Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy View Post
    Finally, I've had lots of help keeping my collection reasonable. I have to acknowledge the contributions of my wife and the State of New Jersey for keeping me on the straight and narrow.
    I'm certain NJ feels that you've made hollow points by singling them out.

(okay, okay...in my defense I only offer that I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet this morning...so back the hell off. )
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I'm certain NJ feels that you've made hollow points by singling them out.

(okay, okay...in my defense I only offer that I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet this morning...so back the hell off. )
    I’m beginning to regret selling that flamethrower.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Site Supporter
    I haven't been able to rid myself of some level of accumulation. There are guns that I sought out (or am still seeking) specifically because I just think it's really damn cool and I *WANT* one.

But thanks to this forum and many of the incredibly skilled and experienced folks around here, I've learned to separate my approach to 'working guns' and the 'I just want it' guns.
    Specifically, and perhaps most importantly, I don't let the ease of buying another cool gun get in the way of practice ammo for working guns and range time for working guns.

It can be very hard to get to the range sometimes, but after the drills and practice I make it a point to end the trip with a 'fun' gun. Keeps the range trips interesting and gives me something to specifically look forward to if running drills with my same old G19 or M9 doesn't seem appealing that afternoon.

I've noticed that as my skill has improved with the G19 or M9, guns I previously found interesting aren't as interesting anymore. Esoteric designs and weird characteristics or historical importance make for fun conversation pieces, but it's startling sometimes how we can go from liking a gun to apathy and wanting to sell it with one serious range session that compares it to a solid working gun. That's exactly why I sold my Makarov - I loved it until I put about 100 rounds through it on basic bill drills immediately after doing the same with my G19. The G19 was so overwhelmingly and immediately superior, it made the Mak less fun to own.

So now it takes a properly effective older gun to get me excited. Like the circa 1981 4in S&W 25-5 in .45 LC that my own Dad beat me to in a local firearm's listing.. that jerk!
    Last edited by JRB; 08-13-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    It is really tough being an "entropy warrior" - sometimes I feel like the Space Marine in Warhammer 40,000 fighting the Chaos gods
    Blood for the blood god.

Site Supporter
    Just wait til you start Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The "Box O' Holsters" is nothing compared to the "Drawer O' Rashguards" or the "Closet O' Gis". And then when you start striking and get the various pairs of boxing gloves, MMA gloves, shin guards, finger tape...

Those things also smell worse.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My total number of firearms has grown in the last few years. I am loath to turn down a good deal if it is something remotely useful that can eventually be flipped or traded for a profit if desired.
    My hook is pre-lock K and J frame Smith and Wesson fixed sight .38s. I have bought several at good prices and do not intend to flip them unless financial calamity occurs.
    I have divested myself of my two TDA pistols and two of my three .40 Glocks. May thin the Glock herd a little more by selling a G2 G17 mixmaster jail trade in that is simply not being shot. Thinking of passing my two '06 bolt guns to my son and son-in-law since I haven't hunted deer in years and if I do, there is still a M94 30-30 to do the job.
    I try to shoot my three main carry guns at least 1x/month minimum and always take a "fun" gun to the range. Lately the fun guns have been two '60s era .22 semiauto rifles - a Springfield 187 and a Marlin 49-DL. Shooting a box through these at the end of the range session and smelling the distinctive smell of burnt .22 powder reminds me of my youth in NW NC chasing squirrels and rabbits.

Vending Machine Operator

A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    I mean, I did put a P30 on layaway the same week I posted this...but in my defense I’ve been drooling over ToddG’s tests of them for 4 years so I think that counts as non-impulsive. And I got a V1 LEM so it’s...its basically like shooting my strikers so, like...my training...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LockedBreech; 08-15-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Replace the word "friends" with "wife's", and it fits my life. Of course, my wife has several guns of her own, including three P30 pistols, pretty much every modern LadySmith (revolver and auto) issued, a pair of G43 pistols, a G42, and what used to be my S&W Model 41. My wife is cool with me buying guns, and she has instigated the purchase of more than one for me.

Just this month, I have purchased a G43, a .17 HM2 rifle, and a CZ Kadet kit as well as a few cases of ammo. I also am planning on redoing my main backstop and expanding my home range. But I only have a few hobbies, and the other one is grilling/smoking meat. We are now empty nesters, and I have my own business to fund my second childhood.
    Last edited by farscott; 08-15-2018 at 06:59 PM.

We're saving for a new house and it doesn't bother me one bit that I'm not trading in my Charger in for a Ram 1500 for at least another year. Doesn't make me flinch at all that we ain't going out for fancy steak dinners for the same time frame. I'm fine with skimping on all kinds of stuff.

The fact that this means I can't jump the incredible 9mm Valkyrie Commander deal a buddy offered me goes through my mind at least 3x day. And suddenly the itch for a G29 is upon me again...and I haven't even shot my G20 in at least a year.

User Tag List