comfort.I liked the Safariland 27 that DB recommended but I just prefer a belt loop.
    Couldn't the J-clip be replaced with a PTD snap?
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List