Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean carbon off WML?

Best way to clean carbon off WML?

Apologies if this has been posted before but is there an easy (IE I’m lazy) way to clean carbon off the lens and bezel of a WML? Have a tan TLR-1 HL on my 19X and the bezel being discolored doesn’t really bother me but the lens is pretty carboned up. Simple Green and a bristle brush did nothing.
    Shoot more, post less...

I pull the WML off the pistol (or AR), set it upright in the vice, soak the lens in Slip2000 Carbon Cutter while I clean the rest of the gun.

Eraser for a little carbon build up or toothpaste and a Q-tip for heavy carbon. Go easy with the toothpaste, a little goes a long way, done properly it will look new when you’re done.

I wipe the lens with Bore Tech Carbon Cleaner.

Sent from my Infernal Contraption using Tapatalk
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Also, if starting a lengthy range session in daylight, put some tape over the lens.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Bore Tech carbon cleaner works the best for me but I try to use very little since prolonged use of some solvents has been known to eat away the o-ring around the bezel. I just got some of the Thyrm Clens to try out, more expensive than tape but they seem like they won't go anywhere until I decide to pull it off.

Q-tip, M-Pro 7/Hoppe's Elite Gun Cleaner, and a little patience has cleaned mine up a few times.

I recommend keeping a chapstick in your range bag. Dab the end of the chapstick on the lens, spread it out with your finger, and go shooting. When you want to clean the lens, the powder residue will largely wipe off with a rag as it will have adhered to the chapstick instead of the lens itself. Reapply before next use and you'll never have to worry about it.

I also put tape over the lens no matter how many rounds I shoot. Just one less thing to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I use an eraser.
    This and then quick coat of oil or Chapstick.
    #RESIST

User Tag List