Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    As someone who once narrowly avoided getting bumped to open because of an incorrectly listed weight in the Production gun list, I think this is a very good change. (The Walther P99c is listed as 20 ounces on the Prod gun list, but if you check Walther's website, it's actually 21.5, which means that under the old rule, you only got a half ounce with that gun.)
    You are welcome.

I’d like to think that some of my well-times comments on this subject helped this change to take place. It always bugged me that manufacturers had to state a weight - but conformance to that weight over time is probably NEVER on the list of manufacturing requirements. This was a real problem for a few.

Not everyone was happy though - there are some who would exploit this to artificially raise the weight of guns where the manufactured weight is just under the listerd weight.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    You are welcome.

I’d like to think that some of my well-times comments on this subject helped this change to take place. It always bugged me that manufacturers had to state a weight - but conformance to that weight over time is probably NEVER on the list of manufacturing requirements. This was a real problem for a few.

Not everyone was happy though - there are some who would exploit this to artificially raise the weight of guns where the manufactured weight is just under the listerd weight.
    I don't compete with that gun anymore, so it's no longer a problem for me (in fact, my current gun's weight on the Production list is wrong in the other direction), but if you had a hand in making that change happen, then thank you. I'm sure all those who benefit from it appreciate having a little more breathing room. After that close shave with getting bumped to open, I contacted both USPSA *and* Walther regarding the error, but neither of them did anything about it.

On some level, even if your Glock/M&P/Walther/whatever plastic-framed pistol is a few ounces over, it's still never going to be as heavy as the Shadow 2 you're shooting against. I think there's a reasonable argument to be made that the division would be fairest with a max weight limit rather than an allowance over stock. It'd sure be easier to keep track of for the ROs on the chrono/measurements stage, too.

RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input.

I cleaned up my pistol today. Nothing in the magwell, really. I wiped it it with some CRC in case.

Same with the mags. They were a bit grimy. I will look after them better.

Doing some ejections it dawned on me part of my issue might be the Grip angle. The Glock needs more heeling than my VP9. Anyway, I will have to remember to point it up a bit more.

I also forgot that from basic physics, adding weight to the basepad will not make the mags fall any faster. Galileo and all that F=mA, Newton’s Second Law stuff. Ceteris Parabus of course.

So I’m just going to keep working on grip strength, point the gun so the magwell is vertical, and rock on with my plastic p-f Orange basepads. [emoji41]

Thanks again all.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-12-2018 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I also forgot that from basic physics, adding weight to the basepad will not make the mags fall any faster. Galileo and all that F=mA, Newton’s Second Law stuff. Ceteris Parabus of course.
    I've seen more people have to strip mags out of Glocks than any other type of gun. Until someone shows me evidence otherwise, my theory is that plastic magwell/plastic mag has more friction than plastic magwell/metal mag. There may be benefits to trying to slick them up, as long as the result is not them flying out of your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    True, but weight helps overcome friction.

As someone who once narrowly avoided getting bumped to open because of an incorrectly listed weight in the Production gun list, I think this is a very good change. (The Walther P99c is listed as 20 ounces on the Prod gun list, but if you check Walther's website, it's actually 21.5, which means that under the old rule, you only got a half ounce with that gun.)
    This production weight thing is a mess, especially if you gun is manufactured by a company that doesn’t care much about USPSA. On the old web site, the 92 Vertec was listed at 29 ounces. However, Beretta’s web site lists it as 33.3.

http://www.beretta.com/en/92-vertec-inox/

When I pointed this out, they said I had to get Beretta to send them a letter verifying this information.

Funny thing is, I just looked at the new web site, and the 92 Vertec is no longer listed. Guess if I wanted to shoot a Vertec, I’d need to shoot a 98 Vertec. Ironically, it would not be the first time I’ve shot a 9x21 in competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    This production weight thing is a mess, especially if you gun is manufactured by a company that doesn’t care much about USPSA. On the old web site, the 92 Vertec was listed at 29 ounces. However, Beretta’s web site lists it as 33.3.
    So you were basically prohibited from running that gun at all at any match where it would get weighed, and still would be even under the new 4-ounce allowance. Yikes.

My scenario with the P99c was that at weigh in, the scale read 22.1, which of course would have put me 2.1 ounces over according to the Prod gun list, when it should really only have been 0.6 over. The RM was called, and she decided that since the tolerance of the scale being used was 0.1 ounce, it would actually have to be 22.2 to be over, plus shooting a subcompact in Production at a level 2 match meant that I was REALLY not getting an advantage from it. Based on those two factors, she left me in Production, but I was sure nervous about it until she delivered her ruling. That was something like 4 years ago now, but I doubt I'll ever forget the exact numbers involved.

This ‘on the edge’ business is why I was in favor of increasing the weight allowance.

A max weight for Production would be simpler, butwould have the unintended consequence of people adding internal weights to their Glocks and whatnot.

I’m not keen on the Production Gun “List” but it is what it is and has its plusses and minuses. Changing this or setting a max gun weight would be a material change to Production with little benefit.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

So you were basically prohibited from running that gun at all at any match where it would get weighed, and still would be even under the new 4-ounce allowance. Yikes.
    Yep, and at the time it was only 2 ounces, so had to go a different route. Now I have a Shadow 2, and I know that it will be kept up to date and accurate, because let's face it, that gun is specifically built for IPSC / USPSA Production Division.

Quote Originally Posted by GuanoLoco View Post
    A max weight for Production would be simpler, but would have the unintended consequence of people adding internal weights to their Glocks and whatnot.
    At this point, why not let them add weight? It's OK to shoot a 45 ounce gun if the manufacturer designed it that way. I'm not sure the intention of this division any more. Originally, it was guns with some kind of double action trigger mechanism, and even the most competitive guns came in under the $1K mark. I remember when the Springfield XD was disallowed, since it's a single action only trigger mechanism.

That being said, the Shadow 2 is sure a hoot to shoot. After many struggles going against the grain, seems easier to just go with the flow.

User Tag List