Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Countering Targeted Vehicle Theft.

Countering Targeted Vehicle Theft.

Auto theft LE- any practical tips to avoid being hit by professional vehicle theft crews?

Background is where I live now it’s isolated enough to not be a concern, however I may be moving to the “big city” for work. Im keen on keeping my Camaro Z28 in my garage and out of a shipping crate bound for Columbia.

Do the pros case their intended cars, visit shows, befriend targets at Cars and Coffee meets, etc? My car isn’t especially valuable , but I can see it being on some South American Caballero’s shopping list.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

What year?

There isn't any specific reason to worried about a Camaro being targeted by thieves. If it happens it sucks, but they are not high theft vehicle on a per unit basis.

-Back into parking spots, cut your wheel, set the parking brake. Greatly reduce tow off theft.
    -Don't leave your car running and unattended.
    -Don't leave your keys laying around.
    -If sex with strangers is your things, don't let her/him borrow the car to "run to the store real quick"

Otherwise there's nothing to be overly worried about.

20 years later 1 out of 50 Honda Civics produced in 1998 are still getting stolen, about 6,000 a year. About 1,200 Camaros get stolen a year and that encompasses all model years.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    What year?

There isn't any specific reason to worried about a Camaro being targeted by thieves. If it happens it sucks, but they are not high theft vehicle on a per unit basis.

-Back into parking spots, cut your wheel, set the parking brake. Greatly reduce tow off theft.
    -If sex with strangers is your things, don't let her/him borrow the car to "run to the store real quick"

20 years later 1 out of 50 Honda Civics produced in 1998 are still getting stolen, about 6,000 a year. About 1,200 Camaros get stolen a year and that encompasses all model years.
    Hey, I've got one of those with 200k on it. Sitting in front of my house. Faded paint and peeling headliner. Fully insured.

Come on, somebody. Hit it, or something!
    Last edited by Duelist; 12-28-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Im keen on keeping my Camaro Z28 in my garage and out of a shipping crate bound for Columbia.
    Me gusta Camaros! Que año es su carro?

Txdpd is right. The only American brand vehicles on the top ten list for the last several years are pickups and Dodge Caravans. Camaro production is equal to or greater than Accord production, yet Accords have topped the theft list basically forever.

You've got a car with all the theft appeal of a Saturn wagon.
    Last edited by Hambo; 12-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    What year?

Thanks!
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

A '98 Civic is basically rolling probable cause.

Site Supporter
    We ran a 1984 Civic into about 2005. It even made it cross country a couple of times. Great little car. Never stolen.

I found this interesting device to prevent theft.
    It is a deadbolt for your car doors. The bolt does
    not have a long throw but it makes it very difficult
    to get into the car. I really wanted to add it to my
    trunk but was unable to get it installed.

The Auto Bolt
    http://theautobolt.com/
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Countering Targeted Vehicle Theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    We ran a 1984 Civic into about 2005. It even made it cross country a couple of times. Great little car. Never stolen.
    I put 98k on my ‘85 Civic. Loved that car.

On topic: DIL had her new Honda Minivan stolen out of her driveway in Coral Gables two weeks ago.

Cops indicated it was likely a pro crew, stealing it to order for a mobile ‘party’ that weekend.

It was recovered amazingly, but trashed. They said even after cleaning it might not be a bad idea to sell it; apparently there was so much ‘party’ residue, it would still trigger a drug sniffing dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RJ; 12-28-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Site Supporter
    Off topic - ran another Civic for 250K. Gave it to the Salvation Army as a donation. It was starting to have the monthly senile breakdowns. Once coming home from a match, it blew a hose. Called the tow truck. The driver is giving me a lift and asks what I do. Said I was a psychologist and he said he sees one as he has anger issues and can't talk for more than 10 minutes without losing it. Really, I sez - I say tell me more about it. Kept doing that till I got home. Sitting there with the Glock 19 on my hip, wondering if this will end badly. But my mild Rogerian skills worked out.

User Tag List