Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Your Off Duty Carry

I always carry, until recently a PM9 in an AIWB with two 7rd mags, one in a Leatherman pouch and one in a plain black nylon pouch. I hike everyday and the wife and I recently stumbled across a gun-involved drug rip off on a secluded road in a park while hiking. We found ourselves separated and had to think fast. With 5 total turds involved on both sides, and her between the two groups, it may have been hard to protect her while getting us out of there. Thankfully, I didn't have to draw and no one involved in the rip off was seriously hurt.

Long story short, I've reassessed my carry choices. I'm carrying my G17.3 until I can qualify with my new to me P320SC this week. The PM9 is now almost exclusively my on duty BUG.

What hasn't changed for on body carry is a Benchmade folder, spare mag, Streamlight PT 1L-1AA w/spare battery, TQ & gloves, badge and spare contacts, Gerber mini tool, and resqme tool. In my car I have a marked outer vest w/IFAK, spare light, cuffs and spare mag, and a go bag with more trauma and booboo gear, water, food bars, eye & ear protection, rope, lighter, headlight, cut resistant and latex gloves, and poncho. I've used the go bag contents so many times both on and off duty I can't imagine traveling without it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    I always carry, until recently a PM9 in an AIWB with two 7rd mags, one in a Leatherman pouch and one in a plain black nylon pouch. I hike everyday and the wife and I recently stumbled across a gun-involved drug rip off on a secluded road in a park while hiking. We found ourselves separated and had to think fast. With 5 total turds involved on both sides, and her between the two groups, it may have been hard to protect her while getting us out of there. Thankfully, I didn't have to draw and no one involved in the rip off was seriously hurt.

Long story short, I've reassessed my carry choices. I'm carrying my G17.3 until I can qualify with my new to me P320SC this week. The PM9 is now almost exclusively my on duty BUG.

What hasn't changed for on body carry is a Benchmade folder, spare mag, Streamlight PT 1L-1AA w/spare battery, TQ & gloves, badge and spare contacts, Gerber mini tool, and resqme tool. In my car I have a marked outer vest w/IFAK, spare light, cuffs and spare mag, and a go bag with more trauma and booboo gear, water, food bars, eye & ear protection, rope, lighter, headlight, cut resistant and latex gloves, and poncho. I've used the go bag contents so many times both on and off duty I can't imagine traveling without it.

Sheepdog, great post with real life lessons. I'm taking notes and continue to be amazed how much I've learned in the past several years while mostly lurking here. We're never too old to learn - just consider me. I started here when I was in my 60's, recently became 70 and feel like a rookie. Thanks to all who have been my online mentors. I'm forever indebted.

Just picked up a PPS M1 as the 'in-between' for the 642 and G23. Have a Beretta Nano for that currently but it really only likes one particular JHP load. Won't be sorry to see it go and I'm looking forward to learning the odd looking little PPS.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Until a few months ago, it was my issued gun, a Sig P226R in .40, in either a Raven Phantom or Blade-Tec IWB, with one of two spare magazines in a CCC single mag pouch. That just got heavier every day, though, so a few months ago I switched to a CZ P-07 in a JMCK AIWB Holster, with a spare mag in one of his AIWB mag pouches. Benchmade Griptilian in the strong side pocket, and a Fenix 1L in the off side pocket. This'll will probably carry me into retirement. Also occasionally carry my BUG off duty ...Shield 1.0 9mm in a Blade-Tec Klipt, with spare mag in off side pants pocket.

Up until a few months ago a SIG P228 or P229 in a CompTac Infidel IWB, spare mag in one of their pouches, and a Spyderco Delica. More recently a fullsize P320 slide on an X-Carry frame in a DavTach (local Kydex shop) IWB. I just added a Streamlight TLR-7 to it.

Quote Originally Posted by TxShooter View Post
    Up until a few months ago a SIG P228 or P229 in a CompTac Infidel IWB, spare mag in one of their pouches, and a Spyderco Delica. More recently a fullsize P320 slide on an X-Carry frame in a DavTach (local Kydex shop) IWB. I just added a Streamlight TLR-7 to it.
    Didn’t think you would ever give up your classic SIGs....

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Didn’t think you would ever give up your classic SIGs....
    Supplemented, not replaced. I still have my P226R at work most days.
    Last edited by TxShooter; 10-16-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Glock on and off for the last 24 years. Mostly Gen 2 G19s. Skipped over Gen 3 to Gen 4. Found I liked the smaller grip better. I took a rasp to the finger grooves and up under the trigger guard.
    I also polish the muzzle until it's silver. Ayoob mentioned that trick and I've had several Utes comment that it drew their attention.
    Sometimes, you need to grab a young lad's attention.

Qualified with: Either my duty Gen 4 Glock 17 in an appendix holster (T Rex Arms sidecar) or my BUG Walter PPS M2 in an appendix rig.

If I'm just operating on my license and not carrying my credentials, I carry my Langdon PX4 compact carry. Next quals I'll shoot it and add it to my approved list.

Depends on the season, the weather and the activity. My dept. has a very short list of what they approve if carrying strictly on credentials. Having a HCL opens up the possibilities. Now, in the spring, summer and fall, it's usually a Walther PPQ M2 9mm with one extra mag, small flashlight, Swiss Army knife, small lockblade and a larger lockblade. In the winter, substitute the Ruger SR1911 Nightwatchman Commander in .45 with two extra mags in place of the PPQ. The rest stays the same. There are times when other firearms will be used but those are my two most common edc firearms. Been edging towards getting the .40 cal version of the PPQ and just using that in the winter. I'll probably do that pretty soon.

User Tag List