Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight PCC on a budget?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That's probably easier said than done, given that I'm a plain old civilian who doesn't work in the gun industry. Nice that you were able to get a good deal on yours, though.
    Sorry if I gave the wrong impression...... I skipped on the MPX....... but they can be had for just over a grand if you know the people with the power.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Not a true PCC, but you get the idea anyway.

Name:  79A1E37D-8ADE-4FE2-8FEA-7ABDAC1F07AD.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  61.5 KB
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 08-13-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Sorry if I gave the wrong impression...... I skipped on the MPX....... but they can be had for just over a grand if you know the people with the power.
    No worries - you just made me take a quick run at gunbroker, that's all, and I probably would have done that anyway. Also, thanks for sharing a pic of your AR9 - looks like a pretty nice setup with the can mostly inside the handguard like that.

Not including optics and mags, you could get a nice setup, right now, for under $500, with a LRBHO.

$200 (with free shipping) PSA "Colt style" lower: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...r-classic.html

$250 (with free shipping) PSA 16" upper: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...654485801.html

I got a "Glock" style pistol lower (no LRBHO), and a 10.5" upper. I got it as a range "toy," but I have just a little regret at not waiting to get a 16" upper, and "Colt" style lower so I could compete with it occasionally. Not a huge problem for me, but I may get a 16" upper and "Colt style" lower to compete with later.

Here are some tips for the AR9s:
    The buffer in most 9mm ARs is too short and too light, as it's just a slightly heavier carbine buffer.

So at a minimum you need to get a spacer, or you will end up breaking the bolt catch due to hard cycling. This is one you could use: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New...fferspacer.htm

That will slightly reduce the hard cycling, but the best option is to get a longer and heavier (7 to 8oz) buffer, instead of the spacer. I use this one: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KVP...7.5-9mm-ss.htm KAK makes a good one too: https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...mm-buffer-long

Along with the longer/heavier buffer, you will want to use a Tubbs flat wire AR10 buffer spring: https://www.larue.com/products/tubbs...uffer-springs/

Because the AR9s are direct blowback, that spring and buffer combo will smooth the cycling out tremendously. When I first got my AR9 I was disappointed at the harsh cycling. When a friend explained the buffer and spring change, I ordered the parts and swapped them out. While it's not as soft shooting as an MP5, after the new spring and buffer it's much softer cycling than my M4.

If you don't want to do the 16" barrel option, it's my understanding USPSA and IDPA rules won't allow a "braced" pistol for PCC competition. So if you want to go shorter than a 16" barrel and/or 26" overall length, you'll need to go the NFA route, and that's an additional $200, and several month wait. Also, if you and your wife want to both be able to use it without the other one present, you'll have to do an "NFA trust" with both of you on the trust, and that's an additional expense.

Just because the PSA stuff is inexpensive doesn't mean it's not good. My friends and I weren't willing to pay CMMG or Wilson prices for a range toy, so several of us got PSA AR9s. None us have had any problems, using a variety of ammo and magazines. We've used Glock and Magpul mags, and a wide variety of ammo from 115gr and 124gr FMJ (both round nose and flat nose), to with 124gr Speer GDHP and 147gr Hydra-Shok HP.

I had heard that most AR9s had trouble with flat nose and HP rounds, but we haven't had any jams in ours over several hundreds of rounds of shooting in each of the guns.
    Last edited by DMF13; 08-14-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    Recoil is still somewhat significant and weird feeling compared to a normal DI gun.
    Like I said above, you might want to try a Tubbs flat wire AR10 buffer spring, to go with your heavier (and I assume longer) buffer. It makes a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    So at a minimum you need to get a spacer
    I was surprised mine didn't come with one, and you can use a stack of quarters as an expedient. I do need to buy that spacer someday, funny how stuff that is working makes you forget...

Along with the longer/heavier buffer, you will want to use a Tubbs flat wire AR10 buffer spring
    Thanks for that tip, I will probably try that when I get around to getting the spacer.

Just because the PSA stuff is inexpensive doesn't mean it's not good.
    I was going to mention them earlier, several friends have them and are also happy. And there is quite the variety.

Not including optics and mags, you could get a nice setup, right now, for under $500, with a LRBHO.

$200 (with free shipping) PSA "Colt style" lower: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...r-classic.html

$250 (with free shipping) PSA 16" upper: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...654485801.html

I got a "Glock" style pistol lower (no LRBHO), and a 10.5" upper. I got it as a range "toy," but I have just a little regret at not waiting to get a 16" upper, and "Colt" style lower so I could compete with it occasionally. Not a huge problem for me, but I may get a 16" upper and "Colt style" lower to compete with later.

Here are some tips for the AR9s:
    The buffer in most 9mm ARs is too short and too light, as it's just a slightly heavier carbine buffer.

