Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M16A2 magwell out of spec...

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Also, what’s the, “go to,” solution other departments are using on surplussed M16’s to add a light, and an A1 or collapsible stock? Half of our department (10 guys) is 6’4” or over, so we’re ok with the big guns, but the other half is 5’7” and under, and they’ll need another option.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    The "big thing" is to keep all of the parts so that the weapon can be returned to its original configuration.
    When I was in Nebraska, the local SO where I worked had gotten M16A1's and had very little money to work with. I recommended Magpul MOE rifle-length handguards to mount lights to: https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-...length-ar15-m4

At the time I recommended whatever budget combo light/mount that IWC had going at the time. Today I would suggest a Magpul mount with the Streamlight Rail Light.

The Sully stock would be a good option: http://www.thedefensiveedge.com/Sull..._p/sully01.htm
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

There is a point at which modifying free guns is false economy, and I've seen a number of agencies spend more on time, parts, and making them work than new guns would have. For example, I have fresh quotes for 6720s and 6920s, agency exempt purchasing, in the $750-$900 range with immediate availability.

For this reason, I just don't bother even recommending the LESO guns anymore, esp pre-A2 variants. You're not getting what you really want. I also suggest folks just buy PROs or ACOs rather than messing with LESO optics. Many will be GTG, many won't.

Food for thought.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    My department recently obtained several FN and Colt M16A2’s with carry handles and burst capability. Since I’m the, “gun guy,” on the department, I was tasked with inspecting them and looking for issues.

All but one gun function checked fine, and worked well. The problem was one of the FN’s magwells seemed undersized. To the point where the gun wouldn’t accept a milepec aluminum mag without forcing it. It was free of any carbon debris, or melted plastic.

I’ve not seen an issue quite like this before. Please advise.

Also, what’s the, “go to,” solution other departments are using on surplussed M16’s to add a light, and an A1 or collapsible stock? Half of our department (10 guys) is 6’4” or over, so we’re ok with the big guns, but the other half is 5’7” and under, and they’ll need another option.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My experience from dealing with this issue over and over as a Colt Armorer Instructor is to NOT spend money on these DRMO gun conversion projects. You'll find that if you buy quality parts to do any conversions from rifle to carbine, you're within $100 of buying new guns configured the way you want them. Just doing receiver extensions is feasible, but I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze on that. Plus, you don't really know what the history of the DRMO guns are with regard to round count, dimensional compliance after years of service, etc. They can be literally worth what you paid for them (nothing). If you are going to use them, be prepared to cull out many of them for cause and just learn to say the word "next!" when in this process.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 08-13-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Site Supporter
    Drang beat me to what I was going to say about the mag catch.

For buttstock swaps, speaking from the Army side, we've put M4 extensions and stocks on many M16A2's and A4's. Even normal-sized guys have some problems with the full A2 stock and an IBA/IOTV especially when getting in and out of vehicles quickly. Plus it's a relatively fast job to reverse with the right tools.

For mounting a light on the factory A2 or M4 style handguards without rails, I prefer this mount:
    https://www.impactweaponscomponents....-mount-n-slot/

This mount makes it easy to do a tape switch along the top to make it play nice with righties, lefties, and goofy cross-dominant southpaw shooters like me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    My experience from dealing with this issue over and over as a Colt Armorer Instructor is to NOT spend money on these DRMO gun conversion projects. You'll find that if you buy quality parts to do any conversions from rifle to carbine, you're within $100 of buying new guns configured the way you want them. Just doing receiver extensions is feasible, but I wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze on that. Plus, you don't really know what the history of the DRMO guns are with regard to round count, dimensional compliance after years of service, etc. They can be literally worth what you paid for them (nothing). If you are going to use them, be prepared to cull out many of them for cause and just learn to say the word "next!" when in this process.
    Thanks everyone! I’m not giving up my AR pistol (Barrett REC7) but the guys that don’t have a long gun...well, this is better than nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List