Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

This thread has made me realize something. Over the past four years, I have only shot approximately 1500 rounds of 5.56 ammo. I have three ARs that I almost never shoot. I’ve mentioned why I shoot rifles so rarely before in a couple of threads. I have several thousand dollars tied up in these rifles and their accessories.

I’ve decided to consolidate a little. I plan to sell the three rifles I have and use the money to buy a 16” KAC SR-15 and either an Aimpoint T2/CompM5 or LPVO. With a 20,000 round barrel and bolt life, I don’t think I’ll ever wear the thing out. This one rifle will be used for duty/HD and training and I’ll stop worrying about it. This will leave me more time and energy to focus on pistols which I actually like a lot more. I’ll probably get one of the FDE guns with the keymod handguard because those seem to be going for $500 less than the M-Lok ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

There are (as of yesterday....) 150 various guns at home stuffed into 4 different safes..... 22 of those are AR-15's in 5.56 alone with various combinations of red dot, LVPO or Fixed Mag optics , IR/VIS laser systems and Surefire lights attached.... I did the math recently and realized that if I was willing to part with half of my collection, which would still leave me with 75 some guns and I would be able to pay cash for a 3 bedroom house down here in Jacksonville NC, however I have absolutely no desire to ever own a house here in Jacksonville NC, half the people I know down here are trying to sell their house due to PCS orders and can't due to over construction during the surge a few years ago..... Part of the reason I've parked a bunch of money in guns.

My situation is particularly unique, I'm a single GySgt, that has no children or ex wives... who's only real interest other than work is guns and competitive shooting. Buying a new toy does not really get in the way of ammo or training classes either, currently have 16 k worth of 9mm stashed at home with another 5 k on the way from SG Ammo, along with 12ish K of .223 and other calibers, I do try to limit the esoteric stuff though just due to ammo logistics. Get to about 3-4 matches a month down here in Eastern NC and try to do all the training that comes up as well, (been a little light this year due to work schedule though....) I've been trying to limit what I get recently, But S&W no Locks in .357/.38 and Beretta's have been following me home. Just traded into a 9mm Dan Wesson 1911 as well.

I figure once I retire from the Marine Corps I might need to start to adult, but for now I'm enjoying a lack of bills, maxing my Roth IRA and my one hobby.
    Last edited by rcbusmc24; 08-11-2018 at 02:24 PM.

I have a list of guns I want, thank God I don’t have the money for them.

I do like different types of firearms so as to build familiarity and proficiency with them, after all I do plan to instruct eventually. I have strongly contemplated switching from the P30 to a Gen5 17 just to consolidate on the Glock platform.
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    There are (as of yesterday....) 150 various guns at home stuffed into 4 different safes..... 22 of those are AR-15's in 5.56 alone with various combinations of red dot, LVPO or Fixed Mag optics , IR/VIS laser systems and Surefire lights attached.... I did the math recently and realized that if I was willing to part with half of my collection, which would still leave me with 75 some guns and I would be able to pay cash for a 3 bedroom house down here in Jacksonville NC, however I have absolutely no desire to ever own a house here in Jacksonville NC, half the people I know down here are trying to sell their house due to PCS orders and can't due to over construction during the surge a few years ago..... Part of the reason I've parked a bunch of money in guns.

My situation is particularly unique, I'm a single GySgt, that has no children or ex wives... who's only real interest other than work is guns and competitive shooting. Buying a new toy does not really get in the way of ammo or training classes either, currently have 16 k worth of 9mm stashed at home with another 5 k on the way from SG Ammo, along with 12ish K of .223 and other calibers, I do try to limit the esoteric stuff though just due to ammo logistics. Get to about 3-4 matches a month down here in Eastern NC and try to do all the training that comes up as well, (been a little light this year due to work schedule though....) I've been trying to limit what I get recently, But S&W no Locks in .357/.38 and Beretta's have been following me home. Just traded into a 9mm Dan Wesson 1911 as well.

I figure once I retire from the Marine Corps I might need to start to adult, but for now I'm enjoying a lack of bills, maxing my Roth IRA and my one hobby.
    You’re a USMC GySgt. Normal person gun rules are irrelevant as they do not apply to you. You get as many guns as you want and thanks for serving.

State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Yea. Thanks.

