Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Farewell to "Collecting" Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    25 guns makes you an American, not a collector. A collector is like: “Yeah, that piece is over in C wing.”

Here’s a tip from a friend who is also on the forum.

1 is none, 2 is 1, 3 is for parts for #1, 4 is for the wife, 5 is for the guest, 6 is to try a weird optics setup, 7 is the suppressed setup, 8 and 9 so your kids can find spare parts when you pass them down one day. So, having 9 of each type of firearm is perfectly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The Council proclaims this an absolute truth.

So say we all.

I spend my income on guns, liquor, cigars, books and tall brunettes. The rest of it basically goes to waste.

Life is short. I intend to enjoy the rest of mine.

Discipline differs for different people. One guy can have 1,000 guns and be completely focused on shooting one type, where another guy can only focus on shooting one type if he owns just one type. Competition tends to make you focus since you get an objective score rather than just leaving the range with a feeling.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I spend my income on guns, liquor, cigars, books and tall brunettes. The rest of it basically goes to waste.

Not bad, man. Not bad. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

And.....VERY generous to friends. I, like many, truly appreciate how good you are to those around you. Thanks to you, I now drink....;-). The rest were already vices.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    And.....VERY generous to friends. I, like many, truly appreciate how good you are to those around you. Thanks to you, I now drink....;-). The rest were already vices.
    You should check your current text messages, regarding that conversation we had about pipes and whiskey.

I spent Saturday afternoon with the Head Distiller at my favorite distillery. He's a generous fellow.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I'm still young enough to take some risk.
    Sir, if I may . . .

When you are young you don't need to take risks.

Hypothetical Example: A man of 20 invests $100,000 at a 10% annual yield, hoping to retire before he's 70, fifty years hence. By the Rule of 72, his money will double every 7 years. Fifty years means seven doublings: At the first doubling the $100,000 turns into $200,000. At the second, the hypothetical investor has $400,000. Third doubling yields $800,000 (at this time our investor is 41 years old). Fourth doubling and the investment has grown to $1,600,000. Fifth, $3,200,000. The sixth doubling comes to $6,400,000, and the last doubling, when the investor is 69, finds the original $100,000 has grown to $12,800,000.

Why take risks?
    Last edited by Duces Tecum; 08-09-2018 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duces Tecum View Post
    Sir, if I may . . .

When you are young you don't need to take risks.

Hypothetical Example: A man of 20 invests $100,000 at a 10% annual yield, hoping to retire before he's 70, fifty years hence. By the Rule of 72, his money will double every 7 years. Fifty years means seven doublings: At the first doubling the $100,000 turns into $200,000. At the second, the hypothetical investor has $400,000. Third doubling yields $800,000 (at this time our investor is 41 years old). Fourth doubling and the investment has grown to $1,600,000. Fifth, $3,200,000. The sixth doubling comes to $6,400,000, and the last doubling, when the investor is 69, finds the original $100,000 has grown to $12,800,000.

Why take risks?
    I'm a big believer in the power of compound interest...but unless they're slinging dope, not too many twenty year old's have 100 K to invest, let alone at 10% annually, year in-year out.

But yes, I totally agree that the principle works to greater or lesser degree depending on discipline and ability to steadily put money away to invest in one's future, and a modicum of luck. (Starting earlier is a definite advantage.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    1 is none, 2 is 1, 3 is for parts for #1, 4 is for the wife, 5 is for the guest, 6 is to try a weird optics setup, 7 is the suppressed setup, 8 and 9 so your kids can find spare parts when you pass them down one day. So, having 9 of each type of firearm is perfectly reasonable.
    Name:  94A7748A-3FD9-4377-A12C-894058A0C0BA.jpeg
Views: 293
Size:  41.0 KB
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I think about this a lot and it's a conundrum for me. On the one had, I really like guns. I only had two full capacity G17 mags when the 1994 ban went into effect, and since it sunset, the ever present threat of another ban has kept me focused on buying guns/mags that I couldn't get during that unfortunate decade (though I did find the money to pick up a couple of revolvers). Now, the unfortunate part of all this is that I really just don't enjoy shooting these other guns nearly as much as I like shooting Glock 9mms. Lately, I only take one pistol (usually a Glock) with me to the range. If I take more pistols, I don't enjoy the trip as much. It's sort of like passion of the gun in reverse. This year I've purchased a PX4C, PX4CC, and a P30. I've shot maybe a thousand rounds through those three pistol combined. I tell myself that I like them all, but after I shoot them I have this "but they aren't Glocks" feeling. (Maybe I need to swear off Glocks for a couple of months and shoot only PX4s.)

Anyway, even if I never shoot any of my non-Glocks again, I'm still glad that I have a selection of good pistols simply to have examples of good pistols. Having said that, if I lost everything and had to start over, I think that I would just replace the Glocks and probably not worry about the other ones (with obvious exception for hunting guns).

User Tag List