Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cold weather, soft shell style jacket+layering system?

My fiancé lives in Dublin, and I spent 2 weeks in June/July traveling through Ireland, London, Paris, and Edinburgh. Honestly, unless you go in uniform, you’re probably not going to scream “cop.” I saw so much FDE and MOLLE on so many obviously non-LE/Mil/gun-toters, culminating with a junior high girl toting a Maxpedition pack on the ferry from Caen to Portsmouth. Personally, I’ve been really happy with North Face stuff for affordable quality gray man but still useful stuff.

Expect temperatures in the mid-40s to mid-60s, and intermediate soft rain, but rapidly changing weather conditions. I like a water-resistant outer layer, and sweaters/sweatshirt underneath if needed (I’m from AZ, so I totally get no cold tolerance). A light jacket should be good...you don’t need heavy-duty stuff, and you won’t get into really cold temperatures.

Go to Galway. One of the coolest towns on this planet. The Quays does an amazing Guinness beef stew. The Churchill War Rooms in London is a can’t miss. If you can pry open the display case with Winston’s Webley, I fall dibs. Let me know if you want other tips for Dublin or London.

Good stuff guys.

Keep the suggestions coming. Im perusing the links you guys have posted thus far. Everything is within budget so that's awesome.

As far as the cop thing goes, ive got it pretty bad or so my friends and...strangers tell me lol. :P

Im also looking for a suggestion for waterproof socks as all of my goretex boots are black and leather. I really don't want to break in a pair of new boots prior to going as my schedule wont allow it.

I appreciate the feedback guys, ive never traveled internationally so I have ZERO frame of reference as to what to expect. To me, other countries are about as alien as can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Magsz View Post
    As far as the cop thing goes, ive got it pretty bad or so my friends and...strangers tell me lol. :P

I appreciate the feedback guys, ive never traveled internationally so I have ZERO frame of reference as to what to expect. To me, other countries are about as alien as can be.
    Why all the concern about being perceived as an American cop, especially if you are one?

For an alternative to REI, check out the L.L. Bean Merino Hoodie. It's a bit pricey, but should last for years. I wear it as layering under various coats and jackets in fall and winter, but
    as a stand alone layer over a t-shirt or polo through April/May in New England. Light, breathable but pretty warm if needed. I'd wear it alone in light drizzle as it will still hold the heat and it dries
    quickly.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/5065...FZqayAod6eUKLA

I think there was another thread on here that really emphasized the gray man angle. That dude in the Realtree baseball cap with the Oakleys perched on top? Yeah, 99.99% he's an American. I'd skip the velcro'ed flag and MAGA patches, but I wouldn't be worried about being made by "technical" clothing too much anywhere in Western Europe, and particularly not in the rainy UK (as mentioned above, North Face stuff is almost universal in developed countries these days--take a look at all of the language labels sewn into them for the markets they sell to). By definition, you're going to be in touristy places doing touristy stuff, and likely needing maps and guidebooks to do it. You're a tourist in a bunch of other tourists, you just don't want to be the easy pickings in the herd for the financially motivated predators looking for lunch that are your primary threat, or flashing cash or expensive cameras, etc that make you a higher priority. UK is much less of a problem than some other countries, but get smart on local threats (in much of Europe, highly aggressive pickpockets--frequently operating in groups--are a big issue in touristy areas and on public transportation) and be aware enough of your environment to avoid getting into the "roll 'em up!"/GTFO areas of town by accident. Your appearance/accent may also be the pretext for someone (frequently alcohol fueled) looking to start some shit...just like here. The vast majority of people you are going to meet will be somewhere on the continuum of indifferent to polite/friendly.

One real gear consideration in the UK is knife laws--if you habitually roll with a pocket clipped locking blade here in the US, you need to get smart on that. Leave it at home.

UK is a great first step into international travel...please do be aware of the right hand driving, though--it's a real issue as a pedestrian, too. Last suggestion: my wife and I have found the Rick Steves travel books an easy to digest Cliffs Notes for travel in Europe. Worth a look.

Good suggestions here on layering. I'd suggest putting your money on the outer rain layer, and looking for something lightweight that will have utility for you back at home...you can add a fleece or other layers as needed. This site is an excellent (but highly dangerous to your wallet!) resource--see rain jackets here:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...st-rain-jacket

Factor your real needs into what you buy...a lot of the high end technical gear (and reviews of it) is aimed at climbers who prefer higher hand pockets to clear climbing harnesses and huge hoods to fit over helmets. For general use, lower hand pockets and a chest/Napoleon pocket are very handy. I'd also be looking for venting pit zips. No experience with it, but if I was in the market right now this one looks like a good candidate:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revie...h-face-dryzzle

Have a great trip!

Site Supporter
    Plus 100 on the gray man. On the group trip to Germany I stayed away from the guy with with the camouflage Cabela’s baseball cap , jeans , and white sneakers. I bought a hat in Germany to blend in and dressed business casual. My fosters coin sap was kept handy. I just realized that except for the fancy travel underwear, merino wool T-shirt , sweater and socks. I have been dressing for cold wet weather the same for the last thirty years. I have a few north face jackets but I never did buy any of the fancy technical parkas. I just never needed that level of performance. ( but oh how I lusted for a northface mountain jacket back in the early 90s) if you get cold easy I would add a stuffable down jacket. I usually take one but I can’t remember the last time I used it. I just throw it in bag
    Last edited by Poconnor; 08-11-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Site Supporter
    I thought of something that I left out in my earlier post. This summer I saw a ton of people wearing Regatta products. I wasn't familiar with the brand, but apparently it is a very popular brand in the UK. You might want to look through their line of jackets and see if there's anything you like. To me the products look a lot like what we wear here, but the branding is not American.

Site Supporter
    Late to the party. For jackets, I have become enamored with a polartec fabric called neoshell. It is waterproof enough for your application and much more breathable than Goretex thereby avoiding the sweating in a plastic bag feeling.
    The "hand" of the fabric is more soft shell like. Sierra Trading Post has a Rab brand jacket in neoshell on sale at 149 shipped. FWIW, Rab is a quite popular brand sold in Europe.

Re shoes: Salomon, Salewa, Merrell and Keen all have Goretex etc waterproof shoes that are essentially zero break in.
    Ecco sells both dress and causual boots w goretex as well.

@Magsz, I was in the same boat last year. Had to leave FL for the first time in years for a funeral in the Midwest. I bought something like this at Basspro.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...jacket-for-men

I wore it solo or over a very light running fleece and it was warmer than expected, but not so warm I couldn't wear it when it gets below 65F here. It's somewhat rain resistance, meaning it won't work in a FL downpour, but in northern rain/drizzle it was fine.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List