Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: RFI: Cold weather, soft shell style jacket+layering system?

My responses are inside the quoted post, but in bold text.
    Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    I don't exactly have a huge pile of gear from either brand, but from what I've understood I think you might be exaggerating the quality of Jack Wolfskin a bit?

I don't know, never seen their kit. As I said: it's something I think I read somewhere.

If you have the money for it, wool makes a superior base layer material than synthetic fibers. It can get bloody expensive though.

For what the OP is doing, yes. For what I was doing in SE Alaska (and other cold, wet places), no. I could write a whole detailed post with pics, but I don't want to detract from the thread topic.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    I know it seems really cheesy, but I got something like this jacket from Scottevest (https://www.scottevest.com/shop/mens...cket-men.shtml) a few years ago when I was traveling to England and Wales in late fall. I love it. The pockets are awesome and it does a great job of allowing you to carry a ton of stuff conveniently. I find I can generally leave the backpack behind if I'm wearing this jacket because the pockets are well set up and it distributes weight very well. This jacket, with a decent fleece underneath, is plenty warm enough at all times and without a fleece is fine when it isn't too chilly. It blocks the wind and it's water proof/resistant enough to be comfortable in most wet conditions. I'm not thrilled with the hood (I like one where the drawstring for making the hood smaller pulls from the back rather than one where the drawstring runs around the front opening of the hood and pulls it in close to your face) but that's my only complaint and it's minor. I like the fact that the hood stows nicely when it's not needed. It's a great travel jacket and I've used it a lot since I bought it, both at home and abroad. It's also decent looking and pretty low key. I imagine something like a down sweater, as was recommended, or a packable down jacket would also be good under a jacket like this instead of a fleece. For gloves, in the temperatures you're likely to see, I like ones that are relatively light weight and allow you to use a smart phone. They seem just right to me.

Regatta (mentioned above) does also make nice stuff, if you're wanting to buy something more UK specific. I bought one of their jackets during a trip to Scotland after I realized that Summer on Islay is just about as warm as Summer in San Francisco.

Guys,

Expanding upon my original question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproof socks and or goretex boots? Ive always been a fan of Danners but lately, most of their offerings are extremely heavyweight. As I get older ive fallen more in love with light weight footwear for most of my needs, including duty boots at work.

Site Supporter
    To loop back, if you want a lighter weight Goretex boot v. a Danner, I would look very hard at Salomon.

https://lapolicegear.com/brands/salomon.html

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    To loop back, if you want a lighter weight Goretex boot v. a Danner, I would look very hard at Salomon.

https://lapolicegear.com/brands/salomon.html
    I love Salomons...unfortunately, my feet dont.

Ive found that every pair of Salomons that ive had, feature a very high arch as well as a SUPER narrow toebox.

I went ahead and bought some of their newer 2018 models featuring a "wider" toebox and I was still crippling myself. I really wish they would offer these in wide sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Guys,

Expanding upon my original question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for waterproof socks and or goretex boots? Ive always been a fan of Danners but lately, most of their offerings are extremely heavyweight. As I get older ive fallen more in love with light weight footwear for most of my needs, including duty boots at work.
    Merrill MOAB GTX. I wear the mid's in winter and I just got a pair of the low's for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    Guys, Expanding upon my original question.

Wearing and recommending the Keen Targhee EXP, available in both lows and mids. I sock them with whatever Darn Tough or Keen sock the weather calls for. Excellent durability and comfort on and off pavement. Link: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-TAR...P_size=7&cgid=
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    If a wide toe box is called for, the first stop is Keen. Consider New Balance as well.

I'm on my second pair of Keen Targhees. They've held up well and are pretty comfortable.

User Tag List