Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catastrophic Wildfires? Thank the Greenies and Forest Service

Catastrophic Wildfires? Thank the Greenies and Forest Service

Saw this today, and it kind of looks familiar, but not sure if it was here or somewhere else, but typical of envro-jihadis f'ed up in any case.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/https://twitter.com/KatiePavlich/status/1026813596351823872
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Coincidentally, I just read this yesterday. Now, granted, I usually take anything on Daily Wire not by Ben Shapiro with a grain of salt, but:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/34068...-emily-zanotti
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I work graveyard shift, driving home 530-6 AM.

I've seen sunrises in the Smokey Mountains that weren't as smoky as what we've been having the last month or so.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Like a lot of news reporting, the article is shallow, not fact based, and more wrong then right.

The increase in wildfire is a long 100+ year social, political, and environmental issue that we haven’t really truly dealt with in meaningful way.

If you want to blame recent government and environmentalists to feel better about things, no issues for me.

Today, I am in charge of dozers cutting fire line, we’ll get some rest come November maybe.
    Last edited by Cookie Monster; 08-15-2018 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    Like a lot of news reporting, the article is shallow, not fact based, and more wrong then right.

The increase in wildfire is a long 100+ year social, political, and environmental issue that we haven’t really truly dealt with in meaningful way.

If you want to blame recent government and environmentalists to feel better about things, no issues for me.

Today, I am in charge of dozers cutting fire line, we’ll get some rest come November maybe.
    Good luck to you and your mates. Be as safe as you can.

The article makes some bold statements without much facts to back it. Unless the facts were in the last paragraph, which I couldn’t get to, cause well reading that article was a waste of life.

I would love for things to be as simple as a 6 year, 1 admin issue. That would imply that a fix is a relatively short term fight. It’s not. We have had decades of mismanagement at EVERY level of government. Yes, environmentalists play a part, but so do the voters who enable them via the ballots they cast.

Take a look at the funding for programs intended to deal with the issue. How much is it? Has it grown or dwindled? Is the budget being spent of the right things or are we pudding it away on useless shit? I’ll wager the latter.

Government is great at destroying stuff, not so much the other things. Federal government is a double whammy. And liberal federal government is like the trifecta of stupid inefficiency.

Interesting, keep us updated, and stay safe.
    #RESIST

Stay safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the kind words and support.

Just pushing contingency line yesterday, so no flames were seen by me or the equipment. Contingency line is a few steps or a few miles back from the fire in case the direct line doesn’t hold, hence contingency.

Terms of the general discussion on why fires are bigger and badder then they have been. We started removing fire from fire adapted landscapes back at 1900 or so, hardcore after 1910. The general idea was things burned was a waste of resources, timber, grazing, etc. So in a lot of places in the West we have fuel build up that is more extreme then ever. Studies show logging often increases the fuel loading unless you treat the slash, so logging alone is not the answer and it is not economical to log lots of ground, not accessible, equipment limitations, etc.

There are a bunch more parts to this. Enough for today, getting back out there

Stay safe
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Here is a link to a 2005 study of where Pulp and Paper and other biomass sites are located - it is 13 years out of date but paints a picture of the reduced logging for biomass on the West Coast. I know that several more sites have closed since 2005. Less biomass sites = less biomass consumed = less biomass removed. Depending on your point of view, that may be good or bad. However, that biomass also = fuel for fires.

https://www.srs.fs.usda.gov/econ/data/mills/

User Tag List