Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Off Duty Carry

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Detective Ludlow knew his guns!
    As did detective Mackey and Officer Alonzo. Buddy of mine still says the 4506 was probably the best pistol S&W ever produced (and one of his favorite duty guns before it was disapproved)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 4506 is a pretty freaking amazing gun.

If today's generation of gun savvy cops ever really discovers them, they are going to get even more expensive, and clean examples will be even more scarce, not to mention the mags.

I had a 4566 years ago that I foolishly traded away. It was a really nice gun. I've never come around to carrying cuffs off duty. I don't when I'd ever use them. I can't think of anything important enough to jump into that I would need cuffs for.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The 4506 is a pretty freaking amazing gun.

If today's generation of gun savvy cops ever really discovers them, they are going to get even more expensive, and clean examples will be even more scarce, not to mention the mags.
    I kick myself in the sack every couple days for selling my HIPD 4506 with 8 mags for $500

M&P 2.0 Compact w/WML, spare mag, & a one cell handheld light.

Site Supporter
    A 4566 decocker only would be neat to have.

Could you convert a safety/decocker to decocker only ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    How do you like the light? I have an XT1C and find it OK, except I don't like not having momentary on function from the E-switch.
    I like it a lot. I like that the default mode with the big button is high output and in order to get low output you have to hit the smaller button afterwards. If I ever need the light for a defensive encounter I want all the lumens by default. I’m not too enamored with the strobe and have never used it for anything. I use the lowest power mode all the time because I think it’s the perfect level of brightness to look for things under my car seat or in the corner of the basement. Momentary on requires a partial press of the main button which I don’t mind. I have the version from five years ago with the 400-500 lumen high output and 15 lumen low. My girlfriend bought one a couple of years ago and it’s more powerful. I like the 1100 lumen high output but find that the low and medium output modes are much brighter than I’d like. The latest version that’s USB rechargeable is more complicated than I’d like. The turbo mode of 1600 lumens sounds awesome but it’s also got 5 other modes and needs to be programmed.

I have found that the light periodically turns on in my pocket. I start to notice when it gets really hot. Like all 18650 lights it definitely needs high quality batteries. I’ve been using Keeppower rechargeable batteries.

My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

S&W Shield 9, JMCK AIWB
    Reload in a JMCK AIWB pouch
    Spyderco PM2
    Streamlight ProTac1
    S&W cuffs in a BFG pouch
    Sabre Red
    ....need to add a TQ

At the time I retired in January 2018, I was qual’ed with a pair of G19 pistols, and a pair of Les Baer full-sized, all-steel 1911 pistols. Depending upon weather and clothing factors, I could be carrying either G19 or 1911, as “primary,” during personal time. I would carry a G19, as a second gun, some of the time, situationally.

During most of my nearly 34 years of LEO-ing, I have tended to carry my duty pistol, or its near-duplicate, during personal time.

I have always carried at least a second magazine, when carrying an auto-pistol.

I have carried the same knife, daily, since 2004, a Tarani Masters Model Karambit folder. This one is not just a knife, but a control hook, if one has had the training to understand it. It is not only a weapon; I have used the hooked blade to help me reach out and grab inanimate objects.

I have tended to carry another, more conventional small knife in addition to the karambit, for utilitarian purposes, such as an SAK.

Light is important, to LEO and non-LEO. I have tended to favor Surefire, for many years. My favored Surefire, for several years, has been the LX2.

Since going “off duty” for keeps, in late January, I have largely reverted to carrying revolvers. The knife and light have not changed.
    Last edited by Rex G; 08-11-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Site Supporter
    I was limited to only what I qualified with. Issue was a colt gov 1911; back up was a colt LW commander. Off duty was a Glock 19 and a S&W 642. It covered all my bases and wardrobe choices

User Tag List