Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Off Duty Carry

Same thing I carry on-duty: Glock 19.5, spare mags, and a light.

Occasionally I’ll carry a G43 and a spare mag while I’m off.

Site Supporter
    We can qualify with a pistol or revolver in .380, .38, 9mm, 357, .357SIG, or .45. Anything that passes armorer review is good except the dreaded single action only pistols. I have been tempted to point out that some striker-fired pistols are arguably single action only, but I was friends with the firearms training coordinator who implemented the policy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Klarus XT2C light
    How do you like the light? I have an XT1C and find it OK, except I don't like not having momentary on function from the E-switch.

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    I have been tempted to point out that some striker-fired pistols are arguably single action only, but I was friends with the firearms training coordinator who implemented the policy.
    I agree. More or less they are.

Off duty? Same thing I have for the past ten years...J-frame on my ankle or in my pocket with a speed strip and a Swiss Army knife.

I realized early on that if I said I would "only" carry a larger gun that I would give myself an excuse to not carry at all. Carrying a J-frame has become a part of me.

Very rarely I'll carry my duty gun off duty as well. Been thinking about trying to switch from the J to a Shield, but I'm just too damned comfortable with the J.
    Last edited by KevH; 08-10-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Cereal View Post
    23.3 loaded with 165HST, Jetbeam SF-AA01 and a Delica 4.

Is anyone constrained by policy when making your off duty choice(s)? I'm lucky. I'm not constrained and am able to qualify with my off-duty piece and have my scores recorded.
    We can only have two handguns authorized from our approved list of duty weapons. The two can be any combination of GOV issued or personally owned from the approved list. Right now I have a POW duty gun, a Gen 4 G17, stock except for HD sights and a S&W M&P 340 BUG. Off duty carry on credentials must be with one of the two authorized guns younare currently qualified on. We qualify quarterly.

The G17 is my primary carry on and off duty. The 340 sees off duty use as a pocket gun around the house, doing yard work, walking the dogs etc.

Benchmade folder and Surefire Tactician flashlight round out the off duty carry.

If we want to carry something else off duty we must do so on a CHL.
    Last edited by HCM; 08-10-2018 at 09:20 PM.

642 in the pocket or a G23 Gen2 in a JMCK OWB and whichever blade catches my fancy that day.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

M&P9 2.0C typically with one, occasionally two spare mags, J frame in a pocket. Off and, a TDI knife, need a better sheath.

Today it was a 4506, a spare mag and my old Emerson folder. Purely Because.

Yesterday it was a 4563 TSW and my old Emerson Purely Because.

Tomorrow I will probably go back to the practical plastic.

Today I was fiddle fingering my 4506 and I have to say that it is one of those rare guns that is "just right". The trigger itself is polished smooth, the sights are nice, the action is decent, it is easy to shoot well, and it is very accurate, the narrow checkered grips allow a solid, firm grip. I actually even enjoy the traditional DA/SA action on it for threat management reasons. It is just a cool gun.

Detective Ludlow knew his guns!

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Not much different then on duty, 17M, one spare magazine, a knife with a window punch. I did carry a TQ and cuffs on my ankle, but my ankle carry thing is totally worn out and I've not gotten around to replacing it. Now I just carry the cuffs with the spare mag. I need to get the TQ back on board, more important than the spare mag statistically.

If I'm going to jog or something, LCR + speed strip + knife.

I don't carry a small flashlight any longer unless I intend to be out after dark or am going to a large mostly windowless building (ie, a mall). I learned that I can use my cell phone as a flashlight. My Samsung has a little button you push and the camera flash turns on pretty bright.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List