Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Your Off Duty Carry

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    I always carry, until recently a PM9 in an AIWB with two 7rd mags, one in a Leatherman pouch and one in a plain black nylon pouch. I hike everyday and the wife and I recently stumbled across a gun-involved drug rip off on a secluded road in a park while hiking. We found ourselves separated and had to think fast. With 5 total turds involved on both sides, and her between the two groups, it may have been hard to protect her while getting us out of there. Thankfully, I didn't have to draw and no one involved in the rip off was seriously hurt.

Long story short, I've reassessed my carry choices. I'm carrying my G17.3 until I can qualify with my new to me P320SC this week. The PM9 is now almost exclusively my on duty BUG.

What hasn't changed for on body carry is a Benchmade folder, spare mag, Streamlight PT 1L-1AA w/spare battery, TQ & gloves, badge and spare contacts, Gerber mini tool, and resqme tool. In my car I have a marked outer vest w/IFAK, spare light, cuffs and spare mag, and a go bag with more trauma and booboo gear, water, food bars, eye & ear protection, rope, lighter, headlight, cut resistant and latex gloves, and poncho. I've used the go bag contents so many times both on and off duty I can't imagine traveling without it.
    I got my municipal LEO brother a PM9 as a back-up before I knew about Kahr's "if you get a good one it's great, if you get a bad one it's terrible" rep. It has given me an overall positive view of the brand. That gun has not missed a step. Our first day out with it he was ringing steel at 100 yards with most of the rounds in a particular magazine (he's a much better shooter than me who ironically is not a gun guy at all).

I am leery to try any of their cheaper C-series or T-series offerings so as not to tarnish that great image I have of them currently from the PM gun.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Wife and I have His & Hers PM9s. I carried hers for years before buying the second one. We've had 6 over the past 20 years, and only problems with one. I've gone thru almost a dozen other micro 9s and still haven't found anything better given the size and weight.
    And no, I wouldn't try the C series either. I've seen to many problems with them. Don't have any personal experience with the T guns.
    Last edited by iWander; 10-24-2018 at 08:31 AM.

Currently rocking a Walther PPS M1 in a Keepers Errand while doing yard work.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    Currently rocking a Walther PPS M1 in a Keepers Errand while doing yard work.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    I carry my PPS while doing work around the house as well. It's small enough to easily carry, but large enough to shoot well.

Well, I'm retired so all my carry is off duty. I carry a Glock 27 in a Blade Tech "Clipit" AIWB, with a Glk 23 magazine reload carried in a horizontal mag pouch. (Made by a friend) I also carry a Streamlight "Micro Stream" and a Kershaw "Brawler". I have utmost confidence in my gear.
    Gandalf

Site Supporter
    I started in 1981. For years my off duty gun was a Smith & Wesson Chief's Special. 3 inch. Originally an M36 with the tapered barrel, and that was replaced/supplemented with an M60 with the 3 inch heavy barrel. Always carried at least one reload in a Bianchi speed strip in a pouch on my belt.

Then I went to a department that issued the duty handgun. For years it was a Sig 226 in 9mm and then a Sig 226R-DAK in .40 cal, and my back up and primary off duty gun was a Sig P230.

That Department switched to Glock 22s in 2013, and now my back up gun is a G42 and my primary off duty gun is a G43. I always carry at least one reload.

I should get in the habit of carrying a good light more often than I do. God knows, I have lots of neat SureFire products I have accumulated over the years that I could choose from.

I'm retired now and work two different departments part time and for off duty or backup guns, you have to qual once a year and you have the option of shooting the duty gun QC (as required by the DOJ -- the course is revolver neutral for a 5 shot gun) or a 30 round short course based on the DOJ qual. I shoot both if time and circumstance permits, but usually only have time to shoot the 30 round off duty gun QC.

Last spring I shot the S&W 60 on the state required QC for the first time. Only dropped a couple of hits. I really like 3 inch J frames.

Retired guys who are carrying on retired credentials have to shoot the whole 44 round QC. Most of them just got CCW permits instead and left it at that.

I found it was easier to just keep working three days a week . . . .

Glock 27 with an extra mag or a FNX40 with a couple of mags if I'm wanting a little more pop.

Site Supporter
    Ill play

SW 642 w/ CT lasergrips, IWB amd 2 speed strips
    Or
    G26 w/ reload IWB

Streamlight 500 lumen handheld

Always - CAT TQ

Leatherman Sidekick w/ pocket clip

SAK

Credentials

Currently it's a 19M, with a TLR-7, in a JM Custom Kydex IWB3. I carry a spare mag that has a 5rd Taran Tactical extension, in an old style Comp-Tac mag holder. Behind the spare mag is a Streamlight Pro-Tac 1L, and my knife is a Kershaw Blur (great knife, but I wish they made a smaller version). I also have a couple Tuff-Ties in a pocket.

Retired in 03, qualified with my old office last year at the invitation of the Sheriff. Shot 95% with the Kahr CW9. The Kahr has functioned flawlessly since its second round, when new. No problems with CW9 in the 2,500-3,000 rds later.

Picked up my second Kimber K6s recently because this one has night sights and better grips than the first. Kahr now serving backup duties

Last edited by Zeke38; 12-20-2018 at 09:36 PM.

User Tag List