Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Instructor Pet Peeves

Instructor Pet Peeves

I wrote this awhile ago, for publication in another place and never really got to it. Hopefully it'll stir some convo her.

Over the course of my career, I have been lucky enough to train with some of the best instructors in the world … and also lucky enough to train with some of the worst. I consider my time spent with the worst just as valuable because it’s given me the opportunity to make note of some of the things that I try NEVER to do when I teach a class. Many instructors who know what they’re talking about will quickly tell you that shooting and teaching are two very different things and having been on the range with many gifted shooters who simply can’t teach, I’m a believer.
    The list is certainly not all-inclusive and hopefully it will foster some discussion on other things we can all avoid while teaching.
    In no particular order, my top ten;

#1. Unprepared

There is perhaps nothing more disheartening than spending money on, traveling to, and spending time in a class that the instructor couldn’t care less about. I’ve seen it all: no lesson plans, no targets, no staples, you name it. Quite often instructors on an unfamiliar range seemed surprised that they didn’t have the target system they need or the barricades the want. Checking the facility beforehand is something any good instructor should do, if for no other reason than to make sure it’s safe. A little preparation to make sure you have what you need to teach the class goes a long way towards making your students comfortable in your ability to transfer information.

#2. Late

We expect students to be on time and there are very few adequate excuses for an instructor being late. For me, being late doesn’t mean the instructor arrived by the time the class was supposed to begin, it means the instructor arrived early enough to make sure his class can begin at the scheduled time. If that means I get there an hour early or the night before, so be it. My student paid for an 8 hour class and should get one. Not an hour of range setup and 7 hours of class.

#3. Long Breaks

Students don’t need 30 minutes every hour to load magazines and take on water. My take on instructors who continually take long breaks is that they simply don’t have enough material (see #1). Unfortunately it’s easy to let “top off your mags and get a drink” become 45 minutes of swapping lies. The instructor needs to take control and get the students on the line. That’s what they came for.

#4. No Breaks

While most instructors who commit this one (I have been guilty in the past) are doing so out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s still a problem. Attention spans on humans are short and people need to drink! Students quickly lose interst if they feel like they are being beaten on the range. I make a point of telling my students I can be guilty of this and asking them to remind me if I forget. When they do, I break the class and apologize.

#5. Making Fun of Students/Guns/Gear

People make mistakes when taking classes and using it against them simply guarantees the student will tune you out for the rest of the day. Likewise, guns and gear are personal choices and criticizing them will aggravate your student who will then just stop listening. Be open about these things despite your personal choices. Your job is to teach them to run what they brought.

#6. Not Knowing Your Audience or Being Unable to Adjust Your Style

This one kind of goes along with #1 but is a bit different. First, it’s important to know whom you’re teaching. A friend of mine attended a class filled with some pretty skilled gun guys a few years back. A guest instructor spent more time on the safety portion of his class than I spend with recruits! We dry fired more than we live fired and were probably half way thru the class before he “allowed” us to put some real ammo in the guns. This despite the fact that their were several IDPA Master Class shooters in the class as well as some industry instructors … not cool.
    It’s also important to recognize that you are going to get classes that are a mixed bag as far as skill levels go and you need to be able to adjust. I hate being in a class and seeing that someone is being left behind because the instructor can only teach at one level.

#7. Sloppy

Maybe it’s the cop in me, but I hate sloppy instructors. It just doesn’t make me feel confident about their abilities. One of my top 5 instructors is a former Marine who makes liberal use of the ironing board in his hotel room and it shows. Of course we’re all going to be a little rumpled after a day on the range but it says something about the instructor if you show up in the morning looking crisp and ready to go.

#8. Complainers

All ranges aren’t perfect, all classes aren’t perfect, all weather isn’t perfect … suck it up and make it work. Our goal is to make the students focus on the training, not on what equipment is missing, the cold/heat, the hard concrete, etc. Put a smile on your face and run your class.

#9. This Is “The” Way

Teaching people how to fight with a gun involves options and if you only have one, you haven’t studied your craft much. There are multiple ways to use a flashlight, use cover, shoot and move, etc. Teach your students options and work through them so they can decide what works for them.

