Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holster Selection for Plainclothes Work

I'm going to say I wouldn't be surprised that someone well-versed in grappling and shooting would get a net benefit from AIWB.

I'd bet the average officer gains most from some active retention.

If holsters sans active retention are definitely going to happen, I'd urge towards getting the Raven injection molded lines in the list. Perun plus Eidolon covers a lot of bases.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SCD, unfortunately, is a no go. Weapon mods (except for sights) are a no go.

OAD, yup the Perun would definitely be a front runner. The Eidolon has been my holster for use on my own time almost since they became available. It works, but the JM gear keeps calling my name.

[Off-topic: I find it quite frustrating (on the rare occasion that even think about it any more) when agencies apply restrictive policies that exclude the good (such as the SCD and AIWB) along with the bad. That said, folks who make policy are generally not enlightened enough to be able to sift down to such things. Too, policy is largely to protect the agency so in that vein, the urge to dumb things down and just say "No." is, I guess, understandable. Most policy exists because somewhere back down the line, somebody did something so stupid, they had to make a rule. I can only imagine what one might see inside an agency that allows personally-owned ARs without a restrictive policy on modifications.]

Why does the concealing garment have to be fleece year round? There are tons of those canvas vest things on the market that would be much cooler and practical.

I have worked narcotics over 13 years now. Any given day can, and frequently does, find me doing some kind of UC work. Things like driving a CS to buy dope are the most common. My BUG is carried AIWB and my primary in a BladeTech Nano during the warmer months. As soon as it gets cold enough for the field jacket and SAS smock I carry my primary in a Safariland ALS holster. I like the holster a lot. I like the security, speed of the draw and the consistency the holster offers.

When we jock up for search warrants and things like that the AIWB holster goes away. It just doesn’t work at all for me with the vest. The vest winds up riding on top of the gun which results in the gun jamming down uncomfortably and the vest riding up weird. That is with a .357 LCR. I can’t imagine how bad it would be with a full size gun.

We have a woman in our office who carries a Glock 22 AIWB in an Eidolon. She loves the holster, but has to ditch it every time she vests up as well.

If you have people opt for AIWB they will still need a OWB holster for when they don a vest.

I think your priority should be getting the Glock 19 approved across the board and adding in a different concealing garment like a canvas vest. Keep the Safariland holster. Something else would conceal better, but as has already been mentioned, gun grabs suck. They suck even more when you are fighting over a gun with no retention except for friction. BTDT as well, it is a new level of suck.

Everyone knows they are armed. So they are essentially uniformed officers who have to conceal their gear by policy. Treat them as uniformed officers and let the mission drive the gear train that way.

I currently use a Safariland 537 to conceal under a suit jacket while in a courtroom, but not everybody knows I'm armed* and I'm not the cops. It works well and satisfies my policy's retention requirement, but it's not as secure as an ALS (firing grip on the weapon will deactivate the retention). Southnarc did speak well of the holster, but the testers had formal training in retention tactics/grappling with guns.

Have you tried this type of ALS/Safariland holster mount? Might go a bit better for the concealment requirement with the issue rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Have you tried this type of ALS/Safariland holster mount? Might go a bit better for the concealment requirement with the issue rig.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I bought these for all of my ALS concealment holsters. I wound up going back to the 567 belt loop. I find the 567 belt loop more stable and comfortable than the 565.

KPD - The vest we have defaulted to is the 5.11 Covert Vest (had to look it up). https://www.511tactical.com/covert-vest.html
    It’s not a matter of having to wear this particular vest, rather this is the sleekest rig we have found and people have just gravitated to it. At least it does not make the wearer look like a camping/fishing expedition is imminent. As far as trapping heat, when you are already wearing armor which is trapping heat like nobody’s business, the vest material mostly becomes non-factor. Some folks do wear other canvas vests. I have used ones from Duluth and Woolrich. This 5.11 is lightweight and allows decent movement. The collar tends to want to stand up, and that is the least desirable feature of the vest.

Dr. House - Yup. Been meaning to test drive one of those, but the kydex plates we have had for a while (see earlier post) get us to the same place. The issue with the ALS holsters seems to be the holster body itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaw View Post
    KPD - The vest we have defaulted to is the 5.11 Covert Vest (had to look it up). https://www.511tactical.com/covert-vest.html
    It’s not a matter of having to wear this particular vest, rather this is the sleekest rig we have found and people have just gravitated to it. At least it does not make the wearer look like a camping/fishing expedition is imminent. As far as trapping heat, when you are already wearing armor which is trapping heat like nobody’s business, the vest material mostly becomes non-factor. Some folks do wear other canvas vests. I have used ones from Duluth and Woolrich. This 5.11 is lightweight and allows decent movement. The collar tends to want to stand up, and that is the least desirable feature of the vest.
    That's what we're issued. Concealed is the rule unless we're in plate carrier rig. It's a great item of clothing. I don't support the philosophy behind it but, hey, I asked to be here. I enjoy it and it's not as bad as wearing your vest under a dress shirt in Vegas.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Another vote for the GLS 537. Not as much retention as the ALS but FAR better concealment.

Site Supporter
    Maybe I’m missing something, but are you considering the risks of a striker-fired (Glock 17, maybe 19) weapon in an AIWB holster for ALL your PO’s (meat-eaters and otherwise?)
    I’d be concerned about the safety issues of having “non-gun people,” or “non-training focused” people pointing a muzzle at their femoral artery.
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-AIWB - but it think it’s best as a “self selection” system.

If I misunderstood, and it’s an option for those who want it, please disregard.

User Tag List