Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unused Long Gun Storage

How about adding some desiccant bags for added protection

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    The “ideal” is closer to 50% relative humidity. However, during the discussion, he emphasized consistency more than just low humidity. The changes in temperature and humidity have more effect on the wood items than just the humidity percentage alone (in this context), and the more extreme the changes, the worse it is for your firearms. By keeping them constant, you get a level of predictability.

Everyone will have to assess their own storage situation themselves, and in my particular case, when I weighed out the costs of construction, temperature control (HVAC) installation, dehumidifier, and ultimately, costs associated with running the systems in the vault at those “perfect” storage conditions, they quickly added up.

As of now, it costs me about $150 a month to maintain the set up I have here in SW VA. In the winter that drops to about $40 a month. But on average, my bill for just the vault pushes $800 a year. To maintain 50% would be about double that, for a 10-15% decrease in humidity. Just a shot in the dark, but I would guess that most of our members aren’t really in a spot where that $1600 recurring price tag for maintaining perfect conditions outweighs performing a little more hands on interventions.

My HVAC unit also serves as a dehumidifier, but not enough to maintain a constant 65-70% without sending my electricity bill through the roof, which led me to an additional stand alone dehumidifier that costs less to run, but requires being emptied regularly. In a perfect world, it would go to a drain outside, but the terrain outside of the vault doesn’t slope down enough to draw the water away from the foundation. Right now I empty it in the AM and in the PM before I go to bed (1.5-2 gallons each time). When I had initially set it to 55% humidity, I was emptying it several times a day. When it fills, it no longer functions, which during the summer months would quickly cause the humidity to rise as high as 65% in a matter of a few hours without it running. If I were to not empty it for a day or more at that setting, it jumped to 80+%, and would easily reach ambient outside humidity in a couple of days. So much for a vacation.

So again, we go back to a temp and humidity that I can maintain consistently, that I can afford/justify, and equipment that is easily enough maintained.

Did that answer your question?
    Yes, and thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by BJXDS View Post
    How about adding some desiccant bags for added protection
    Always a good idea depending on the volume of the space and efficiency of your dehumidifier: I don’t use them as our gunsafe is larger than most.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

For those of you that are considering a desiccant set up, stay away from the Dri-z-air canisters. They actually get wet, and if your well meaning friends spill one while helping you move, it will make every thing in your safe rust horribly.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I use this for my investment grade firearms: Attachment 28853

The curator at the national museum says its good enough for their sparse collection, I’m certain it will suffice for what I’ve got.

I’ve not seen an investment grade AK..... curious what one looks like.
    I've been using that for probably 20+ years. Mostly on natural custom knife handles, but it's great on anything.

My HVAC unit also serves as a dehumidifier, but not enough to maintain a constant 65-70% without sending my electricity bill through the roof, which led me to an additional stand alone dehumidifier that costs less to run, but requires being emptied regularly. In a perfect world, it would go to a drain outside, but the terrain outside of the vault doesn’t slope down enough to draw the water away from the foundation. Right now I empty it in the AM and in the PM before I go to bed (1.5-2 gallons each time). When I had initially set it to 55% humidity, I was emptying it several times a day. When it fills, it no longer functions, which during the summer months would quickly cause the humidity to rise as high as 65% in a matter of a few hours without it running. If I were to not empty it for a day or more at that setting, it jumped to 80+%, and would easily reach ambient outside humidity in a couple of days.
    I’ve seen basement dehumidifiers set up to drain into a small tank, with an electric transfer pump to pump the water up to the nearest house drainpipe.

http://www.greenhomesolutions.com/bl...-dehumidifier/

https://www.sylvane.com/how-to-drain...l#externalpump

As have I.

But my budget was $20k. In order to hide the overruns from my wife, I had to cover them in cash on less than half of my previous income.
    You can get much more of what you want with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.

The “ideal” is closer to 50% relative humidity. However, during the discussion, he emphasized consistency more than just low humidity. The changes in temperature and humidity have more effect on the wood items than just the humidity percentage alone (in this context), and the more extreme the changes, the worse it is for your firearms. By keeping them constant, you get a level of predictability.

Everyone will have to assess their own storage situation themselves, and in my particular case, when I weighed out the costs of construction, temperature control (HVAC) installation, dehumidifier, and ultimately, costs associated with running the systems in the vault at those “perfect” storage conditions, they quickly added up.

As of now, it costs me about $150 a month to maintain the set up I have here in SW VA. In the winter that drops to about $40 a month. But on average, my bill for just the vault pushes $800 a year. To maintain 50% would be about double that, for a 10-15% decrease in humidity. Just a shot in the dark, but I would guess that most of our members aren’t really in a spot where that $1600 recurring price tag for maintaining perfect conditions outweighs performing a little more hands on interventions.

My HVAC unit also serves as a dehumidifier, but not enough to maintain a constant 65-70% without sending my electricity bill through the roof, which led me to an additional stand alone dehumidifier that costs less to run, but requires being emptied regularly. In a perfect world, it would go to a drain outside, but the terrain outside of the vault doesn’t slope down enough to draw the water away from the foundation. Right now I empty it in the AM and in the PM before I go to bed (1.5-2 gallons each time). When I had initially set it to 55% humidity, I was emptying it several times a day. When it fills, it no longer functions, which during the summer months would quickly cause the humidity to rise as high as 65% in a matter of a few hours without it running. If I were to not empty it for a day or more at that setting, it jumped to 80+%, and would easily reach ambient outside humidity in a couple of days. So much for a vacation.

So again, we go back to a temp and humidity that I can maintain consistently, that I can afford/justify, and equipment that is easily enough maintained.

Did that answer your question?
    Nice post with great info.

Info that I have to add...
    Was told (from an HVAC person, if memory serves) that mold grows at levels >50% humidity, so was instructed to set my dehumidifier to 45%. I empty the bucket 2x/day, and it's unbelievable how much water it will pull out of the air in summer months (mid-Atlantic state), in a basement that measures 30' x 15'. At one point I kind of slacked-off, not bothering to run/empty the dehumidifier as the seasons transitioned from winter to spring/summer (in winter, forced-air furnace keeps things pretty well in-check). Long story short; found mold growing on some of my canvas/web-gear and started running the dehumidifier again. YMMV.

Many thanks to you for the info, and to the OP for asking the question in first place.

-Rainman

User Tag List