Thread: Sig Romeo and Mid Grade RDS

Site Supporter

Sig Romeo and Mid Grade RDS

Hey All,

So I've noticed a trend that as time goes on there seems to be an emerging middle tier of RDS.

I would put Aimpoint and Trijicon in the top tiers. Some may like EOTech's, but I would no longer consider them (your opinion may differ).

I was thinking about it the other day and as these Sig Romeo Line continues to expand to include T1/T2-esque RDS (https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sau...dj-aaa-m1.html) and RMR-esque RDS (https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sau...dot-sight.html) - what's been the experience of this forum?

I wouldn't put them in the same ballpark as Aimpoint (especially with Sig's quality control issues with the 320, MPX, and other stuff). But, I have to think an RDS is not as tough a nut to crack as it used to be.

What's the forums thoughts?

Personally, I have an H2 on an AR. If I wanted to outfit another AR with an RDS at some point - is it worth it?

I'm not in the market, but I am interested to see the improvements being made by Sig and Holosun (and I'm sure another vendor) making Micro Ruggedized Optics more affordable. Has anyone used these?

I'm really intrigued to see if an RDS ends up on the new service pistol widespread at some point and what brand that RDS is going to be. That kind of testing/scrutiny if these can stand up to it - I think the market may be getting really competitive. If I had to guess we'd see the new offering from Aimpoint, Trijicon's RMR, and something from Sig at the minimum.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: The M17 is cut to accept an RDS. It has to be coming at some point and I'd think soon.
    Last edited by BWT; 09-10-2018 at 05:01 PM.

I put a Romeo 5 on my CZ Skorpion Evo, and it's been fine for a "fun gun", even if it's not exactly been run hard, or run for all that long (just 3 months before I had to put it up for the winter).

I don't know how it would work as a "serious" work gun, but happily, I don't have to.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I put a Romeo 5 on my CZ Skorpion Evo, and it's been fine for a "fun gun", even if it's not exactly been run hard, or run for all that long (just 3 months before I had to put it up for the winter).

I don't know how it would work as a "serious" work gun, but happily, I don't have to.
    Also, I didn’t mean to limit the discussion to just Sig, but I do see them as a very credible example that fits this mold.

God Bless,

Brandon

I just bought a slug barrel 11-87 and got one of the Romeo5 units for it, I have not shot it yet but it looks like a hell of a unit for $120. IMO this opens up a whole bunch of things that I would never bother to put an Aimpoint on. Will probably get one of the Ruger American Ranch rifles to put under one next.

I was under the impression the FBI had approved one of the SIG RDSs, maybe the Romeo 4, for use on their rifles?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by ssb View Post
    I was under the impression the FBI had approved one of the SIG RDSs, maybe the Romeo 4, for use on their rifles?
    They approved the Romeo 4M, which is now discontinued.

The 4M was supposed to be “ruggedized” and was marked “designed in Oregon” “Assembled in USA.”

The 4Ms were made overseas to the spec of SIG’s Oregon based (mostly ex-Leupold) optics team and brought in as parts kits which were assembled in the U.S.

Speculation is the Romeos, or at least the parts are made by Holosun based on the similarities. They likely make the Primary Arms RDS as well though each (SIG, HOLOSUN and PA) sets their own specifications.

The Holosun “Military Model” seems very similar to the 4M.

There are distinct cost and quality differences among the SIG Romeo RDS. The Romeo 4 series MSRP ranges from $300 to $ 550. When it was availible new the 4M was in the $ 450-500 range which is used Aimpoint money.

The Romeo 4’s are 2x to 3x the cost of the Romeo 5. While I’ve been very happy with my two Romeo 5’s for the $130ish Street price and consider them a great value, they have more tint than the 4 series. They seem fine for a .22 or even a .223 but I’m not sure how they would hold up on a shotgun or an MOS slide.
    Last edited by HCM; 09-10-2018 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I'm really intrigued to see if an RDS ends up on the new service pistol widespread at some point and what brand that RDS is going to be. That kind of testing/scrutiny if these can stand up to it - I think the market may be getting really competitive. If I had to guess we'd see the new offering from Aimpoint, Trijicon's RMR, and something from Sig at the minimum.

ETA: The M17 is cut to accept an RDS. It has to be coming at some point and I'd think soon.
    The M17 is cut to accept a Leupold Deltapoint Pro. SIG has announced that they will produce a MRDS with the DPP footprint called the Romeo 1T. I suspect every major MRDS manufacturer will produce an optic sized to the DPP footprint in an attempt to secure any Army contract.

Shooting Illustrated: First Look: Updated SIG Sauer Romeo1 Reflex Sight

Army Times: Sig Sauer shows off new Army handgun with advanced sight, suppressor

Last edited by JSGlock34; 09-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I've got a few thousand rounds through my AK with a Primary Arms advanced micro dot mounted on an Ultimak and despite getting it too hot to touch on several occasions it hasn't died yet. I've since added them to my kid's M&P15-22s, my wife's AR, and a Draco. I think they make great optics for fun guns or training guns, my dedicated HD carbine still sports an Aimpoint though.

I think the Vortex SPARC II is another worthwhile mention in the category.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...bright-red-dot

I have no personal experience with it, but was pretty impressed by how well it held up in this article:

http://www.recoilweb.com/vortex-spar...die-67267.html

I don't generally think torture tests are very valuable, but the fact that it took that kind of beating and kept trucking says a lot about it. Combine that with a lifetime warranty and great vortex customer service and I think it's worth a look. It does not have great battery life though, that's the only downside. Primary Arms makes a cheapish microdot that supposedly will go 50,000 hours.

Speaking of Sig red dot's, this is the one that has my interest. Looks like a Comp M4 knockoff for around $250. Probably has nowhere near the durability, but the advertised battery life comes close (62,000 hours) and if its anywhere close to as durable, that's a hell of an optic for the money.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/el...sights/romeo7/

User Tag List