Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    A man of 20 invests $100,000 at a 10% annual yield...
    If you know way to get 10% annual yield without risk, please tell us!

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...but unless they're slinging dope, not too many twenty year old's have 100 K to invest, let alone at 10% annually, year in-year out.
    Maybe Aunt Betty died and left the young man $100,000, Blues.

In any event, the reference was meant to illustrate a hypothetical example. I probably should have given that more emphasis.

Referencing 10% annually, that too was an example. Historically, the stock market has achieved an 11.82% compound annual growth rate since 1967 (a term of 50 years, mirroring our example). That return would turn $1 into $155.57 (includes reinvested dividends). If the young fellow started with an imaginary $100,000 it would now be worth 155.57 times that, or $15,557,000. http://www.moneychimp.com/features/market_cagr.htm

Last edited by Duces Tecum; 08-09-2018 at 11:35 PM.

I'm still enjoying accumulator status. I can open my safe and see exactly what I spent my money on and be able to touch and go shoot it. Its taken 20 years but my entire collection is mostly budget guns that I got for a steal. All of my 92's were acquired for less than $300 on GB. Shotties are all 870 police trade ins around the sub 300 mark. Pretty much all of my Glocks are blue label or police trade in, same with the mags. I think I will start paring down the collection quite a bit as I get older and the kids are out of the house. I don't want my family dealing with headache of trying to sell all of this stuff whenever I do check out.

Honestly I think guns and shooting can be a pretty affordable hobby compared to a lot of others.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Referencing 10% annually, that too was an example. Historically, the stock market has achieved an 11.82% compound annual growth rate since 1967 (a term of 50 years, mirroring our example). That return would turn $1 into $155.57 (includes reinvested dividends). If the young fellow started with an imaginary $100,000 it would now be worth 155.57 times that, or $15,557,000. http://www.moneychimp.com/features/market_cagr.htm

Minus fees, minus taxes, minus inflation. So figure maybe 7% real return. I'd be delighted with a real 10% return.

I don't mean to nit pick, but I obsess over this topic. I figure I need about $4,000,000 when I retire to guarantee my lifestyle for my life expectancy. Sigh. Then again, if I keep not going to the gym and we get some restrictive gun bans passed, I could probably get by on half that as long as I'm not afflicted with the revolver disease.

Regardless, your point about the power of compounding is well taken.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'll be 71 in a few months so I've been at this game longer than many here. I have owned at least 475 firearms and still have a large collection. I must point out that currently guns and ammunition are more readily available and are less expensive than at any other time in my 50 years of engaging in the hobby. Not too many years ago the K and N frame Smiths that people drool over were dirt cheap. If I were to confess the actual number of these guns that I got rid of because they "had little value", I would be flamed. Ditto for Colt Detective Specials, 1911 .38 supers, and many other fine handguns. Easy come; easy go. It's difficult to predict what will and will not be the next collector's item.

One important point: the good times we have right now will not last. We can not assume that these nice pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns will remain available and inexpensive. The shooting sports industry is hurting. One example is distributors blowing out ammo at or near cost. So, forum members, beware of selling your weapons because the probability is high that you will not be able to replace them. If they are paid for, keep them if you can. I learned that when I sold a gun, soon afterwards I did not have the money, and of course the gun was gone too. It's always wise to be frugal, and in this game, one way to avoid losing a lot of money when selling or trading a gun is to limit funds spent on custom work and custom finishes--that is unless you intend to keep the weapon for a very long time.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    That's a thing. It's called choice minimalism.

"Choice Minimalism: Why Mark Zuckerberg wears the same thing every day."

https://medium.com/startup-grind/cho...y-2f132f1b5706

TLDR - wearing the same clothes every day reduces the number of decisions you must make. Making pointless decisions reduces performance.

(Naturally, some say it's all BS and there's no such thing as decision fatigue.)
    I actually did that about 2 years ago I went out and bought five pairs of Wrangler cargo pants 5 shirts to go with them. Now when I'm doing something where I'm wearing street clothes I just go grab the next set in line and when I'm done I wash them and I put them at the end of the line

Banned
    I apologize in advance for this long-winded post.

When I first started buying handguns I had no knowledge. I didn't have any training and honestly I almost have to say I didn't even really understand how various handguns functioned or why I should pick this handgun over that handgun.

At first I predominantly bought 1911 pattern handguns. At some point I decided that I didn't like the idea of carrying in condition 1 because I was afraid that if I ever needed the gun I'd forget to disengage the safety and get killed in da streetz. So I transitioned to TDAs. I had a CZ75B and some 3rd Generation Smith & Wessons I decided to concentrate on the 3rd Generation Smith & Wessons because each gun was exactly the same platform.

It was about at that point that I started having an opportunity to get some actual professional training. The more training I got the more I realized that the simpler I made things better off I was. That's when I decided to confine myself to strictly 9-millimeter handguns (I did keep 1 S&W 4006 that I bought in a private sale). I sold off every handgun I owned and bought a Smith & Wesson M&P 9 and an M&P 9C.

