Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cz SP01 or Beretta 92 (Elite LTT)

Cz SP01 or Beretta 92 (Elite LTT)

I have been putting a lot of rounds through my CZ 75 and P-01. I love the DA / SA platform and my CZs have been great so far. If it wasn't for this forum, I would just buy a SP01, send it to Cajun and be done. However, all the talk about the Elite LTT has me considering giving another DA / SA platform a try. So, my question here is how does the SP01 compare to the 92? For those that have shot both, how do they compare and what do you like / not like about the two platforms. Any feedback from the members here would be really appreciated.

Both are quality guns, but it really comes down to personal preference. I'm partial to Beretta, but I'm sure you could get the opposite reaction from someone else.

I own a CZ SP01 Accu-Shadow my only CZ and 6 other 92 variants one being the LTT Elite. Comparing my SP01 variant and my Elite LTT there is no comparison. The CZ stays in the safe, the 92's are constantly shot.

Quote Originally Posted by crossrifles View Post
    Both are quality guns, but it really comes down to personal preference. I'm partial to Beretta, but I'm sure you could get the opposite reaction from someone else.

I own a CZ SP01 Accu-Shadow my only CZ and 6 other 92 variants one being the LTT Elite. Comparing my SP01 variant and my Elite LTT there is no comparison. The CZ stays in the safe, the 92's are constantly shot.
    Thank you VERY much for the reply. What do you like better about the 92?

To be honest, I am about 95% ready to get both and figure it out on my own (I blame this forum for my buying habits)! However, I would still like to hear your and others options about the two pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrockclimb View Post
    Thank you VERY much for the reply. What do you like better about the 92?

To be honest, I am about 95% ready to get both and figure it out on my own (I blame this forum for my buying habits)! However, I would still like to hear your and others options about the two pistols.

My understanding and ability to work on the pistols to maximize performance with support for the platform from companies like LTT. I shoot them in classes and in competition. Although my issued duty pistol since last year went from a DA/SA to Striker gun.

I recently purchased a PX4 Compact Carry and it is my primary carry gun, the familiarity between the DA/SA with my 92's compliment each other well plus controls are located in the same place.

I prefer a de-cocker, I know you can get a SP01 with one, but my Accu-Shadow doesn't have one and it's a deal killer for me. Don't get me wrong, I think the CZ is a great pistol and well made. I just have way more time on the 92 and running a CZ just as fast....... isn't happening without some real dedication that I'm not willing to do.

I was absolutely stoked about the CZ, but that wore off quickly and I constantly go back to the 92. They really have been the most reliable and enjoyable handguns I've owned.
    Last edited by crossrifles; 08-07-2018 at 08:54 PM.

Also would like to add my thank you. The CZ Shadow 2 is at my LGS, and my LTT Elite is on order. I have both PX4's and compact CZ's (P01 and D), and prefer the PX4 due to the controls (slide stop is easier, etc).
    Been tempted by the Shadow 2, but this makes me think that money is better spent on ammo and range time, then another safe queen (already bought one SQ, this year for the occasional shoot, based on my past).

The short answer is, it all comes down to what your intended purpose is - gaming vs concealed carry.

You can get an amazing trigger in either a CZ or a Beretta; however, in my opinion the SP-01 variants are largely only suitable for gaming or general range use, whereas the Beretta can be used for both. The standard SP-01 could be used, but manual decocking in a stressful situation is unadvised and given the Shadow has no firing pin safety, that's not advisable for carry. They do make decocker variant SP-01's, but the trigger generally sucks in my experience, even when specifically worked on by someone who knows what they're doing (e.g. Cajun).

In addition, while both are durable guns in that they'll go the long haul on overall round counts, an SP-01 will break a whole lot more parts along the way than a 92 will.

Shadow is purpose built gaming gun. 92 is a carry gun that doubles as a competition gun, especially if you do trigger work to it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My understanding and ability to work on the pistols to maximize performance with support for the platform from companies like LTT. I shoot them in classes and in competition. Although my issued duty pistol since last year went from a DA/SA to Striker gun.

I recently purchased a PX4 Compact Carry and it is my primary carry gun, the familiarity between the DA/SA with my 92's compliment each other well plus controls are located in the same place.

I prefer a de-cocker, I know you can get a SP01 with one, but my Accu-Shadow doesn't have one and it's a deal killer for me. Don't get me wrong, I think the CZ is a great pistol and well made. I just have way more time on the 92 and running a CZ just as fast....... isn't happening without some real dedication that I'm not willing to do.

I was absolutely stoked about the CZ, but that wore off quickly and I constantly go back to the 92. They really have been the most reliable and enjoyable handguns I've owned.
    My CZ excitement wore off pretty quickly too, Shadow 2 is now on consignment at a LGS and I'm plotting ways to add more Berettas. Come to think of it, I'm on a bit of a standardizing kick, moving the Glocks along as well.

Sp-01:
    Smaller slide
    Heavier Frame
    Narrower grip frame
    Frame mounted safety/decocker (depending on model)
    More complicated trigger internals (More of a pain to maintain or adjust on your own. The cz 75 sear cage has three tiny, annoying springs in it)

Beretta 92:
    Slightly taller slide/Front scallop is nice for front slide manipulation
    Lighter alloy frame
    Slightly fuller in the hand (excluding vertec options)
    Slide mounted safety/decocker (Even in G config, you have to be ok working around it while manipulating the slide. Either pinch method for running it from the rear, or over the top grabbing infront of the levers).
    Simpler mechanism/easier to detail strip and reassemble (Can be done in minutes, with minimal Scotch or crying)
    Probably cheaper magazines
    Spare parts available and cheap

Both a Langdon trigger job and Cajun job will be excellent. Different, but both very good. Beretta DA pull is slightly longer. CZ's pull in DA from half cock so the pull is a little shorter stroke. Biggest differences are gonna be the weight and the different ergonomic languages. Hand placement. Trigger reach, etc. . . I found the Berettas just put all the controls exactly where I need them for my hand size. YMMV

Site Supporter
    I've owned the two in question and still have a P01, PCR, and Beretta 92. I've not been without a B92 since they hit the market. I consider the 92 the most studied, researched, and most widely issued of any other pistol available. The 92's record speaks for itself. I've never owned a CZ that did not have a trigger spring break. I've owned a couple that had extraction problems. Yes. These issues were fixed. I've vetted the two that I own and trust them for occasional carry and as a companion when out fooling around in the field. If I had to decide which brand to keep, it would be Beretta without any doubt. Not giving you a smart answer, I'm telling you to buy both. Everybody needs at least one B92, one Glock, and one CZ handgun.

User Tag List