Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lightweight PCC on a budget?

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the post about the other buffer and spring combo - I will try that as my current PSA upper slings brass a long way and I would like to tame that recoil impulse.

Quote Originally Posted by JRB View Post
    Potentially dumb question - Is the Colt 6951 just overpriced for this, or does it suck for some reason?
    I haven't checked prices recently, but I think the last time I saw they were going for a little over $1000. Not having direct experience with those rifles, I don't know if it's going to be worth the extra $300 to $400 you would pay over the cost of a Palmetto State Armory set up.
    It seems that the only drawback is the proprietary Colt style magazines.
    Well, I don't see it that way. The "Colt" style mags work have a reputation for working reliably in ARs setup for them, and have the last round bolt hold open. The "Glock" style AR setups, either don't have the LRBHO, or if they have the LRBHO, they have a reputation for being unreliable, or very expensive, or both.

As I said above, if were to get serious about competing in PCC, and using a 9mm AR, I'd go with one that uses the "Colt style" mags, to get LRBHO and reliability. I'd still probably go with the budget option of a PSA gun, rather than the more expensive ones, but I'm a notorious cheapskate. My "Glock style" setup has been running reliably over several hundred rounds, and the same for other ones my buddies have, but our guns don't have the LRBHO.

The mags from Colt are horribly expensive, but mags made by Metalform are known to be reliable, and currently going for about $30 each.

Heck, all discussion of AR9s aside, if I shot long guns right handed I probably would have just gotten a Ruger PC carbine. Supposedly it's reliable, it takes Glock mags, has a LRBHO, and sells for about $550. Unfortunately the only thing they didn't make "ambidextrous" was the safety.

If I didn’t already have the 9mm SBR and a bunch of Colt mags I’d be looking at a new standalone option possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    The mags from Colt are horribly expensive, but mags made by Metalform are known to be reliable, and currently going for about $30 each.
    I have had good luck with the Brownells, that are probably Metalform. Just got another one today.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 08-16-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    $250 (with free shipping) PSA 16" upper: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...654485801.html
    That's pretty darn appealing on price - thanks for all the detail in both the post I quoted and the ones that followed it. I think I could be ok with losing LRBHO if it means the whole deal comes in that cheap.

Anybody know what the weight of the rail on that upper is? The word "lightweight" isn't terribly concrete.

Any experience with this Taccom hand guard? Seems like about the least expensive way to lighten up the front end that I've seen so far:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/tacc...rd-14-292.html

Too bad the Glock lowers are currently out of stock, or my credit card might be in danger, even though I'm still a little bit leery of PSA products. Might have to order the upper while it's on clearance regardless.

There are a number of resellers New Frontier lowers, which I believe includes PSA. I got mine as a house branded assembled lower through Joe Bob Outfitters but there are many other rollmarks for the same lower.
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

FYI, if this has been offered when I bought my pistol I would have gotten this instead: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449191.html

As for a pistol, with a brace, these are also a better deal than what I did by buying the lower, upper, and brace separately:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...165449198.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...ol-black1.html

The only problem I see with those three options is they don't have the LRBHO. However, I just shot a USPSA match with someone who was using an AR9. The LRBHO was no factor, because with no mag restrictions, he just used large enough mags he never had to reload.
    Last edited by DMF13; 08-26-2018 at 03:27 PM.

User Tag List