Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

I like a lot of what Dave Ramsey has to say and I truly believe that he's helped a lot of people. However, I used to work in finance at a dealership and worked with multiple people who had gone off the deep end with his stuff and now had a zero credit score. I hate the machine, I really do, but the machine says you must have some active credit in your world if you ever do want a loan with the best interest rate available. PSA off.

I have gone through a similar journey but now I am coming around a bend and I really don't get much enjoyment out of shooting unless I am shooting something new and interesting.

So after purging pretty much everything except for Glocks, AR-15s, Benellis, and trying to force all my gun uses into these 3 platforms, I have starting buying other things to play with/use.

I really wish now that I hadn't sold Browning Hi-Power Mk III, Walther P5, 617 No lock, several 1911s and other guns I can't remember off the top of my head. They were accurate, interesting designs that were a welcome break from shooting the same G19 trainer over and over again. I noticed that going over to friends places and shooting their guns was way more interesting and enjoyable than just shooting my own.

What I have rediscovered, is that for me anyway, there is more to shooting than just prepping for that low chance encounter where I might need to use a firearm in self defense and trying to wring out that extra .5 second out of a shooting string.

I also discovered that, while the AR-15 platform is a great personal defensive arm and is extremely adaptable, it doesn't adapt to other uses for me as well as I had hoped. There are other better options for hunting/varmint control (for me anyway) plus trying to get the "do everything" AR-15 ammo/rifle/optic is an expensive exercise in futility.

I get much more enjoyment and effectiveness out of a Lever Action/Bolt action rifle than an AR-15 for pretty much everything other than defensive training.

While I love the IDEA of having one gun/gun type for everything, I have found that for myself I much prefer to grab a lightweight bolt action .22 Mag to shoot muskrats out of the lake instead of grabbing a much heavier and much louder AR or grab a Lever or Bolt action to go deer hunting instead of lugging that .308 AR around.

But I am kind of odd.

I'm happy with my meager group of seven firearms. Three Glocks. Couple of S&W revolvers. An AR. A shotgun.

(Now if I had adhered to the same ascetic practice with regard to knives...that would have been a major accomplishment...We each have our cross to bear, I suppose.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Less is More

Great post OP. Often times when people come to class, they will say "Man Reid, you must have a TON of guns as an instructor." My reply is "No, I only have a few. I have a G19 I carry every day, a practice G19 I shoot every week that is identical to my carry, and a 3rd G19 identical to the other two in the event one goes down. Rifles, I have a DDM4V5 for general use, and another DDM4v5 set up identically as my "go to" rifle. I really only shoot two guns frequently, my practice G19 and my practice AR-15."

They notice the theme and when they come back a year later they all say how much easier it is to get better learning on one consistent gun. I have noticed many people get caught up remaining mediocre with many types of guns rather than getting really good with one. Excellent points in your thread.
    President
    Valor Ridge Training
    www.valorridge.com
    www.youtube.com/c/ReidHenrichs

I can see the merit in this and I may actually practice something close to it.

The only striker fired pistols I own are Glocks. Not buying another type (cause they're boring and Glocks actually work).

My TDAs are all decocker only* and are close enough in operation to a Glock that my little monkey brain doesn't struggle with the switch when I carry appendix.

My "fun" semiauto type is the 1911, and that's the way it is. They're not going anywhere.

My only carbines are ARs. I've avoided the AK, Tavor, Steyr AUG, etc etc siren song.

I'm not selling the two .40s I own because the market sucks for them and .40 stayed available the last "scare" when everyone was pulling their skirts over their heads and running around in circles. (Plus I'll be ahead of the curve when people decide the 9mm sucks again )

Lever guns and bolt action rifles don't count against your total. It says so, um, somewhere. Big bore single action revolvers are fun as hell (and drive home the point about shot placement) and I need fun in my life.

* Except for a lone S&W 3913 that does not get carried.
    Last edited by Greg; 08-09-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    It wasn't hard to get more guns. At all. It took a swipe of my debit card (no more credit, cash only, courtesy Mr. Ramsay). I had more choice than ever.
    A bit off topic, but I'd recommend for the right person to consider using credit cards, assuming you're able to manage your budget and not go crazy overspending.

There are benefits that you can get from the cards themselves which can add up if you are willing to jump through some hoops. If not, it's pretty easy to get a no-fee card that gets you 1-2% back on all purchases. Gun Mutt already mentioned building credit, which can also save a ton if you're financing a house or car at a later point. Finally, there are significant fraud and purchase protections that you get with a credit card that you won't with a debit card.

Way to just ring the bell. Go ahead and be a quitter.....;-).

In all seriousness. I am in the process of really separating pure carry and training tools and pure true collectibles that will go up in value over time at a higher rate than other investments. I am also holding things that skyrocket in value during times of trouble. Also, for anyone professionally instructing, you should own and be able to shoot and teach a wide variety of guns.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I agree with the general sentiment of the OP. And like some of the other folks, I have also reached the stage in life where getting rid of stuff is more appealing then accumulating more.

But.....

It comes down to goals and being honest with yourself. For example, when I was learning to play bass, I found that I enjoyed tinkering with basses -- swapping pickups, rewiring, tweaking the setup -- as much or more than I did playing them. But I had no illusions that any of that would make me a better player.

There's nothing wrong with being an amatuer luthier or gunsmith or collector as long as you know that's what you're doing, and don't see it as a shortcut for actual training and practice.

With guns/bikes/basses/etc. there are still a lot of things I want to try and learn about, but that doesn't mean I need a growing permanent collection. If I'm interested in something, I try to find a nice used example, use it for a while, and then sell it. It's like renting.

I do plan to keep a few different guns that are appropriate for introducing new folks to shooting beacause I enjoy that.

Ramsay guy as well...

Culled the stable down to a couple 17s, a 19, 43 and will snag a few duplicates after Jan 1 when my blue label dealer allows (his rule not glocks)

A 1301 is on the radar for when the money allows and with access to a range 300 yards away I'll work on becoming proficient with them.

Oh how I lust for a no frills 1911 that runs and runs...
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

Excellent timing sir. I was about to post up a similar sentiment. I will develop a cohesive post a bit later, when I have access to a full keyboard.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List