Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun search

Gun search

I have been looking for a .357 magnum autoloader so I don't have to buy yet another caliber weapon. I've found the 4lb behemoth Desert Eagle and the Coonan that uses the basic John Browning 1911 design. Are there any others out there and are they worth looking at?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocum View Post
    I have been looking for a .357 magnum autoloader Are there any others out there and are they worth looking at?
    Did wildey come in 357?

As far as modern autoloaders, I think you pretty much have exhausted your possibilities.

There's the old Colt National Match 38 Special Mid-Range. But at that rate, It's easier/cheaper to just get a new gun and stock some different ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Chocum View Post
    I have been looking for a .357 magnum autoloader so I don't have to buy yet another caliber weapon. I've found the 4lb behemoth Desert Eagle and the Coonan that uses the basic John Browning 1911 design. Are there any others out there and are they worth looking at?
    If you’re considering it for anything other than a range toy, then get a semi auto in a cartridge meant for a semi auto. Shooting an overly long, and rimmed cartridge is not ideal in a semi automatic pistol.

You've exhausted the current market as far as I know. I would opt for a Coonan if you were really opposed to a different cartridge.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Were I in the market for a .357 auto-loader, I'd have to go with the Coonan. A bit bigger than a 1911, but nowhere near Desert Eagle size. I had the opportunity to shoot a Coonan. Recoil seemed moderate with factory 158 grain 357, actually less than 10MM to me.

Site Supporter
    You would be far better off selling the 357 and buying a 9mm wheel gun and your choice of 9mm autos.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by cjb1911 View Post
    You would be far better off selling the 357 and buying a 9mm wheel gun and your choice of 9mm autos.
    This. Except I'd keep the 357mag wheelgun. Also, I've not heard stellar reliability reports regarding any of the 357mag autos. They also tend to have extended periods of unavailability, which means support issues should yours have problems.

For the price of a 357mag auto (assuming $1k+, which was the average price last I looked), you could buy a decent mid-sized 9mm auto like a Glock 19 or S&W M&P ($500), a case or two of ammo ($170 each), a decent holster ($100), and a couple extra mags ($30/each).

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 08-12-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    This. Except I'd keep the 357mag wheelgun. Also, I've not heard stellar reliability reports regarding any of the 357mag autos. They also tend to have extended periods of unavailability, which means support issues should yours have problems.

For the price of a 357mag auto (assuming $1k+, which was the average price last I looked), you could buy a decent mid-sized 9mm auto like a Glock 19 or S&W M&P ($500), a case or two of ammo ($170 each), a decent holster ($100), and a couple extra mags ($30/each).

Chris
    I can't agree more with any of this statement. Having owned several different magnum semi autos, I can say, conclusively, that they're all gimmicks, not serious defensive pistols.

Get a G19 or M&Pc 9mm, buy a decent holster, some ammo, and go to a good training course. Would be MUCH better way to spend your money.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    If you've just got to have that power, .357 Sig is your best bet. While it's not for me, I've been impressed with the ones I've shot (all two of them). Took a 2 day class with a guy that had one, he kept asking why everyone was standing so far away.

User Tag List