There is only one gun I am really wanting right now... a 9mm Dan Wesson Valor. The reason I can resist is because I previously owned two of them in 45ACP. Plus, it would only ever be a range toy anyway, because I only use DA/SA for self defense.
    Yeah, I keep looking at those $1200 clearance prices and getting caught up in STAS (Shiny Thing Acquisition Syndrome). But then I remember the lifetime supply of 3953s in the safe that I got into because I was at the gun shop and thought it sure would be nice if there was a DA version of a compact 1911 or High Power with an aluminum frame chambered in 9mm. Started googling and found the third-gen Smiths. Also, I'd rather any DW be in Duty Treat, and there are no deals to be had there currently.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Yeah, I keep looking at those $1200 clearance prices and getting caught up in STAS (Shiny Thing Acquisition Syndrome). But then I remember the lifetime supply of 3953s in the safe that I got into because I was at the gun shop and thought it sure would be nice if there was a DA version of a compact 1911 or High Power with an aluminum frame chambered in 9mm. Started googling and found the third-gen Smiths. Also, I'd rather any DW be in Duty Treat, and there are no deals to be had there currently.
    I previously had a VBOB with the Duty finish. But, I really want a stainless 5" Valor in 9mm. My local shop has a stainless 9mm commander, but I want the fullsize one.
    Last edited by Shipwreck; 08-11-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    This thread has made me realize something. Over the past four years, I have only shot approximately 1500 rounds of 5.56 ammo. I have three ARs that I almost never shoot. I’ve mentioned why I shoot rifles so rarely before in a couple of threads. I have several thousand dollars tied up in these rifles and their accessories.

I’ve decided to consolidate a little. I plan to sell the three rifles I have and use the money to buy a 16” KAC SR-15 and either an Aimpoint T2/CompM5 or LPVO. With a 20,000 round barrel and bolt life, I don’t think I’ll ever wear the thing out. This one rifle will be used for duty/HD and training and I’ll stop worrying about it. This will leave me more time and energy to focus on pistols which I actually like a lot more. I’ll probably get one of the FDE guns with the keymod handguard because those seem to be going for $500 less than the M-Lok ones.

I was seriously looking at the KAC SR15’s tonight thinking “I could sell the Arsenal AK I haven’t shot in probably 6 years, .22 Browning buck mark, and my TRP and make that KAC SBR happen”.

God Bless,

Brandon

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I don’t find this odd at all. If you shoot a lot of pistol, it is easy to keep your AR carbine skills with modest amounts of carbine shooting. For most, the opposite does not apply, as much rifle shooting does not necessarily translate to handgun proficiency. Watching a number of my friends come back from a season or more of dedicated PCC competition to pistols in USPSA is pretty painful.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I don't consider collecting a problem unless it gets in the way of other important aspects of your life--like puts you in financial distress or the time you spend with your collection interferes with your marriage & family, etc.

I agree that if you are practical mined your first emphasis should be on building decent skill, and money spent on collectibles could conflict with money spent on classes and practice ammo. But some people can afford both.

Luckily I caught my problem in time and joined Gun Collector's Anonymous. They hold meetings at Jackson Armory in Dallas and assigned me Dagga Boy as my sponsor.

Here is an interesting article on a guy who got interested in WWII weapons and started by buying a Thompson, and then an M3 SMG, then a .50 Cal . . . . then a jeep, and finally a Sherman Tank.

It's actually a pretty good article. Here is a quote from it:

"It is personal for my family and me. My grandfather and two great uncles served in World War II. My wife’s grandfather, Nathan Kaplan z”l, was a truck driver in Patton’s Third Army and helped liberate prisoners in Nazi concentration camps. To Jews, each of these weapons and vehicles is a reminder of what was done to end the Shoah, the Holocaust, the concerted, witting attempt to wipe the Jewish people from the face of the earth. The attempt might have succeeded but for the fighting spirit of the Allied forces. When speaking to groups of WWII veterans, I like to remind them that they are lifesavers and life creators: They saved the lives of those they liberated from the camps, and they also made new life possible."

Here is a link to the article::
    https://www.nationalreview.com/magaz...-and-preserve/
    Last edited by Ed L; 08-11-2018 at 10:14 PM.

I still have 3 of the guns I bought in 1972 when I turned 21. I don't shoot them much, if at all, only my Python is a keeper to be passed on to my daughter.

My current guns include two HK LEMs with RMRs, two revolvers which I shoot regularly and a Glock 43 because everyone should own a small gun. Every time I look at something new, e.g., the Glock 19X that I'd like to try, I ask myself if I really need it. The answer is, "Better to spend the money on ammo to get better with what I've got."

Finally, I've had lots of help keeping my collection reasonable. I have to acknowledge the contributions of my wife and the State of New Jersey for keeping me on the straight and narrow.

User Tag List