Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

Looking for some clarification and suggestions on Production-legal USPSA weighted basepads for my Glock 19.

I’m a little confused about what weights are legal. And, because of my hand size (M) and circumstances (lefty, stubby fingers with a weak mag release) I find it hard to get my OEM mags to drop. I have a Glock extended mag release, but although helpful, it’s not perfect.

So I’m pondering adding weighted basepads.

Is there a go-to brand or type that is suggested? I’d prefer them in brighter colors to find them in the dirt. Easy on/off would be a plus. I shoot P so I don’t need any additional capacity.

I’m ready to buy enough for a set but I don’t want to blow $100 on a set if I make the wrong decision.

Thanks for any info.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.

There is no legal weight for basepads in Production. There is a maximal legal weight for a gun with an empty mag in. Those weights are listed in the Production rule book. I use Shockbottle ones for my Glocks, seem adequate and I presume they make the weight.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

When you press your mag release, make sure the mag well is vertical and not horizontal. It will drop free just fine

RFI: USPSA Production Legal Weighted Glock Basepads

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    There is no legal weight for basepads in Production. There is a maximal legal weight for a gun with an empty mag in. Those weights are listed in the Production rule book. I use Shockbottle ones for my Glocks, seem adequate and I presume they make the weight.
    Thanks.

It is a bit confusing.

D-18 has this rule on max weight over empty:

When I go to the pistol list, I get this for my gun:

So am I good for 28 oz. overall?

Then I see this which would suggest there’s no restrictions as long as it fits in the box:

I suppose another option is to use Glock 17 magazines. I’m not sure anyone does that.

I will also make sure my mags are clean and look at the magwell to see if there is anything in terms of a burr or dirt hanging them up, I typically don’t (or haven’t) worried too much about my mags during a match. They plop onto the ground, which at my range is a mix of wet/damp dirt, sand and gravel.

I’m also working at my grip strength (e.g. Farmers Carry) at the gym to build my hand strength to hit the release.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by RJ; 08-12-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Yes, when I was shooting a 19 in CO, I used 17 magazines.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    So am I good for 28 oz. overall?
    Correct. That's a recent change; the allowance used to be 2 ounces, but the bumped it up to 4 with the most recent change to the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Correct. That's a recent change; the allowance used to be 2 ounces, but the bumped it up to 4 with the most recent change to the rule book.
    Thanks, it’s not extremely clear, hence the question.

But yeah 4 oz seems pretty generous. I’ll clean up my USPSA mags and do some more Dry Practice today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks, it’s not extremely clear, hence the question.

But yeah 4 oz seems pretty generous. I’ll clean up my USPSA mags and do some more Dry Practice today.
    As someone who once narrowly avoided getting bumped to open because of an incorrectly listed weight in the Production gun list, I think this is a very good change. (The Walther P99c is listed as 20 ounces on the Prod gun list, but if you check Walther's website, it's actually 21.5, which means that under the old rule, you only got a half ounce with that gun.)

Henning makes great stuff. He’s a shooter first and totally “gets it”. That said, I don’t have personal experience with his basepads specifically.

Personally, I shoot production with stock unmodified magazines. My recommendation would be figuring out a solution to the mag release issue that doesn’t involve tinkering with the ammo feeding device.

User Tag List