Thread: Reloading Techniques for Small Single Stack 9mm's

Reloading Techniques for Small Single Stack 9mm's

Looking for what effective techniques you guys may have found for reloading small 9mm pistols like the G43, Shield, PM9...etc.

I have large-ish hands and getting the empty out and fresh one in can sometimes be a challenge. I generally have to strip the empty out with my support hand. I have found if I rotate both my trigger and middle fingers up onto the frame / slide, it's easier to insert the new mag. Still, I don't find this 100% satisfactory so I'm looking for a better way...if there is one.

TIA
    Last edited by Redhat; 08-08-2018 at 06:19 PM.

Chuck Haggard taught a neat method at Tac-Con as part of his Pocket Poppers class. If memory serves, eject the empty magazine, transfer the pistol to your support hand pinch gripping the slide, acquire the fresh mag and insert it with your strong hand, then slingshot the slide as you reacquire your firing grip. The caveat here is that this technique works well for him since he carries his pocket pistol on his support side with a reload in his strong side pocket, easily accessible with his strong hand.

Might be something to play around with...

Quote Originally Posted by LJP View Post
    Chuck Haggard taught a neat method at Tac-Con as part of his Pocket Poppers class. If memory serves, eject the empty magazine, transfer the pistol to your support hand pinch gripping the slide, acquire the fresh mag and insert it with your strong hand, then slingshot the slide as you reacquire your firing grip. The caveat here is that this technique works well for him since he carries his pocket pistol on his support side with a reload in his strong side pocket, easily accessible with his strong hand.

Might be something to play around with...
    I thought that was pretty clever. I shot a J frame in that class so I couldn't fully recall how he demonstrated that reload.

When shooting S&W Shield, Walther PPS, G43 size guns the normal overhand racking of the slide is "iffy" for me as there isn't much room up there. I get by better pinching it from the rear. I'm concentrating on what works best on not so much pocket size micro's.

I haven't tried a G26, does it have the same issues?

A couple of thoughts here...

Carrying a reload can help with stoppages, etc, and is probably the only reason I realistically carry a reload when packing my Kahr PM9.

Getting the magazine out requires me to "fan" the bottom fingers of my hand. I can do this while "pinching" the gun with my index and middle fingers.

I really try to find the back of the mag well with the back of the magazine in order to insert the magazine into the pistol - this seems to provide consistency during the reload - with such tiny magazines, it is a chore to get it loaded.

The reloads aren't "fast", but in the 2 seconds par they're pretty doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    A couple of thoughts here...

Carrying a reload can help with stoppages, etc, and is probably the only reason I realistically carry a reload when packing my Kahr PM9.

Getting the magazine out requires me to "fan" the bottom fingers of my hand. I can do this while "pinching" the gun with my index and middle fingers.

I really try to find the back of the mag well with the back of the magazine in order to insert the magazine into the pistol - this seems to provide consistency during the reload - with such tiny magazines, it is a chore to get it loaded.

The reloads aren't "fast", but in the 2 seconds par they're pretty doable.
    Re carrying a reload, I definitely don't feel as in control as I would like since I'm holding on with fewer fingers. I do feel the same way about stoppages and especially with single stack pistols holding 6-8 rd magazines...and the fact these smaller guns can sometimes be less reliable, the likelihood of me needing to reload seems higher.

My problem with inserting a magazine at speed is the bottom of my hand getting in the way of the mag well. I would "slam it home" anyway if I had to but during practice I'd rather not include a piece of my flesh with it. For me, these guns require a different approach to be sure.
    Last edited by Redhat; 08-09-2018 at 12:20 PM.

User Tag List