Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Cold weather, soft shell style jacket+layering system?

RFI: Cold weather, soft shell style jacket+layering system?

Heya fella's, polling the hive mind for some feedback.

I will readily admit that im a Florida boy now and have been for the past, jeeze, seventeen years? Ive lost count.

At any rate, I deal with rain, I haven't dealt with the cold by choice in almost 90% of those seventeen years.

Fast forward to this upcoming September and the girl and I will be going to Ireland and England on vacation. I have absolutely no clue what the climate is like other than the fact that my reading tells me its cold and wet.

So, im looking for a soft shell jacket that doesn't scream "THAT GUY IS AN AMERICAN COP!"

Id love something that is waterproof, can possibly be layered so that I can still use the jacket here in Florida when I come home but is not so warm as to be sitting in my closet for the next seventeen years.

I dont really have a budget per say but id rather not spend a grand on an Arcterxy jacket if it can be avoided.

Thanks in advance fellas!

Site Supporter
    Start with a light to medium fleece pullover:

https://www.rei.com/product/127301/r...er-hoodie-mens - this might be a little light

Layer over that with an insulated jacket:

https://www.rei.com/product/102404/p...ff-jacket-mens - my first choice would be synthetic but down would be fine, you can find them with hoods as well, 1/4 zip or full zip. A vest of similar style could add warm or be less to carry.

Layer over the jacket with a lightweight rain jacket:

https://www.rei.com/product/894312/p...ow-jacket-mens

I would have a smartwool beanie and some wool gloves in the pocket of the insulated jacket. This would keep me warm for active work/hiking into the 30's. I would bump up the weights/insulation for more sitting around/colder temps. I like patagucci but OR or REI would work fine as well. For traveling I'd keep these items around 12 oz each, definitely under 16oz.

I would highly recommend carry on only travel, one bag travel. Not too hard to do if thoughtful.

Worst case, have some money to buy an additional, cheap stuff while you are there to keep you comfortable.

Go to REI.

A solid color hard shell (goretex) combined with a medium weight fleece should do the trick. Solid colors work well in Europe. Go navy or gray, but even bright blue or dark red blends in well. Not cold enough for down or other puffy jackets in my opinion, but I live in the north.

My current shell is OR, fleece is Patagonia Regulator R1 or R2 depending on the temperature (fits me well).

Of course Arcteryx rocks...
    Last edited by Norville; 08-10-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Contrary to what REI, Crye, and Arcteryx would have you believe, the vast majority of the world does not wear technical apparel regularly. Any kind of technical softshell jacket will scream, "American!" outside of London (and even there...).

If you want to blend in, a wool sweater and a wool peacoat both in black or charcoal grey. Even then, your jeans and/or shoes, jewelry, backpack, etc. Will all scream "American!" no matter how hard you try. Cuts, styles, and types of clothing are markedly different between here and there. Most folks there dress regularly in what we would consider "business" wear and "business casual" is basically "casual" there.
    ___

Back to the question - I haven't found a "system" that works better than any other. Depending on temps, short or long-sleeve t-shirts (Royal Apparel), with a fleece vest (REI/Patagonia/etc), and a Mammut softshell. Although, last winter, I became pretty partial to a t-shirt, LL Bean wool sweater, and an M65 field jacket with/without liner depending on temps.

Site Supporter
    My wife and I went to Scotland and the Shetland Islands in 2008. We were there in June/July, so no real cold weather. I bought a Marmot Gortex shell and a fleece that I could zip in as a liner. Total cost for both pieces was maybe $200, and it's probably the best $200 I've ever spent. I've worn that jacket every winter since I bought it, and it's been on three decently big international trips now. I don't worry too much with not looking like an American though.

Just looking over the Marmot line right now, and the Marmot Ramble Component Jacket for $230 looks pretty close to what I have. Looks like REI has some in PF orange for ~$161!

Not sure if this is what you’re looking for but Kuiu seems to have a good layering system. They’re clothing is mostly designed for mountain hunting but they have a decent amount of plain colored options as well.

Site Supporter
    My vacation travel kit is a cheap Rick Steve’s carry on bag with shoulder straps. I dress in layers. A thin zip up merino wool sweater, a north face thermoball jacket and an old Cabelas gortex hooded parka. A wool watch cap, scarf and two pairs of gloves and I’m set. Add A pair of gortex leather boots and darn tough wool socks and exofficio travel underwear and I only take three sets of clothes for ten days. I prefer merino wool over fleece because it will not smell. I wore this combo in Germany in 20 degrees and was comfortable.

Site Supporter
    Also, if you're looking for luggage, check out the Osprey Porter. I'd been eyeing these bags for a couple of years and bought one before our trip this summer. It was perfect for me. I got the 65L for a 12 day trip.

Almost every Euro visitor I see in Alaska is wearing technical mountaineering clothing. Not so much Arcteryx but a lot of Salewa, Mammut and other European brands.
    Last edited by GJM; 08-10-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spell better
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I live in swamp-ass Mold Coast heat and humidity, but often travel to other parts of the country for outdoor work in winter. I've done acceptably well with a Gore-Tex windbreaker shell and a "down sweater" under it for warmth, even in sub-freezing temps. The down sweater is super comfy and weighs almost nothing. I love it. If I was to layer under it, some silk long johns would do well.

For just casual everyday wear, in and out of buildings and cars, I'm good with a lined Dickies cotton twill jacket, jeans and a baseball cap down to about freezing.

A hat is critical to maintaining body heat.

That said, I'm descended from NATO, essentially, and grew up in cold enough weather that I don't mind if I can see my breath.

September isn't winter yet, and will likely just be a lot of moderately cold rain. So something waterproof and a moderately warm layer under it would probably serve well. Or just put aside a few hours to shop once you get there, and pick up some wool garments as recommended. A nice, thick wool shirt would be nice to have.

I don't know if they do umbrellas there. People in the Pacific Northwet of the U.S. generally don't, because although it rains much of the time, it isn't hard enough to make the hassle of umbrellas worth it. Climate is likely similar.

Don't overlook shoes. Their styles are different.

Even dressed as they are, the totality of your body language will set you apart for someone who's clued in. It's different.

It would be interesting to hear a report of a gun shop visit. Probably not worth a lot of time, though, as my understanding is that unless you have your police-issued "hall pass," you're not allowed to even touch ammunition over there. Free Ireland may be less stupid.

REI is operated by a bunch of anti-access, anti-hunting exclusionists. They oppose the majority of what I want to do outdoors, so I have no ethical problem with going to their stores to try on gear and then finding the best price I can online.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List