#10. No Demos

I can shoot pretty well, certainly not to the level of some people reading this article but well enough to get along. I DO however demo the drills I teach in a class. Demonstrations perform a multitude of functions. They show the student what can be achieved because the instructor just did it. It gives them confidence in the instructor, the student needs to know that you know what you’re doing. I recently took a very good class from a well prepared instructor, good material, great lesson plan. Throughout the class he never took his gun out of the holster … I wasn’t impressed.

I have a few more, but they’re small, so I’ll leave it at ten. My intention was to generate some discussion, so feel free to add your own.

I can't stand an instructor who ridicules students. I've seen it happen a few times.
    #RESIST

Bad-mouthing other instructors. Names were never used, but the references were thinly-veiled. I think that's pretty tacky, whether or not the instructor's assessment is correct.

Good post Rich.

What are some pet peeves the instructor has regarding students?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can't stand an instructor who ridicules students. I've seen it happen a few times.
    There is a fine line here. I have seen some instructors go back and forth jokingly with students with no issues. I have also seen it taken a little too far.

What are some pet peeves the instructor has regarding students?
    Off the top of my head...

Late for class, late back from lunch, late for anything.

Unprepared. Most instructors are clear about the equipment needed, if the class calls for 6 mags and you show up with three, everyone suffers.

Closed minded. One thing I learned in an off hand comment from TLG is the idea that I'll cheerfully do whatever the instructor suggests for the class and make a decision about it's value at the conclusion of the class.

Try to accurately estimate your own abilities. Quite recently I had a student show up for a class that was advertised as an advanced class. He was a beginner to say the least and was royally pissed when I asked him to step out. frankly, I'm happy to help a less skilled student along, but he was downright unsafe.

Dismissive of safety rules. I've had several students who informed me that based on their LE/Mil/Spec Ops/MI-6 experience, it was ok to point guns where they shouldn't, cover the trigger when they shouldn't and just generally be a shit head with their pistol.

There is a fine line here. I have seen some instructors go back and forth jokingly with students with no issues. I have also seen it taken a little too far.
    I agree, I keep the mood pretty light and try to make the range fun, but like every other human interaction you have to try to keep clear of things that are offensive.

Not too long ago I was in an LE class taught by a very well known instructor. He demo'd a fairly simple drill on a timer with his STI race gun and then began walking down the line loudly timing each student on the same drill and ridiculing each student who didn't match his time with their duty guns/holsters. When he got to me I asked him if he would show us how it looks with my stock 226 and Safariland 6280. He wasn't amused. Neither was I and left the class. He may have had something to say, but at that point I was already done listening.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Bad-mouthing other instructors. Names were never used, but the references were thinly-veiled. I think that's pretty tacky, whether or not the instructor's assessment is correct.
    I disagree, to an extent. If there is a disagreement on technique or something else, and it is explained, I have no issues with someone calling BS. That being said, there is probably a VERY short list of people that can get away with that. They also have plenty of evidence to support their reasoning.

I guess if something was completely ridiculous, sure, I could see disagreeing.
    But, for me, the idea of taking a class is to see and try new things. I try to give them a chance and see if the instructor is on to something.
    For example, I can't count how many students I've shown a thumbs forward grip, watched them struggle and by the end of the day they are telling me how much it improved their shooting.

Thanks for the post R. Sound observations. As usual. Fortunately I am only guilty of one or two. Maybe 3. Definately guilty of no breaks, but I am working on it.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

In addition to what's mentioned above:

- Poor instructor to student ratios, especially if class is run with all students on the line at the same time.

- Poor AIs: I've been to classes where good adjunct staff made a lot of positive influence, and I've been to classes where AIs were annoying and distracting.

- Overtly simplistic explanations [my favorite is "all you need to to do is press trigger without disturbing sight alignment" - doh, really, never knew that] or explanations I can understand the logic behind.

Posting that a class has prerequisites and then not following them. I hate showing up to a class only to see Mom and Pop unpacking their brand new guns and Uncle Mikes nylon paddle holster to an "Advanced" class. The only thing worse was there hillbilly son in the trench coat that was eerily "Blade" like in his appearance.

I also had this happen at Blackwater once with some folks that were fair competitive shooters but severely out of place in a "LE-MIL Only" class. They conducted the shooting drills but when it came time for force-on-force or the practical "Hogans Alley" segment they held us up ALOT!
    Last edited by Chipster; 03-09-2011 at 11:26 PM. Reason: added information

User Tag List