Thread: Finally Shot A Match: 3 Gun

Finally Shot A Match: 3 Gun

Stages: 5 (one shotgun-only, two rifle to pistol, one pistol to rifle, one rifle-only)

Gear:

- Mossberg 590 with OEM ghost ring sights, wooden 500 furniture, seven shell Esstac shotgun card on receiver, fabricobbled sling and mount.

- 5.56 AR (old style lightweight Daniel Defense barrel, A2 flash hider, ALG ACT trigger, Cav-15 lower) with weaponlight, LC9 extended baseplate as a handstop, Holosun 503GU on factory mount, mismatched folded irons, and Vickers sling. All mags 30-rounders between one old Lancer L5 and rest Pmag

- HK USP fullsize in .40 with match trigger, ambidextrous control lever, safety-only detent, plain black Dawson sights regulated for my 180 grain handloads at 25yd, and stock 13-round mags

Reloads: Shotgun card with spare in pocket and paired slug holder at 12:30 which weren't needed. 30-round Pmag in left rear pocket. Spare USP mag in a kydex pouch just behind my left hip.

Eyepro: Goggles for two stages then glasses.

Placed: 31/63 combined and 3/11 limited

Things I Broke:

- Got sand under the AR's mag catch checking it the day before that needed removal to clear out. Kept dropping mags when moving and shooting some drills.

- Ran the whole match with a broken bolt in the holosun mount. Didn't notice the wobbling until home. Corrosion through the break shows it's been snapped for a bit. Whoops.

Things I Saved:

- Squad mate's head. Dude set a popper and then bent down in its arc to pound stakes coming loose. I stepped over once I noticed and put a hand between the steel and his melon. Sure enough, he tripped it. I caught it and RO razzed him.

Happy with:

- My gear all worked fine. Save the optic mount, obviously.

- 180 grain pills sure dumped a couple stubborn plates without any fuss.

- Went five for five on a Texas star next to a no-shoot. First match and first star so real happy with that.

- Speaking of no-shoots. Not only managed to leave them alone but also made myself be mindful to not muzzle them as a personal decision. Wasn't perfect in the latter bit but it's a start.

- Kept up midway with my squad on the shotgun stage. All but one other ran semis. Other pump-action smoked me and it's okay because he was real good. I'd be doing a lot of work to catch up. And plan to start.

- The friendly people and fun event.

Screwed Up:

- Wearing goggles in this humid heat. Fog and sweat were a losing battle. Should have just started in glasses.

- Full-size steel pistol sihouette at 50 yards. Painted orange. Single out in the walkthrough as a bonus target for a time deduction. I forgot it. How did I manage that? Cost me one slot in my division as a reminder.

- Same stage but rifle. I was a hot mess shooting unsupported at 180 yard steel. Could lay some blame on the fogged goggles and insecure optic. But it was mostly me and a lack of breath control for a fair few rounds.

- Had barely enough water to be just a bit dehydrated at the end. Should have had much more. I knew better.

- Had a blowout kit. Did not have bandaids and basic antiseptic. Correct that oversight.

Things to work on:

- Get faster.

- Get more accurate...faster.

- Gain confidence with the above two and be able to not take as many extra shots to "be sure."

- Breathing control.

- My squad was chill and their eyes on me weren't a big deal. Had to get a grip when a second sqaud caught up a couple shooters before my turn on a stage. Noticed my heart rate go up, breathing change, and stress rise. Like to keep a more even keel going forward.

- Stage planning. Especially when there is a bunch of carboard requiring a bunch of varied shooting positions.

Takeaways: Mostly just odds and ends from watching other people shoot stages and talking with more experienced competitors. All the stuff that comes with that which could end in rambling. Oh, and those carts sure do look like they'd beat carrying a ton of junk like a hotel porter in a 1930s comedy. I should find out next time and bring the folding wagon.

Will I Compete Again? Absolutely.

Regularly? No, too poor in both money and time. Family, hiking, swimming, cycling, cycling events, fishing, camping, kayaking, and all that jazz still need doing. Plus the desire to still take at least one shooting class per year. Also need to start lifting weights on top of it all.

The Plan: Hit at least one, preferably two, 3 Gun per year. With a friend as this time. After posting this, going to see if there is a local IDPA match I can squeeze in by the end of the event season. If I like it, fit at least one per year in, as well. Bolster that by running more drills involving movement, multiple targets, and no-shoots on my own time.

Shot a second 3 Gun match, today. 2/10 Limited 21/54 combined. I don't feel like my shooting improved with regards to acciracy but I was a bit faster. More shotgun, this time. Also slugs plus handgun out to 70 yards. Would like to continue hitting a couple matches per year.

As for lessons learned from last time, I wore a Camelbak through the event and kept up with hydration. Had less time to chat with more experienced shooters about technique but did have the R.O. teach me to use the score pad and spent a lot of time doing that. Rather liked the duty but can see why so many people welch on it. The better feel for times across a squad was a nice side bonus.

Next match, I would like to volunteer for set-up the day before. It'll get me a free slot, some brownie points, and a foot in the door to try loaning a kettlebell to a stage with any luck.

The 100 yard rifle spinner ate my lunch, though. I want revenge on that thing, next match season.

User Tag List