So at a minimum you need to get a spacer, or you will end up breaking the bolt catch due to hard cycling. This is one you could use: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New...fferspacer.htm

That will slightly reduce the hard cycling, but the best option is to get a longer and heavier (7 to 8oz) buffer, instead of the spacer. I use this one: https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/KVP...7.5-9mm-ss.htm KAK makes a good one too: https://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-pa...mm-buffer-long

Along with the longer/heavier buffer, you will want to use a Tubbs flat wire AR10 buffer spring: https://www.larue.com/products/tubbs...uffer-springs/

Because the AR9s are direct blowback, that spring and buffer combo will smooth the cycling out tremendously. When I first got my AR9 I was disappointed at the harsh cycling. When a friend explained the buffer and spring change, I ordered the parts and swapped them out. While it's not as soft shooting as an MP5, after the new spring and buffer it's much softer cycling than my M4.

If you don't want to do the 16" barrel option, it's my understanding USPSA and IDPA rules won't allow a "braced" pistol for PCC competition. So if you want to go shorter than a 16" barrel and/or 26" overall length, you'll need to go the NFA route, and that's an additional $200, and several month wait. Also, if you and your wife want to both be able to use it without the other one present, you'll have to do an "NFA trust" with both of you on the trust, and that's an additional expense.

Just because the PSA stuff is inexpensive doesn't mean it's not good. My friends and I weren't willing to pay CMMG or Wilson prices for a range toy, so several of us got PSA AR9s. None us have had any problems, using a variety of ammo and magazines. We've used Glock and Magpul mags, and a wide variety of ammo from 115gr and 124gr FMJ (both round nose and flat nose), to with 124gr Speer GDHP and 147gr Hydra-Shok HP.

I had heard that most AR9s had trouble with flat nose and HP rounds, but we haven't had any jams in ours over several hundreds of rounds of shooting in each of the guns.
    Let me ask you a question about all this...

So I have a suppressed 9mm AR now with a Colt-style lower and an upper that is for all practical purposes integrally suppressed. This keeps me from using this gun for PCC due to the rule against silencers (which I totally get, by the way). if the gun runs fine now, would you expect that the PSA upper you link to would drop right onto my current lower and run *ok*?

And it looks like for $250 you get the complete upper, including bolt? So outside of optic it would be everything I'd need? Maybe at most add the buffer and spring you suggest? (the parts in mine now are a buffer and spring from a factory Colt 9mm AR I had)?

ETA:
    I see this in the listing for the upper
    "To be used with Palmetto State Armory 9mm lowers that use Glock®-style magazines."

which has me concerned re: dropping it onto my Colt-pattern lower...

ETA2:
    maybe since what I have is an SBR anyway, I should just go this route. Says
    "To be used with Palmetto State Armory 9mm lowers that use either Colt® or Glock®-style magazines."
    Last edited by rob_s; 08-15-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Let me ask you a question about all this...

So I have a suppressed 9mm AR now with a Colt-style lower and an upper that is for all practical purposes integrally suppressed. This keeps me from using this gun for PCC due to the rule against silencers (which I totally get, by the way). if the gun runs fine now, would you expect that the PSA upper you link to would drop right onto my current lower and run *ok*?

And it looks like for $250 you get the complete upper, including bolt? So outside of optic it would be everything I'd need? Maybe at most add the buffer and spring you suggest? (the parts in mine now are a buffer and spring from a factory Colt 9mm AR I had)?

ETA:
    I see this in the listing for the upper
    "To be used with Palmetto State Armory 9mm lowers that use Glock®-style magazines."

which has me concerned re: dropping it onto my Colt-pattern lower...
    That’s the crapshoot with AR-9’s. It’s hard to know until you assemble and test.

I’ve done pretty well with most of my parts. Exceptions were a PSA lower that never worked right with anything and the (lack of) internal / external feed ramps / short chambering of some barrels.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Says "To be used with Palmetto State Armory 9mm lowers that use either Colt® or Glock®-style magazines."
    It is my understanding (not experience) that there is a newer unique cut in the bottom of the bolt to clear the Glock magazine. IOW you have to accommodate the Glock but the Colt is a given. Double check all this, it is just my hunch.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I was surprised mine didn't come with one, and you can use a stack of quarters as an expedient. I do need to buy that spacer someday, funny how stuff that is working makes you forget...
    Oh yeah, the stack of quarters works too, I forgot about that.
    Thanks for that tip, I will probably try that when I get around to getting the spacer.
    No problem, but the longer buffer negates the need for the spacer. So if you do the buffer and spring, you won't need the spacer. I tried the longer buffer in mine with the standard AR buffer spring, but didn't try the AR10 flat wire spring with the stock buffer, so I don't know which item has more impact on cycling. I just know my friends and I like the way our guns work with both items installed.

User Tag List