After a couple of years with the M&Ps(which are by no means bad guns.) I decided I wanted something smaller and more concealable and since I was limited to 15 rounds anyway by Colorado law a Glock 19 seemed like the logical choice. So I sold the 9C to fund a Glock 19 and I haven't fired or carried the M&P9 since.

My wife carried an LC9 that she really didn't like for a couple of years. The first time she fired my Glock 19 she decided that was a better choice for her. Then she got a chance to try my Glock 26. She wants to try it with extended grips a couple of times and if she likes that she's probably going to get a 26 for herself.

The point that I'm making in saying that is that I have a Glock 19 and a Glock 26 and my wife has a Glock 19 and potentially a Glock 26 and all four of them will accept Glock 19 magazines so any money that we invest in magazines goes to one kind. They're obviously all 9mm so instead of having to buy all these different kinds of ammunition we can buy 9 mm by the case and it will work in any gun we've got (except the 4006 which is essentially a Safe Queen anyway).

I'm at a point now where I don't really know how I could simplify the process further. Objectively I get demonstrably higher scores in training when I limit myself to one gun. Although the difference between the Glock 19 and the Glock 26 is negligible. I don't have to decide which gun I'm going to carry when I get up in the morning. My wife is familiar with my gun and vice versa. And I believe that limited myself to the one of two Glocks allows me to concentrate more on my training and less on which gun I'm carrying.
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-10-2018 at 03:13 AM.

I've been struggling with this for a while since I sat down and actually inventoried my magazines for every gun I own to see how close I was to the old "10 mags per gun" saying.

Outside of the AR, PTR91, and AK-74, the results were not pretty. I've shored things up a bit since then; my Glock count is getting close to where I want it to be, I've given up on ever treating my old FNP-9 as a "use" gun and don't care to fill out the mag quota for that, and I've got enough Evo mags to fill my nightstand (which I did).

Nonetheless, the need for potentially adding new mags and calibers to the lineup has kept me questioning exactly how badly I want to invest in new guns or keep existing ones. I think .300 BLK is cool and hope to build an upper or buy a bolt gun in that caliber, but if it didn't feed well from most 5.56 AR mags, I wouldn't be considering it at all. Likewise, about the only new striker fired gun I'd consider getting outside of the Glock family now would be a VP9 to share P30 mags with - and even then, a VP9 would be a hard sell over yet another P30.

I think I'm drifting away from "collections," but not towards minimalism, as I grew up playing too many video games to ever standardize myself completely on a single rifle and single handgun without getting bored. I think what I'm moving towards is better described as an efficient inventory, where anything I shoot regularly stays in the same "families" of parts and ammo, and I accept that if I buy anything outside of those families, I better be willing to make a big investment to add that gun to my short list of strongly supported families or accept that I'm buying it purely as a curiosity or luxury gun, at which point I'll often back down from wanting one (I've axed an AUG, K31, and HK45CT from my wants list this way).

Banned

Edit to my post above

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post
    That's a thing. It's called choice minimalism.

"Choice Minimalism: Why Mark Zuckerberg wears the same thing every day."

https://medium.com/startup-grind/cho...y-2f132f1b5706

TLDR - wearing the same clothes every day reduces the number of decisions you must make. Making pointless decisions reduces performance.

(Naturally, some say it's all BS and there's no such thing as decision fatigue.)
    I learned in the Army that uniforms make you anonymous.

I've worked as a security guard for the last 10 years and one thing I've noticed is that the client employees that I work around don't notice me they notice the uniform.

I've run into client employees away from work, people I've worked around for years and they look me right the eye and ask me "Where do I know you from? You look familiar but I can't place you?".

About 2 years ago I went out and bought 5 pairs of Wrangler cargo pants in 2 colors and 3 blue shirts and 2 green shirts. I have all five outfits hanging my closet and if I'm doing something where I need to wear street clothes I just grab the first outfit in the line and I put it on. Then when I'm done with it I throw it in the laundry and put it at the end of the line. It makes it much easier to decide what I'm going to wear.

What I've also noticed is that around my apartment complex I seem to fade right into the background because I'm always the same and there's really nothing there to draw your eye. I figure anything I can do to opt out of the victim selection pool is good.
    Last edited by Cypher; 08-10-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    It's an interesting problem to have. It seems to be unique to our country. Maybe it's simply the reality of excess here or maybe it's the fluoride in the drinking water...whatever it is, serial accumulation is a problem that I, personally, struggle with and many others do to. If anyone has practical advice on getting rid of crap - I'm all ears.
    My wife and I have finally gotten to a point we're we're just going through every room in our house and looking at everything in the room and deciding are we ever going to use this or not and if the answer is not it goes.

I accumulate books. I currently have something like 30 Bibles and 4 complete sets in different editions of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. I've had books that have been gathering dust on my shelf for 10 years because someday I was going to read that.

We're starting with the books and that's probably the hardest thing for me to get rid of. I think the next thing on the list is going to be CDs I literally have CDs that I have not listened to this century.

But bottom line is we just had to decide we're going to do it and do it

User Tag List